Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 7th Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    • 5,369Posts
    • 11,024Thanks
    iammumtoone
    halloween treats
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    halloween treats 7th Oct 17 at 11:28 AM
    For those that take part what do you give out? I give out around 120 - 150 treats every year

This year I am thinking of making my own bags of sweets up, does anyone do this and does it work out cheaper?

Any suggestions of where to buy the bags and sweets to put in them? I know Lidl do a big bag of midget gems for around 40p.

This is not a debate about the rights or wrongs of trick or treat there will be plenty of those threads to comment on if you wish. My son loves it more than christmas, we are respectful when we go out and do not knock on anyones door whose house is not decorated.
Page 2
    • takman
    • By takman 11th Oct 17, 6:00 PM
    • 2,907 Posts
    • 2,424 Thanks
    takman
    I have never heard of putting a pumpkin outside your door to let people know you want to give sweets out.

It's not the done thing in the area where I live, never has been.

I live in a block of flats anyway. If someone needed access to my block they'd need to buzz my intercom anyway.
    Originally posted by annandale
    Didn't you wonder why supermarkets started selling Pumpkins this time of year if you didn't think people put them outside their houses for holloween! .
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 11th Oct 17, 7:32 PM
    • 19,725 Posts
    • 31,892 Thanks
    Spendless
    I have never heard of putting a pumpkin outside your door to let people know you want to give sweets out.

It's not the done thing in the area where I live, never has been.

I live in a block of flats anyway. If someone needed access to my block they'd need to buzz my intercom anyway.
    Originally posted by annandale
    When my kids started wanting to go out treak or treating (I'm never been as I'man older Mum and had never heard of it till I was in my late teens), I was aware that some people didn't like it, didn't want to participate, wouldn't have anything in. The easiest way to tell my kids that the houses we would visit who would a) welcome us and b) have some goodies waiting were the ones that had dressed their houses for Halloween. Not neccessarily a pumpkin but something Halloween themed that was visible from the outside.

Likewise at the same time we would make sure there was a Halloween dec up at our house, so children knew they were welcome and we'd have some treats in.

It's meant my kids have never bothered anyone knocking on doors saying 'trick or treat' because we only ever went to people who were particpating.
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 11th Oct 17, 11:17 PM
    • 5,043 Posts
    • 7,024 Thanks
    Kynthia
    I think the unofficial rule that a pumpkin lit on the porch/doorstep means trick or treaters are welcome has come about more recently with the increase in popularity of trick or treating. Obviously in the past there would have been a correlation between people who had sweets at the and a pumpkin outside, but it's become more official and a way of knowing which households not to disturb.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,810Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter