Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tony6403
    • By tony6403 7th Oct 17, 12:21 AM
    • 1,202Posts
    • 1,008Thanks
    tony6403
    Vpn
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:21 AM
    Vpn 7th Oct 17 at 12:21 AM
    Avast are offering a " VPN Line" privacy arrangement at £1.99 per month for two years.
    It says that all my banking , purchases etc will be encrypted and safe from hackers.
    Is it worth subscribing ?
    Forgotten but not gone.
Page 1
    • Susie Richards
    • By Susie Richards 7th Oct 17, 7:49 AM
    • 523 Posts
    • 784 Thanks
    Susie Richards
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:49 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:49 AM
    The Opera Brower comes with VPN for Free.

Just switch it on or off as desired.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 7th Oct 17, 9:23 AM
    • 7,045 Posts
    • 3,298 Thanks
    buglawton
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:23 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:23 AM
    Are you asking about portable device VPN, to use public wifi with more security, or home use? Home VPN shouldn't be needed unless you're trying to access geolocked content. And with any VPN, how do you trust all your data now going through a 3rd party VPNs servers?

E.g, recent article says there's a strong possibility that Kaspersky AVG exfiltrated files from US spooks computers to Russia.
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 7th Oct 17, 10:01 AM
    • 674 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    Sicard
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:01 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:01 AM
    The Opera Brower comes with VPN for Free.

Just switch it on or off as desired.
    Originally posted by Susie Richards

It doesn't allow you to log into accounts that require a username and password though. At least not for me.
    Am proud I only have one sourpuss on my ignore list
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 7th Oct 17, 11:11 AM
    • 100 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:11 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:11 AM
    >Is it worth subscribing ?<

All the banks use https so you're data is already encrypted, this offer is just a catch-penny
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 7th Oct 17, 11:17 AM
    • 2,583 Posts
    • 1,444 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:17 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:17 AM
    It doesn't allow you to log into accounts that require a username and password though. At least not for me.
    Originally posted by Sicard
    No problem logging into sites with Opera VPN with User and password.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 7th Oct 17, 7:18 PM
    • 8,841 Posts
    • 4,420 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:18 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:18 PM
    Originally posted by Sicard
    The free Opera VPN works OK but is short on options such as setting the exit point and so your apparent location. I suspect your login issue is because the specific site doesn't want to let your login through as you are apparently located abroad.

TunnelBear is free and lets you choose your location but is limited data (1.5GB if you tweet for an extra GB). That should be plenty for the occasions you use open public WiFi.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

848Posts Today

5,813Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin