Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 7th Oct 17, 5:17 AM
    • 2,842Posts
    • 38,392Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Saturday 7 October 2017
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:17 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 7 October 2017 7th Oct 17 at 5:17 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 7 October 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH and myself up enjoying first peaceful cuppas, he has the lurgy, so is coughing and spluttering.

Still dark here, but forecast is not great - so we'll see what we get.

Dinner last night was chicken and bacon kievs, chips/jacket potato, beans/salad, tonight will be duck in hoisin sauce, rice and noodles/stir fry type meal.

I'll be going into town this morning to visit the bank and building society, and I'll be finding DH some cough medicine.

I don't think we'll be doing much today - we had planned to visit DH's grandad but we won't go with DH not being well, grandad is generally ok health wise but we wouldn't want to take him any germs unnecessarily. We'll go next week if we're all germ free.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 07-10-2017 at 5:26 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 7th Oct 17, 6:44 AM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 8,329 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 7th Oct 17, 6:44 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 6:44 AM
    Morning everyone,

Thanks for starting the thread nmlc.

Floss congratulations on your new job.
    Meanmarie I hope that your OH is ok and his blood pressure has come down.
    Nannywindow You have my sympathy. It is so annoying when you make a special trip to a shop for something and can’t get it, even more so in your case as you just wanted to order it from Argos in the beginning.
    TravellingAbuela I hope that you enjoyed your evening to yourself yesterday. I don’t know how you manage to do everything that you do, I feel tired just reading what you are fitting in to your days.

Thank you for all of your suggestions and experiences of different makes of fridge/freezers. It was really helpful to hear from different people. I agree about AO, I think they are a really good company and that’s who I got my recent washing machine from, they were by far the cheapest for the make/model I decided on.

I had a look in the local electrical stores and then took the train to the next large town, in part because they have a John Lewis and they stock a few makes not stocked at the stores I went to. In the end I narrowed it down to two makes and spent the evening researching reviews and prices and finally ordered a Liebherr. It’s not a brand I had even heard of before yesterday. I just hope that nothing else breaks and is beyond repair for a long while. I couldn’t manage without a fridge/freezer though.

It is being delivered tomorrow between 7.00am and 7.00pm so an early start if I’m not awake and up anyhow, as I have been lately.

I need to go and collect my prescription in town this morning. With all the rushing around yesterday I forgot. Then I think I’m going to have an easy day watching some TV and reading.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 7th Oct 17, 7:05 AM
    • 1,608 Posts
    • 18,961 Thanks
    LaineyT
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:05 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:05 AM
    Morning everyone and thanks for the start nmlc.

Up early as am on part livery only which basically means we do our own horses at the weekends and Miss Lulu will want her carrot breakfast! It's wet and windy out there so will need to wrap up.
    The farrier is still poorly so cancelled again yesterday, apparently it's the first time in seven years so will let him off.
    Not masses to do the way of housekeeping, I did want to get some spring bulbs into pots but that will depend on the weather, bit of a fair weather gardener me
    Have a bit of a quandary and would appreciate your opinions please? Years ago I worked with a nice group of ladies and we all got on very well, work wise and socially. Various life changes meant that we drifted apart but still kept in touch on birthdays etc and the occasional meet up the last of which was nearly four years ago. One lady I was particularly closer to and made her aware of what was happening with Mum etc but never heard anything back which have to say did hurt a bit. Anyways, received a round robin type email last week saying did we want to meet up next saturday for drinks and a meal, everyone else seemed really enthusiastic and I agreed but am now having reservations. Surely friends are for bad times as well as good and am hurt there wasn't even an acknowledgement that I had lost my Mum? It will be an expensive night as it's in Cambridge and quite frankly I don't know if I can be bothered, what would others do?

Glad to have sorted your FF Holly we got ours from JL a couple of years back and have to say the service wasn't great so will try AO next time need an appliance.
    Hugs to Spekys Gran and all those going through tough times.
    to Floss on the new job.

Have a good day folks x
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Oct 17, 7:31 AM
    • 3,933 Posts
    • 31,767 Thanks
    Floss
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:31 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:31 AM
    Lainey i think i would gracefully bow out, what with the expense of recently acquiring your lovely Lulu and being between employers. I agree with you that friends are for good AND bad times, and if they don't fit those criteria they aren't real friends IMHO.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 7th Oct 17, 7:44 AM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 21,623 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:44 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:44 AM
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. It's a soggy start in Paradise this morning and not forecast to improve much. Tomorrow will be better apparently. I hope so as I really must do some sorting out in the garden. It is an utter disgrace. I used to enjoy gardening but now find it hard work and would rather spend my time doing something else.

Today, however, not much is planned and I am hopeful of a relatively easy day for a change. I do want to get the bus down into town though and pay a visit to M & S. Despite my intentions of not buying anything for the freezer I am being tempted by the new Sparks offer of 20% off frozen fish. I have decided to stock back up on their smoked haddock and also their dusted and seeded haddock. A free soft loaf is also on offer so it would be rude not to get one of those too!

HH we had a run of things breaking down the first half of last year. One thing after another died on us.

LAINEY I am with you on this. Who needs fair weather friends. A true friend is there for you through the good times and bad and I can understand your reluctance to meet up.

Well done FLOSS! ((HUGS)) to all in need/want of them and have a good day if you can folks. Take care xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 7th Oct 17, 7:45 AM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 4,524 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:45 AM
    Lainey what floss said!
    • Gers
    • By Gers 7th Oct 17, 7:45 AM
    • 5,833 Posts
    • 34,286 Thanks
    Gers
    Morning everyone.

Back to wet, grey and cold weather.

Yesterday my journey to Dunoon and back went very smoothly. Itís about 72 miles each way so took nearly two hours. It was nice working with school pupils again and, thankfully, they were very chatty and outgoing so no grunting or silences.

On the way home I found a parking space right smack outside the Chinese takeaway so felt honour bound to pop in. They were so busy, it was as if a bus had just turned up and everyone on it wanted a takeaway. I thoroughly enjoyed the food, such a treat!

Now Iím still tucked up. Seems very weird not being with DM on a Saturday. Iím sure Iíll find things to do. Thereís going to be a delivery of wine later this afternoon. Thatís about it.

Lainey I understand your feelings. Iíd feel really hurt to and would not want to go, especially if they knew about your DM. Iíd resent them too much, drink more than a little, lose my inhibitions and let blast. Not sure that thatís any good either so Iíd not go! Follow your instinct and keep your heart safe.

Take care everyone, I wish you all a happy Saturday.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 7th Oct 17, 7:47 AM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 8,329 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:47 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:47 AM
    .ne lady I was particularly closer to and made her aware of what was happening with Mum etc but never heard anything back which have to say did hurt a bit. Anyways, received a round robin type email last week saying did we want to meet up next saturday for drinks and a meal, everyone else seemed really enthusiastic and I agreed but am now having reservations. Surely friends are for bad times as well as good and am hurt there wasn't even an acknowledgement that I had lost my Mum? It will be an expensive night as it's in Cambridge and quite frankly I don't know if I can be bothered, what would others do?
    Originally posted by LaineyT
    Lainey I think if I were in your position I would politely make my excuses and not go. Real friends are there for the bad times as well as the good if they are true friends, even if you are not in close contact. It's understandable that you feel hurt that they haven't acknowledged the loss of your mum. xx
    • elona
    • By elona 7th Oct 17, 8:17 AM
    • 11,203 Posts
    • 59,426 Thanks
    elona
    • 7th Oct 17, 8:17 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 8:17 AM
    Lainey

I agree with the other comments as it does not sound like you would enjoy the event and it would be an extra expense that is not likely to be worth it.

DDs and sil arrive about nine thirty to take me out for a trip to the seaside ( place that has a lot of fond family memories.) Youngest stayed over last night so after having a quick shower and getting changed we will have some breakfast before everyone arrives.

Several dds are staying tonight and I cooked a lasagne base and part assembled it last night and got up early this morning to make a home made cheese sauce which is cooling in a saucepan. Before we leave the house I will top the lasagne, cover with foil and put it in the fridge.

I can't hear youngest moving about so going to shower now.

Hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 7th Oct 17, 8:38 AM
    • 2,572 Posts
    • 26,542 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Lainey they're not friends, they're just people that you know. If you fancy a night out then go anyway and enjoy it but friends are the people that are there for you throughout your problem times and not anybody who sends a few well intentioned words your way once whatever has happened is over. You also don't know these people well enough to know if they have any problems or if they're hiding something that they aren't coping with very well from the rest of the world. They like you enough to want to include you - hold that thought, don't dwell on the stuff that you won't get an answer to and base your decision on whether or not you fancy a get together with some people whose company is pleasant but that you are not particularly close to.

Gers a delivery of wine? That sounds like my kind of evening

It's wet and gloomy again here. My grass needs cutting but it's rained at least every other day for the last 8 weeks so the garden hasn't dried out enough for me to do it (clay underneath). It's going to come to the point soon where I have to cut it any way. Today is a housework day. The House Troll (aged 12) is going to help me to bring the hoover downstairs as after falling a couple of weeks ago when carrying the washing basket down I'm a bit scared of doing the same again. As my leg has been so bad I haven't done much in the way of cleaning lately so today is the day (my leg isn't much better but I feel better which helps ).
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 7th Oct 17, 8:54 AM
    • 1,866 Posts
    • 18,381 Thanks
    snoozer
    Hollyharvey, we have a Liebherr fridge and freezer and are very happy with them. I broke a shelf (dropped it when I took it out to clean) and their customer service is excellent. In fact, because their factory is only 3 miles away I was able to go and collect it rather than have it delivered.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 7th Oct 17, 9:15 AM
    • 3,510 Posts
    • 40,590 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Morning All

Well done Floss!
    I wouldn't go Lainey, these folk haven't shown you the support they should have. Time to move on.
    Hope OH is on the mend MM.
    Love to your Nan Speky.

It's raining again after a nice couple of days so like you Cranky, the grass will have to remain uncut.

Gave the kitchen a good clean and tidy yesterday, there's a pile of ironing to be done but not really in the mood, maybe later! Must go to the library but no shopping to be done - I haven't cooked all week so still have plenty of supplies.

Hope you all have a good weekend. Take care. XX
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 7th Oct 17, 9:19 AM
    • 12,064 Posts
    • 34,334 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning

Lainey Ditch them and don't go. There is of course an opportunity to go and tell them all how disappointed you have been with their version of friendship. I think if it was me I would send a very cutting round robin email to them all and stay home.
    One thing I have learned very starkly over the last few months is who are my real friends and am not missing in any way the ones that showed true colours.
    HH Blimey you are the queen of high detail research hope you have chosen well
    Floss congratulations on the new job

Love a Saturday with nothing planned. I do need to wash the bedding in the spare and have a general wash and brush up in the house but in between I will be enjoying James Martin.....ahhhhh... and maybe a cookathon later.

Have a lovely weekend all
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 7th Oct 17, 9:33 AM
    • 923 Posts
    • 11,282 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Morning all

I have a day to myself as DH has gone to train club. It's their open day.
    So there is a beef stew in the slow cooker, butternut squash and sweet potato soup in the fridge. I am not doing housework today and will please myself.

Elona have a lovely day out.
    Gers wine is my favourite delivery.

Keep dry everyone and have a good day.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Oct 17, 9:41 AM
    • 15,403 Posts
    • 125,503 Thanks
    JackieO
    Nelski 'enjoying James Martin' eh enjoy away honey

Lainey I too would bin these fair weather friends as they are just not friends but at best acquaintances.Friends are there no matter what in the good and bad times .Save your cash honey as they are certainly not worth bothering about.

T/A I got myself a gardener about three years ago, and he arrives once a fortnight and keeps my garden mowed,weeded and tidy. I am not able to bend and do it as I used to and would rather be doing things I can manage, to me the £12.00 I pay him is worth its weight in gold ,he also does odd jobs for me during the winter like small repairs etc.

Life is for enjoying (see above re Nelski ) and you have more than enough on your plate.

Mick (my gardener ) is a semi retired chap who took early redundancy and got bored sitting indoors as his wife still works and I was his first customer .Since starting up he has carved himself a good niche in the...errm older lady market and I recommended him to most of my friends .

Well DD has heard from her errant DD and she is having a little girl due in March.They have had a few conversations on the phone and have met up a few times .I am waiting yet to see how it goes as Katie is a bit of a drama queen, and can turn very quickly,but I'm pleased she is OK and her and her OH are settled in to their new house.I just don't want DD to get hurt again as when Katie flounced out 4 years ago she caused her Mum nothing but heartache,we shall see.

Soup making is on the agenda this morning plus I want to make some twinks and some shortbread.no shopping to do thank goodness and my mystery meal last night from the freezer turned out to be a piece of pork fillet coated in stuffing Tonight I have got chicken and veg my freezer is slowly going down ,but its a long slow process

Right time for a cuppa and get my apron on Have a good day chums what ever you are doing

Well done on the job Floss

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • carolbee
    • By carolbee 7th Oct 17, 10:14 AM
    • 966 Posts
    • 6,289 Thanks
    carolbee
    Lainey, I agree with others, don't go. Friends are indeed there in bad times as well as good.

Windy and sunny here so washing on the line.

Off to local church for The Big Sing this afternoon. I'm in no way religious but do like a sing!
    Carolbee
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 7th Oct 17, 10:34 AM
    • 1,700 Posts
    • 15,681 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Very lethargic this morning, I had breakfast in bed for the first time for ages........have just managed into the shower and dressed.

Its a bit of a dull day, very grey sky, we have been forecast rain.

Its the harvest supper tonight, OH is going whether he likes it or not, he has been moaning about his headache this morning. I told him to go out into the garden for half an hour. We still have not heard from the hospital about an earlier appointment.

Its my eldest daughters 57th birthday today, my goodness time flies.....its her daughter who is getting married next weekend.

I did sleep ok last night, so a better night, woke just once, turned over and went back to sleep.

No supper to get tonight, need to sort out the meat for tomorrow, I have a shoulder of lamb in the freezer, think we will be having that.
    • redruby
    • By redruby 7th Oct 17, 11:01 AM
    • 6,454 Posts
    • 89,243 Thanks
    redruby
    Morning all

Been up a while but been sitting and discussing plans for the kitchen with OH, he is just off to try and buy a circular saw that he has seen in Aldi and he absolutely 'must have' !

Later on we need to go and look at flooring and I want to pop into M & S food hall to get the dine in for 2, we are going to treat ourselves tonight.

I have a load of washing in the wm, its a bit gloomy here but will try to hang it out for a while, it turned very cold last night so we lit the fire which heated the whole of downstairs with free wood

We need to strip the rest of the wallpaper from dd's room and buy some paint to re paint it. There are also two new blinds to go up in the spare room.

Lainey I went through exactly the same with my 'best friend' when my dear dad was dying, we were so close for years, looked after each others children etc , I was made redundant from the job we both worked at, the same time of losing dad and I heard nothing from her at all for months and months, till I got a message from her asking if I wanted to meet for a drink, I messaged her back saying too little too late and I have not heard a word from her since ! It was just at the time I needed her most as well ! I would not go if I were you they sound like fair weather friends.

Right better get on have good days all xx
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 7th Oct 17, 11:16 AM
    • 1,608 Posts
    • 18,961 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Thanks for all your kind comments and suggestions, part of me wants to meet up and vocalise my feelings but another part can't be bothered with all the drama and thinks it best to just not go. Spend the money on meeting up with my real friends
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 7th Oct 17, 11:47 AM
    • 12,064 Posts
    • 34,334 Thanks
    Nelski

Mick (my gardener ) is a semi retired chap who took early redundancy and got bored sitting indoors as his wife still works and I was his first customer .Since starting up he has carved himself a good niche in the...errm older lady market and I recommended him to most of my friends .

JackieO xx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    I have one of them too cant say he's the best gardener available but in the summer gets very hot and becomes the diet coke man
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,818Posts Today

10,342Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin