Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • grahamgoo
    • By grahamgoo 7th Oct 17, 11:53 AM
    • 279Posts
    • 145Thanks
    grahamgoo
    Replacing Coil Spring Cost
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:53 AM
    Replacing Coil Spring Cost 7th Oct 17 at 11:53 AM
    I've just had new tyres fitted to my 2010 Toyota Yaris (it's done ~30K miles).

The garage told me that one of the front springs was broken and should be replaced. They have quoted about £150 (I have already paid for tracking - not yet done - as part of the tyre fitting, otherwise that would be on top).

Is that a reasonable price? I certainly wouldn't be confident attempting the job myself so I will need to get it done at a garage! Also I have read differing opinions on whether to get the other side spring replaced at the same time. I don't want to do that if it's not necessary as it would double the bill, is there any advantage in doing so?

Page 2
    • takman
    • By takman 9th Oct 17, 9:13 AM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 2,402 Thanks
    takman
    The garage told me that one of the front springs was broken and should be replaced. They have quoted about £150 (I have already paid for tracking - not yet done - as part of the tyre fitting, otherwise that would be on top).
    Originally posted by grahamgoo
    I would reccomend that you get full 4 wheel alignment done and not just the tracking as that is only one aspect of wheel alignment that can be out.

It also doesn't need to be expensive. I know a garage which has the latest hunter 4 wheel alignment equipment and only charge £39.95 for a full check of the alignment and adjustment of the front toe (which is what you get with basic tracking only anyway). You will then know if there are any issues at all with your cars suspension and wheel alignment and a check like this is essential for anyone who likes to keep their car in top condition.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 9th Oct 17, 10:00 AM
    • 23,983 Posts
    • 50,736 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    I had no idea that broken springs were such a common occurrance.

I have only had one spring break since I started driving in the late 70's. A rear leaf spring on a Morris Marina with about a million miles on the clock (NHX 566L if it is still about).
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom

Doesn't look like it is, nor has it been for a while.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 9th Oct 17, 11:32 AM
    • 4,614 Posts
    • 4,041 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    I had no idea that broken springs were such a common occurrance.

I have only had one spring break since I started driving in the late 70's. A rear leaf spring on a Morris Marina with about a million miles on the clock (NHX 566L if it is still about).
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom

"Suspension" is, according to Honest John and several other recent articles, now the 2nd most common cause of MOT failure, and according to my contacts in the MOT trade, a good number of those fails are due to fractured road-springs.

Put it like this - I never had a spring break until about a decade ago, but I'm buying newer cars now - pre-2000ish vehicles don't seem to have the problem anywhere near as much as post-2000ish (not exactly, obviously).

Just to test myself, I've worked back through all the breakages I've had in my head (not in order).

2000 Fiat Seicento - NSF
    2003 Volvo V40 - NSR
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee - OSF
    2002 Volvo S80 - OSF
    2005 Skoda Superb - NSF
    2004 Audi A4 - NSF
    2002 BMW 528i - OSR
    2000 Peugeot Boxer - NSF
    2000 BMW 318Ti - OSF

I can only remember nine... and I can only find records of them too, so I may have exaggerated by 1.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,470Posts Today

8,751Users online

Martin's Twitter