Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ash21uk
    • By Ash21uk 6th Oct 17, 11:58 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Ash21uk
    Urgent Council Tax Help
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:58 PM
    Urgent Council Tax Help 6th Oct 17 at 11:58 PM
    My mum has got a letter from Chesterfield borough Council saying they are going to court to send her to prison for £1100 to March 2018 Iv spoken to them few times and last time I was told she had a court hearing coming up when they refused to lower her payments i said i would go to court to be told I would be turned away then got this letter that actually saying applying for her to go to prison for money she needs to pay up to March 2018 this cant
Page 1
    • Ash21uk
    • By Ash21uk 6th Oct 17, 11:59 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ash21uk
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:59 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:59 PM
    Can't be right or fair can it i called up just to pay for her after getting a loan but also tried to complain to be told to stop and listen all she said was pay or prison
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 7th Oct 17, 8:10 AM
    • 11,649 Posts
    • 8,782 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 7th Oct 17, 8:10 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 8:10 AM
    My mum has got a letter from Chesterfield borough Council saying they are going to court to send her to prison for £1100 to March 2018 Iv spoken to them few times and last time I was told she had a court hearing coming up when they refused to lower her payments i said i would go to court to be told I would be turned away then got this letter that actually saying applying for her to go to prison for money she needs to pay up to March 2018 this cant
    Originally posted by Ash21uk
    Start your own thread. I think you're saying in your other post that this is now paid up to date. If not, your mum needs professional advice as a committal hearing is a serious thing. In fact she probably needs professional debt advice if she can't even pay her priority creditors

If you're objecting to councils being able to refer for committal then I agree with you but your MP would be the best one to complain to.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 7th Oct 17, 11:21 AM
    • 12,714 Posts
    • 12,051 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:21 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:21 AM
    Moved to a new thread.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 7th Oct 17, 11:25 AM
    • 12,714 Posts
    • 12,051 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:25 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:25 AM
    Can't be right or fair can it i called up just to pay for her after getting a loan but also tried to complain to be told to stop and listen all she said was pay or prison
    Originally posted by Ash21uk
    I cant tell from your post what the exact circumstances are at present.

Your Mum should certainly get advice from one of the debt charities in my signature, or National Debtline.

Who is it you have been dealing with, someone at the council, or a bailiff ?

By the aggressive response, it sounds to me like a bailiff.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

373Posts Today

1,786Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin