Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mullygrubber
    • By mullygrubber 7th Oct 17, 8:37 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 2Thanks
    mullygrubber
    Paying off barclaycard with AMEX Gold
    • 7th Oct 17, 8:37 AM
    Paying off barclaycard with AMEX Gold 7th Oct 17 at 8:37 AM
    Hi there,

I am just wondering whether it would be possible to pay off my Barclaycard credit card with an AMEX Preferred Rewards Gold card? On the portal where you pay it does say "debit card" but since AMEX is a charge card, is this accepted or is it strictly debit cards only?

I have ordered an AMEX Gold and it should be delivered in the next 7-10 days but was just wondering whether it would be worth waiting for it to arrive or if I should pay now with my debit card.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by mullygrubber; 07-10-2017 at 9:31 AM.
Page 1
    • Weybridge78
    • By Weybridge78 7th Oct 17, 9:25 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Weybridge78
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:25 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:25 AM
    99% sure only debit.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 7th Oct 17, 11:02 AM
    • 24,086 Posts
    • 11,370 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:02 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:02 AM
    It can only be done by a balance transfer.
    Does this new card offer this?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • mullygrubber
    • By mullygrubber 7th Oct 17, 3:20 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mullygrubber
    • 7th Oct 17, 3:20 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 3:20 PM
    Hi both, thanks a lot for your replies.

The Membership rewards points terms and conditions states that a balance transfer doesn't earn any points. I was hoping it would! I guess I will just pay it off with my debit card, as usual.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 8th Oct 17, 6:12 AM
    • 2,040 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:12 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:12 AM
    A charge card is a charge card. It is not a debit card.
    You cannot transfer a balance to a charge card.
    • planteria
    • By planteria 8th Oct 17, 9:59 AM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    planteria
    • 8th Oct 17, 9:59 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 9:59 AM
    i agree Ben8282..

but then..

The Membership rewards points terms and conditions states that a balance transfer doesn't earn any points.
    Originally posted by mullygrubber
    suggests that the card can be used for balance transfers.

it's clear that you aren't going to bag points by paying off your Barclaycard with your new Amex, but this does raise an interesting idea.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 8th Oct 17, 10:24 AM
    • 2,040 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:24 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:24 AM
    I am guessing that the membership rewards terms and conditions and are general to all Amex cards which offer membership rewards, some of which are credit cards and therefore offer balance transfers.
    • mullygrubber
    • By mullygrubber 8th Oct 17, 10:25 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mullygrubber
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:25 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:25 AM
    My original intention was to not even transfer the balance but rather go into the Barclaycard portal and use my AMEX card to pay off the outstanding balance immediately (fields required for payment are 'debit card number' and 'expiry date').

I understand that it says 'debit card number' and that a charge card is not a debit card but you know how these things work sometimes.

My feeling from the beginning was that it would not work as you would simply be using a form of borrowing to pay off borrowing and this could become a vicious cycle. I just wanted to know if Barclaycard does accept AMEX (despite not saying so explicitly) since it, strictly speaking, isn't a credit card. Unfortunately, my AMEX card hasn't been delivered so I can't try this!
    • planteria
    • By planteria 8th Oct 17, 10:41 AM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    planteria
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:41 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:41 AM
    probably right Ben..

and yes Mully.. to try to create a 'purchase'. very unlikely, i'd have thought.
    • djamks
    • By djamks 8th Oct 17, 12:01 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    djamks
    Probably the main reason a card won’t let you pay off balances with a credit card (other than balance transfers) is they have no reason to pay the credit card fees on the transaction. Amex fees will be higher than other credit cards....
    • mullygrubber
    • By mullygrubber 10th Oct 17, 9:16 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mullygrubber
    For anyone wondering, it didn't work, as expected.
    • planteria
    • By planteria 11th Oct 17, 11:05 PM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    planteria
    good of you to let us know.
    • Jasonh2015
    • By Jasonh2015 12th Oct 17, 1:36 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Jasonh2015
    Hi, the Amex Gold is a charge card. Any balance on it has to be paid in full every month. It’s not a balance transfer card.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,335Posts Today

6,856Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin