Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hal17
    • By Hal17 7th Oct 17, 11:33 AM
    • 93Posts
    • 39Thanks
    Hal17
    Self employed Pension Contributions
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:33 AM
    Self employed Pension Contributions 7th Oct 17 at 11:33 AM
    Hello, I wonder if anyone can help with the following please?

I am currently taking a sum from my pension that is just below my personal allowance, so currently pay no income tax. I am using capped drawdown so could add up to £40K to my pension under the current tax rules.

I may have the opportunity for some self employed work and was wondering if I say earned £10K, could I put this into my pension and claim the 20% on this full amount?

I would stop my pension income and therefore would still not pay any income tax. I currently pay in the £2880 per year and get the tax relief. But everything I am reading says you have to be a tax payer to get tax relief above the £2880 contribution. Appreciate any help.
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 7th Oct 17, 12:08 PM
    • 23,646 Posts
    • 13,777 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:08 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:08 PM
    Re "relevant earnings".

http://www.pruadviser.co.uk/content/knowledge/technical-centre/tax_relief_members_contributions/
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 7th Oct 17, 12:23 PM
    • 23,646 Posts
    • 13,777 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:23 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:23 PM
    Re capped drawdown and MPAA

http://www.pruadviser.co.uk/content/knowledge/technical-centre/money_purchase_annual_allowance_mpaa/

But everything I am reading says you have to be a tax payer to get tax relief above the £2880 contribution.
    Not so.

Suppose a person's only income this tax year will be his salary of £950 a month from a part time job.

His earnings would be within the PA of £11,500 and he would not be paying income tax.

Nevertheless, he could pay up to £9,120 this tax year into a personal pension (relief at source) and receive tax relief of up to £2,280.
    • Hal17
    • By Hal17 7th Oct 17, 2:40 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Hal17
    • 7th Oct 17, 2:40 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 2:40 PM
    Thanks Xylophone, I really appreciate your help. I was getting confused so your explanation was excellent. Thanks again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,130Posts Today

6,683Users online

Martin's Twitter