Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 7th Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    • 5,065Posts
    • 10,327Thanks
    iammumtoone
    halloween treats
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    halloween treats 7th Oct 17 at 11:28 AM
    For those that take part what do you give out? I give out around 120 - 150 treats every year

This year I am thinking of making my own bags of sweets up, does anyone do this and does it work out cheaper?

Any suggestions of where to buy the bags and sweets to put in them? I know Lidl do a big bag of midget gems for around 40p.

This is not a debate about the rights or wrongs of trick or treat there will be plenty of those threads to comment on if you wish. My son loves it more than christmas, we are respectful when we go out and do not knock on anyones door whose house is not decorated.
Page 1
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 7th Oct 17, 11:51 AM
    • 1,672 Posts
    • 2,011 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:51 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:51 AM
    I give out around 120 - 150 treats every year
    Gosh, that's a lot!

We buy the bags of mini chocolate treats, but we don't get anywhere near that many callers.

That said, whilst we don't mind the little ones (who are always accompanied by an adult) we do object to teenagers who seem to expect money rather than a mini bag of maltesers.

Perhaps we're lucky, but a sign on the door saying 'No trick or treat after 7pm thank you' has always worked for us.
    Save
    Save
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 07-10-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 7th Oct 17, 12:16 PM
    • 3,133 Posts
    • 8,706 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:16 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:16 PM
    I just get the big tubs of mixed sweets - lollies, love hearts, chews etc - and put a small handful in the buckets and bags the mids will be carrying. I don't count the sweets, just go by the weight - probably get through 5kg+.

Round here the trick or treater's just go to the houses with lights on and Halloween decorations.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 7th Oct 17, 1:40 PM
    • 19,579 Posts
    • 31,615 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 7th Oct 17, 1:40 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 1:40 PM
    I've never counted how many qty I give out. I buy in the multi bags/tubs aimed at Halloween and prefer to give wrapped confectionery.

I always told mine they could only knock at houses decorated for Halloween as they were the people who participated.

Never had any teenagers round wanting money.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 7th Oct 17, 6:47 PM
    • 1,025 Posts
    • 1,743 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 7th Oct 17, 6:47 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 6:47 PM
    How is trick or treating done where you are? Where I grew up, you went to every house on your street because you knew them all. Where I live now, you only go to houses that are decorated/lit up on the three or four streets near you, so you end up visiting people you don't know.

If everybody knows you, I would do the unwrapped sweets with no reservations, but if somebody gave my kids unwrapped sweets here I'd probably throw them away as you don't know the state of the kitchen/hands used to pack them!

If you think unwrapped sweets would be appropriate in your area, you could just use small sandwich bags (the cheap thin ones on a roll, designed for single use) and tie them with some orange or black ribbon.

If wrapped sweets would be better, I'd just get some wrapped sweets or chocolates from Lidl or another cheap shop - kids really don't need a bag, just one sweet is more than enough. You can offer extra to kids you know/like!
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 7th Oct 17, 6:59 PM
    • 18,627 Posts
    • 42,796 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 7th Oct 17, 6:59 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 6:59 PM
    I just buy a couple of the large bags of the mixed sweets throw them in a bucket and let the children take a couple each, once they're gone, they're gone. The children here are pretty good and only take one or two sweets each. That's more than enough
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 7th Oct 17, 8:32 PM
    • 7,994 Posts
    • 12,252 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    • 7th Oct 17, 8:32 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 8:32 PM
    I buy a multi pack of Haribos and hand those out. However, not had any trick or treater's for a couple of years now. I don't decorate my house but some used to call any way which I didn't mind as most were little ones accompanied by an adult.

I'll probably buy a multi pack of Haribos again this year and if the little ones don't call, I'll take them to work and share them.
    • jimbo747
    • By jimbo747 7th Oct 17, 9:21 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    jimbo747
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:21 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:21 PM
    Moved house last year, only round the corner really. In years gone by might get 2 or 3. Last year we must have had well over 50 before we ran out of sweets, and we were out for a good 30 mins trick or treating ourselves. Thinks it's because the area we are in is 'known' for going all out at Xmas and Halloween, we get people from different towns coming over. Plus it was decent weather, was quite a mild night
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 8th Oct 17, 2:14 PM
    • 4,996 Posts
    • 6,972 Thanks
    Kynthia
    • 8th Oct 17, 2:14 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 2:14 PM
    Never had many trick or treaters before moving to a new house a few years ago. The road I live on and a couple of the surrounding roads seem quite into Halloween as there's lots of young families. I barely got to sit down between 4pm and 6pm last year with the doorbell going so much. Thankfully most only knock if you have a pumpkin or lantern lit in porch or by your door so when we didn't we had no callers.

I figure it means every child is collecting quite a lot of sweets due to the number of houses they visit, so each house doesn't need to give them much. Plus I think wrapped is better. So I'd suggest looking at Poundland for big bags of foil covered chocolate eyeballs, mini lollipops, chewits, and mini Haribo. I keep a few bags of chocolate buttons for any really little ones that come.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 8th Oct 17, 2:21 PM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 10,327 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    if somebody gave my kids unwrapped sweets here I'd probably throw them away as you don't know the state of the kitchen/hands used to pack them!
    Originally posted by rach_k
    I didn't think of that. My sweets would be safe (I was even planning on wearing gloves when distributing) but of course the parents wouldn't know that.

I will stick with wrapped, thanks.
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

• iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 8th Oct 17, 2:28 PM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 10,327 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    I buy a multi pack of Haribos and hand those out. However, not had any trick or treater's for a couple of years now. I don't decorate my house but some used to call any way which I didn't mind as most were little ones accompanied by an adult.

I'll probably buy a multi pack of Haribos again this year and if the little ones don't call, I'll take them to work and share them.
    Originally posted by Deep In Debt
    Can I kindly suggest that you either take part and put out a pumpkin (plastic one from poundland will do the job) or not give anything out.

Those that give sweets without a pumpkin outside are inadvertently encouraging people to knock at houses without a pumpkin, potentially disturbing those who don't want to be.

A few years back a colleague at work eagerly got in loads of sweets for the kids but complained next day as nobody knocked, it turns out they didn't have a pumpkin so were left alone.
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

• Red*Dragonfly
    • By Red*Dragonfly 8th Oct 17, 4:57 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Red*Dragonfly
    as someone who works in a shop that sells pic n mix I'd seconds the 'no unwrapped sweets' thing, I never eat them.

but as for making up your own treat bags, I saw something on Pinterest where someone used latex gloves as the bag, and tied up the top.

found it. it's about half way down this page

http://dadsbible.co.uk/easy-make-halloween-treats-kids/

the lolly pop ghost looks easy and inexpensive, I think no might do some of these this year.
    • sweetilemon
    • By sweetilemon 8th Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    • 2,042 Posts
    • 2,624 Thanks
    sweetilemon
    I just planned to go to B&M and buy chubba cubbs and bags of sweets. Last year I just told the kids to take a couple of bags of mini sweets. I saw Halloween glow sticks in B&M which I though was a good treat, I only get a dozen or so callers so £1 for 6 is fine but for so many what about the glow stick packs off 100? Link below (it's massive ). Just something different to add to the sweets. I plan to go shopping next week, if I see halloween stickers or anything I'll pick some up for the little ones.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/201871120735?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=455126836 13&rlsatarget=pla-380570170444&abcId=1128956&adtype=pla&merchantid=1 14895742&poi=&googleloc=9046992&device=m&campaigni d=857339229&crdt=0&ul_ref=http%253A%252F%252Frover .ebay.com%252Frover%252F1%252F710-134428-41853-0%252F2%253Fmpre%253Dhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww .ebay.co.uk%25252Fi%25252F201871120735%25253Fchn%2 5253Dps%252526dispItem%25253D1%2526itemid%253D2018 71120735%2526targetid%253D380570170444%2526device% 253Dm%2526adtype%253Dpla%2526googleloc%253D9046992 %2526poi%253D%2526campaignid%253D857339229%2526adg roupid%253D45512683613%2526rlsatarget%253Dpla-380570170444%2526abcId%253D1128956%2526merchantid% 253D114895742%2526gclid%253DCjwKCAjwmefOBRBJEiwAf7 DstEgnEOBLvRi_nZnlkSiw9dpzC1SQeA_aS-a6fUKEDpZEvp78ww7PlRoCigsQAvD_BwE%2526srcrot%253D7 10-134428-41853-0%2526rvr_id%253D1330546306045
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 8th Oct 17, 10:45 PM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 10,327 Thanks
    iammumtoone

but as for making up your own treat bags, I saw something on Pinterest where someone used latex gloves as the bag, and tied up the top.

the lolly pop ghost looks easy and inexpensive, I think no might do some of these this year.
    Originally posted by Red*Dragonfly
    Some great ideas on that page. The glove is cool but looks expensive to make up for loads of kids. I might do some of those to give out when my sons friends come round.

The ghost lolly pop is great I will price up a bag of lollies and might do those.

sweetilemon - I might use the glow stick idea for next year, the cheap ones in bulk come from china so too late for this year now.
    • sweetilemon
    • By sweetilemon 9th Oct 17, 8:36 PM
    • 2,042 Posts
    • 2,624 Thanks
    sweetilemon
    Some great ideas on that page. The glove is cool but looks expensive to make up for loads of kids. I might do some of those to give out when my sons friends come round.

The ghost lolly pop is great I will price up a bag of lollies and might do those.

sweetilemon - I might use the glow stick idea for next year, the cheap ones in bulk come from china so too late for this year now.
    Originally posted by iammumtoone

Oh sorry i didn't look too closely, just a quick google search. I know you can get them in the £1 shop too but probably not as many in the pack.
    • sweetilemon
    • By sweetilemon 9th Oct 17, 8:40 PM
    • 2,042 Posts
    • 2,624 Thanks
    sweetilemon
    as someone who works in a shop that sells pic n mix I'd seconds the 'no unwrapped sweets' thing, I never eat them.

Originally posted by Red*Dragonfly
    Love the lolly pop ghosts!! Might do them!
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 9th Oct 17, 10:00 PM
    • 7,994 Posts
    • 12,252 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    Can I kindly suggest that you either take part and put out a pumpkin (plastic one from poundland will do the job) or not give anything out.

Those that give sweets without a pumpkin outside are inadvertently encouraging people to knock at houses without a pumpkin, potentially disturbing those who don't want to be.

A few years back a colleague at work eagerly got in loads of sweets for the kids but complained next day as nobody knocked, it turns out they didn't have a pumpkin so were left alone.
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    Yes good suggestion. The children that call are generally ones who live in my road and myself and rest of the neighbours know them so we don't mind them calling. We don't tend to get any others calling on us.

Good point though.
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 10th Oct 17, 1:20 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    leslieknope
    the last few years i've bought lots of sweets only to have 1 or 2 trick-or-treaters. this means i end up eating most of them... to save my waistline, i think i'm just going to buy a small funsize bag and if that runs out, it runs out!
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
    • annandale
    • By annandale 11th Oct 17, 5:12 PM
    • 883 Posts
    • 1,917 Thanks
    annandale
    I have never heard of putting a pumpkin outside your door to let people know you want to give sweets out.

It's not the done thing in the area where I live, never has been.

I live in a block of flats anyway. If someone needed access to my block they'd need to buzz my intercom anyway.
    • katglasgow
    • By katglasgow 11th Oct 17, 5:23 PM
    • 368 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    katglasgow
    I.use freezer bags and buy large multi packs of l ollies, mini choc bars, flumps and chewy things each bag gets about 5 items and a piece of fruit and a pencil. A tip i picked up from my neighbour was to have an extra tub so you can make the bags slightly bigger for kids you know really well rather than the masses. We will give away about 40 bags but it's good fun and my kids go out too and they all enjoy it. The rule round here is to only knock at doors if there is a pumpkin outside or other decorations on the door.
    Me debt free thanks to MSE
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,105Posts Today

7,788Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin