Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 7th Oct 17, 5:17 AM
    • 2,902Posts
    • 39,423Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Saturday 7 October 2017
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:17 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 7 October 2017 7th Oct 17 at 5:17 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 7 October 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH and myself up enjoying first peaceful cuppas, he has the lurgy, so is coughing and spluttering.

Still dark here, but forecast is not great - so we'll see what we get.

Dinner last night was chicken and bacon kievs, chips/jacket potato, beans/salad, tonight will be duck in hoisin sauce, rice and noodles/stir fry type meal.

I'll be going into town this morning to visit the bank and building society, and I'll be finding DH some cough medicine.

I don't think we'll be doing much today - we had planned to visit DH's grandad but we won't go with DH not being well, grandad is generally ok health wise but we wouldn't want to take him any germs unnecessarily. We'll go next week if we're all germ free.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 07-10-2017 at 5:26 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 2
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 7th Oct 17, 11:48 AM
    • 2,653 Posts
    • 27,524 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Thanks for all your kind comments and suggestions, part of me wants to meet up and vocalise my feelings but another part can't be bothered with all the drama and thinks it best to just not go. Spend the money on meeting up with my real friends
    Originally posted by LaineyT
    Don't bother, they probably won't "get" it. I stayed clear of combining alcohol and anyone who had (intentionally or unintentionally) upset me after the death of my husband for a very long time. That was also when I realised I could divide the list of people who I thought were friends into 2 parts....friends and people that I just knew. As I said before this lot are "people that you just know". Although you now know you can't rely on them for support it also frees you from having to support them. Think of something horse related to treat yourself to and spend the money on that instead
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 7th Oct 17, 12:59 PM
    • 462 Posts
    • 5,702 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hello . Hope everyone is having a good day
    I had a good sleep last night but still woke up feeling tired and achy. I feel as if there is a cold lurking on the horizon but I refuse to succumb, I do, I do . Hopefully it is just a blip, fingers crossed.
    Anyway I have tidied and cleaned the kitchen, wiped down the worktops and filled the DW. This afternoon I shall park myself on the sofa and watch a few recorded films/ Tv. As most of the housework has already been done, I shall not feel guilty, doing nothing .
    I went round to see elderly neighbour yesterday and took her some strawberries, because she was upset again. She was crying but lucid, however when I complimented her on her pretty jumper she went down hill and said it wasn't hers, neither was the house, etc. It was as if someone had switched her channel IYSWIM. The conversation got worse after that and I was glad to be rescued by the carer, as I was afraid to leave her alone. It made me upset to see her like that too .
    Tea tonight will be hot dogs as I found some rolls and sausages in the freezer, followed by strawberries and cream.
    Right off to get another medicinal coffee ( and maybe a chocolate roll ) so sending healing vibes and hugs all round.
    LaineyT if it were me I wouldn't go or have any contact. Who needs 'friends' like that.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 7th Oct 17, 1:40 PM
    • 1,295 Posts
    • 14,655 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Hello all, I have spent quite a lot of the morning sneezing but seem to have stopped. I can't afford the time to be ill.

Lainey, I think you have made a good decision, I suspect that if you did tell these not very good friends what you thought, they would all be very sanctimonious about ther so called reasons for not contacting you. I've lost contact with a couple of 'friends' and afterwards realised that they had stopped contacting me as I was no longer useful to them. Once I realised, I chose not to make contact and never heard from them again. To me, that's not friendship, that's taking the micky.

Those of you who are now retired, at what age did you retire? If you don't mind the question, that is. Do ignore if too nosy.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 7th Oct 17, 1:58 PM
    • 3,282 Posts
    • 20,377 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Not retired..... wish I could. I'm nearly 58!
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 7th Oct 17, 2:20 PM
    • 10,051 Posts
    • 108,010 Thanks
    LameWolf
    It's wet and gloomy again here. My grass needs cutting but it's rained at least every other day for the last 8 weeks so the garden hasn't dried out enough for me to do it (clay underneath). It's going to come to the point soon where I have to cut it any way. Today is a housework day. The House Troll (aged 12) is going to help me to bring the hoover downstairs as after falling a couple of weeks ago when carrying the washing basket down I'm a bit scared of doing the same again. As my leg has been so bad I haven't done much in the way of cleaning lately so today is the day (my leg isn't much better but I feel better which helps ).
    Originally posted by CRANKY40
    Cranky if you're going to attempt stuff, please take it steady and don't risk your poorly leg. What I do is to try and think each job through before I start, identify the bits that could get a bit "hairy" and see if I can work out a better way to do them (my left knee regularly gives way with zero warning when standing in the kitchen). I'm sure the HT will assist if asked.
    Thanks for all your kind comments and suggestions, part of me wants to meet up and vocalise my feelings but another part can't be bothered with all the drama and thinks it best to just not go. Spend the money on meeting up with my real friends
    Originally posted by LaineyT
    Personally, I'd call these acquaintances "water under the bridge" and keep moving onwards and upwards. But I have a method of making a decision that works - toss a coin. Literally. You don't have to actually do what the coin says, but you'll know what your heart really wanted by whether you're pleased or disappointed with the result of the coin toss.

I hope that made sense - I've had virtually zero sleep again and am running on fumes today!
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 7th Oct 17, 2:58 PM
    • 5,962 Posts
    • 35,611 Thanks
    Gers

Those of you who are now retired, at what age did you retire? If you don't mind the question, that is. Do ignore if too nosy.
    Originally posted by ancientofdays
    I 'retired' aged 61. Went back to part time teaching aged 62. A six month break from long distance travelling, toxic working colleagues (not all) and the start of my superannuation did me the world of good. Sitting around for longer would have been deadly.

Mind you I resigned from work, moved from Newcastle back to Scotland, renovated a seriously dilapidated cottage and sorted out my priorities in that time. Having a pension and a salary was a liberation. Only having a pension was not so good! My small hours of work now gives me back my liberty.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 7th Oct 17, 3:04 PM
    • 5,962 Posts
    • 35,611 Thanks
    Gers
    My quiet day has been really lovely. The rain sort of dried up though it's still grey and windy.

I took my rubbish to the 'civic amenity' and did a little shopping for soup ingredients. My wine hasn't arrived yet, the driver was taking wine to Glen Coe so I suppose he's coming to me on the way back. The five litres of white vinegar has arrived, I couldn't find a local ethnic shop anywhere near here so good old A*azon turned up trumps again.

After reading a newspaper article I've ordered some different moisturise to try and an Australian cream for a friend who is suffering from sore skin on her fingers and hands. Just trying to see if anything other than steroid creams can help her.

The woodburner has just been lit so I'll cosy down soon with my book and a cup of tea.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 7th Oct 17, 3:14 PM
    • 1,780 Posts
    • 16,728 Thanks
    csarina2
    I retired at 63, when my health started to break down several UTI's in a row made me see the light.

I was working in my own business, so just packed in and that was that!! I was lucky that I had 3 pensions coming in, it would not have been so easy otherwise.

We have had a bit of rain, did not last all that long, enough not to have to water the new grass till Monday.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 7th Oct 17, 3:18 PM
    • 3,699 Posts
    • 22,727 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    Originally posted by ancientofdays
    AOD I retired at 60, as soon as I could draw my state pension. That was in the good old days before they moved the pension goalposts! I didn't have time to be bored as DD kept having babies that we ended up looking after so that she could go back to work part-time. She knew which was the easiest option I have to say!!

I have now downed tools for the day, although I am sure I could find some jobs if I felt so inclined! I was pleased with my Sparks offer stock up this morning, including my free loaf. Even the young chap on the till was impressed with my haul! Back home to make lunch, do a small pile of ironing and make a bargain pan of celery & stilton soup using Aldi Super 6 celery and a chunk of ys stilton spotted for £1. Just whizzed it and waiting for it to cool to pot up for the freezer.

Plonked down on the sofa ready to watch a few things on catch-up to find Mr TA commandeering the tv, flicking around all the sport channels. Grr! No matter I shall get my feet up and read instead.

Looking forward to tonight's Strictly, popcorn at the ready for Movie Week. I haven't narrowed down my favourite just yet but leaning towards Gemma as she is the "local" girl and I like her sense of humour!

Have a nice evening folks if you can xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 7th Oct 17, 3:27 PM
    • 12,174 Posts
    • 35,760 Thanks
    Nelski
    52 here so not retired and never will there is no golden handshake here sadly
    Must be lovely to be not working and have that guaranteed money every month....my mum always said I should work for the government somehow I think she was right
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Oct 17, 4:29 PM
    • 4,109 Posts
    • 33,949 Thanks
    Floss
    53, not retired although we have been put in the "lucky" position by DH's late lovely parents where we now do not need me to work full-time, all the time, hence the part-time contract earlier this year and the new temp contract until Dec/Jan. The current plan is to keep doing contracts when I want until I find my ideal of p/t PA or office manager type work.

I am allegedly supposed to be able to retire at 66/67 when my state pension kicks in (if they don't move it again and there is still a scheme in 14 years or so ) and have a small old works pension and a small private pension that both start at 60 with small-ish local government pension at 65, but have a mortgage until I am 69, so can't see retirement happening before then unless my Premium Bonds finally come up after 53 years!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Oct 17, 4:35 PM
    • 4,109 Posts
    • 33,949 Thanks
    Floss
    Am currently surfing t'interweb with a warm fluffy tabby on my knee, watching the traffic trundling past our house. We live on a main route into / out of town that the locals use when the Lights are on so as not to go on the illuminations routes

DH is playing with the Kenwood sausage maker and the meat he bought this morning...he is off to the Borders tomorrow to stay with an old friend of his for the friend's wife's funeral on Tuesday so am hoping he takes some of the sausage mountain with him as there is not room in the freezer for them all

We've got some local game for tea tonight, to be enjoyed with game chips, h/g french beans, bread sauce and a bottle of red & Strictly followed by last night's Cold Feet and some new-job-fizz
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 7th Oct 17, 4:46 PM
    • 3,216 Posts
    • 28,262 Thanks
    maddiemay
    I am 68 and retired at 61, I was one of the last lucky ones to be able to draw state pension at 60. I had not intended retiring, but the very small company that I worked for folded so no choice. I decided to give myself 6 months off (worked from 16 to 61 with no breaks) and then look for something part time, found that I enjoyed being a lady of leisure, then illness kicked in so never went back. I was lucky that mortgage had been paid off and OH had reasonable pension. For me the main reason for being OK financially is that we can now manage with One car, I would struggle to run my own vehicle now.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 7th Oct 17, 6:21 PM
    • 5,962 Posts
    • 35,611 Thanks
    Gers
    I 'retired' aged 61. Went back to part time teaching aged 62. A six month break from long distance travelling, toxic working colleagues (not all) and the start of my superannuation did me the world of good. Sitting around for longer would have been deadly.

Mind you I resigned from work, moved from Newcastle back to Scotland, renovated a seriously dilapidated cottage and sorted out my priorities in that time. Having a pension and a salary was a liberation. Only having a pension was not so good! My small hours of work now gives me back my liberty.
    Originally posted by Gers
    Just to add that my SP doesn't kick in until July 2019. I lost out on the second move of pension dates. My health is fine. My grandparents (and even parents) were so much 'older' than me at my age, the war years certainly took their toll. I'm probably a baby-boomer, if I understand the term properly, and so one of the hate figures of the current generation.

My wine arrived at 4.00pm and the chap hadn't been to Glen Coe yet! Wine and vinegar stashed away in the small barn. Think I need a trip to Costco next for loo rolls! Can't run out over winter.

Old book finished, new book started, old wine finished, new wine not started!
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 7th Oct 17, 6:42 PM
    • 4,933 Posts
    • 47,664 Thanks
    meanmarie
    I retired at 62, having been on sick leave for a year, I would not have been eligible to retire until 65 and couldnt think about going back. I have spent the intervening 10 years knitting, sometimes looking after grandchildren, and travelling.....on several memorable occasions to meet otherMSErs. Travelling seems to have gone on the back burner as OH no longer likes to travel.....I need to get myself back into the mindset of travelling alone.

Lainey......I think that you would be wise, and happier, to stay at home.

Cranky....please take care, the cleaning can wait.

We are having some repair work done to the roof........roofer advises that he might get away with just replacing the slates (unfortunately not with the original Blue Bangor ones), but said that when he strips the slates he could find anything, which could cost as much as €20k.......not a possibility for us at present, so we are going with an option that will tie the slates together and waterproof the roof....may only last 5/10 years but we may be able to afford a proper job then.....or we may have passed on and made it someone elses problem!!

Take care everybody

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 7th Oct 17, 7:14 PM
    • 1,888 Posts
    • 18,723 Thanks
    snoozer
    I left work five years ago at 53 to help look after mum and dad and apart from a brief foray back to work I haven't had paid employment since. I can take my work pension from March but I have at least 7 years for state pension. Luckily DH can afford to keep me, we made sacrifices over the years to pay extra into his pension so I've told him if he leaves me it will be war. He retires in December and is worrying that he'll be bored, silly man, I'll keep him occupied (no sniggering at the back).
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 7th Oct 17, 8:31 PM
    • 1,749 Posts
    • 20,818 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Another 53 year old here and I dropped down to part-time work 5 years ago when the mortgage was finally paid off. As many are aware I left work last September to care for my Mum and am now thinking about going back into sort of paid employment with an eye on my pension pot. No doubt the goalposts will move again as far as the state pension is concerned
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 7th Oct 17, 9:49 PM
    • 1,295 Posts
    • 14,655 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Thank you. I am still working at 66, I went down to part time, only a bit, this week and the previous week I have worked additional hours to cover for one supervisee,. I.find that I am getting more and more tired nnow. I could have claimed my state pension 5 years back, am letting it build up. I also was able to do a flexible retirement thing so to counteract the lower salary, I also pick up a pension, I think I'm quite lucky in that.

My job is emotionally taxing. I am starting to think that I'm just too old, there isn't any one now older or more experienced, I am not sure that is a good thing maybe I am getting set in my ways.

I think am just a bit down so no worries, I'll just carry on. Someone has to, we need to have one family member actually earning a living.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

212Posts Today

1,251Users online

Martin's Twitter