Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tightasagnats
    • By tightasagnats 7th Oct 17, 8:37 AM
    • 342Posts
    • 96Thanks
    tightasagnats
    Switching when on a prepayment meter?
    • 7th Oct 17, 8:37 AM
    Switching when on a prepayment meter? 7th Oct 17 at 8:37 AM
    Hello everyone. I've just moved into a new house (3 weeks) and have prepayment meters for gas and electricity. I was told to wait a couple of weeks to request a switch to credit meters which I did but British Gas turned me down (elec) whereas Scottish power (gas) approved no problems. My credit record was excellent, but have just got a mortgage and BG says this can affect experian record.

I don't want to wait 60 days to possibly be refused again. Can I switch suppliers on a prepayment meter ? I was thing get them both in Scottish lower standard tariff then switch at some point in future.
Page 1
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 7th Oct 17, 8:43 AM
    • 2,914 Posts
    • 1,481 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 7th Oct 17, 8:43 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 8:43 AM
    Yes you can
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 7th Oct 17, 12:05 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 1,470 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:05 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:05 PM
    Hello everyone. I've just moved into a new house (3 weeks) and have prepayment meters for gas and electricity. I was told to wait a couple of weeks to request a switch to credit meters which I did but British Gas turned me down (elec) whereas Scottish power (gas) approved no problems. My credit record was excellent, but have just got a mortgage and BG says this can affect experian record.

I don't want to wait 60 days to possibly be refused again. Can I switch suppliers on a prepayment meter ? I was thing get them both in Scottish lower standard tariff then switch at some point in future.
    Originally posted by tightasagnats
    Oh yes!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/switch-prepaid-gas-electricity

I don't think you having a mortgage will alone be the reason you have been denied credit by BG (unless you are/were in arrears). I suggest most homeowners who are supplied by BG will have a mortgage, and they are not all on PPMs.

I know in the past, we successfully requested a BG PPM be replaced by a credit meter and had a morthahe. But that was for gas (shouldn't affect matters) and we were previously a BG credit meter customer without payment issues (which is a factor BG consider).

I suggest you get consult the 3 credit reference agencies to get a look at your own files to see if there is anything amiss.
    Remember, you could could be assessed as a 'bad credit risk' not because you have any previous bad credit history, but because you have a general lack of credit history at all.
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 7th Oct 17, 4:04 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    trickytree1963
    • 7th Oct 17, 4:04 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 4:04 PM
    The main reason why BG rejected you will be if you haven't had a credit/billing energy account previously rather than your current financial status.

Try EDF , see if they will switch you from PAYG to billing after switching the PAYG over.
    • tightasagnats
    • By tightasagnats 8th Oct 17, 6:36 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    tightasagnats
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:36 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:36 PM
    Thanks all, what was bizarre was that I had preciously been a BG customer on DD and have plenty of credit history. No missed payments, no bad debts, etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

677Posts Today

6,303Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin