Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ellienad
    • By Ellienad 7th Oct 17, 11:19 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Ellienad
    Splitting up and completion dates
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:19 AM
    Splitting up and completion dates 7th Oct 17 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Me and my ex partner split a while back, our property is sold. Iíve reserved a new build and that wonít be complete until next March/April. I need to exchange in the next 28 days which is fine, but I donít want to risk losing my buyer if the sale drags out too long. I have somewhere else I can stay, so I just wondered whether itís possible to complete on my old house a couple of months before Iím due to move into the new one. I also want to be rid of my ex partner ASAP.
Page 1
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 7th Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    • 11,197 Posts
    • 15,643 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:28 AM
    Yes you can complete the sale of the current property before completing the purchase of your new build property.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 7th Oct 17, 2:17 PM
    • 42,275 Posts
    • 49,113 Thanks
    G_M
    • 7th Oct 17, 2:17 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 2:17 PM
    ..... I just wondered whether itís possible to complete on my old house a couple of months before Iím due to move into the new one. I also want to be rid of my ex partner ASAP.
    Originally posted by Ellienad
    Provided the joint sellers (you and ex) and the buyer(s) agree, why on earth not?
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 7th Oct 17, 2:39 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 7th Oct 17, 2:39 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 2:39 PM
    Is this a part exchange?

Is your ex-partner attempting to drag out the sale?
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 7th Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    • 15,386 Posts
    • 21,004 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 7th Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    Complete as soon as possible, and bie rid of ex!

I wouldn't even try waiting for a new build to complete!

Ps - are you buying the new build with a decent deposit?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,533Posts Today

8,200Users online

Martin's Twitter