Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Husna02
    • By Husna02 6th Oct 17, 10:58 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Husna02
    Private parking fines - I need urgent help please! :(
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:58 PM
    Private parking fines - I need urgent help please! :( 6th Oct 17 at 10:58 PM
    Iím in need of some advice please. I had parked in a private car park and been fined 7 times. The Parking payment was changed from getting tickets from a machine to paying online. I have normally been paying however on some occasions I had forgotten to pay due to getting late to work.

I was told to ignore the fines and letters that come through the post by a few friends and colleagues who said that itís a private car park you donít have to pay your fines.

I had received one letter a while ago saying I need to pay 100 pound or appeal for one ticket. And following friends advice I ignored it. And just yesterday the company have sent sent me 6 letters to my address to pay 100 pound for each ticket or the choice to appeal against them. And one letter following up the first one I ignored with an admin fee of 79 pound totalling 179 pounds. They had also threatened me to take me to court for the first letter that I had ignored and mentioned they will get debt collectors involved.
    I really donít know what to do carry on listening to friends and ignore them completely or just pay the fines off? :;

After speaking to friends again theyíve said to me just ignore them again and donít even appeal. Iím feeling very stressed over this situation and just donít know what to do. Please could you advice me on what to do.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Oct 17, 11:20 PM
    • 33,486 Posts
    • 17,366 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:20 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:20 PM
    Everyone is politely asked to read up on this in the Newbies faq thread near the top of the forum before starting a new thread.

You need to go there now and spend some time familiarising yourself with the way this all pans out from initial issue of tickets through to court hearings.

Once you got it you will at least know what you should have done, where you are now, and what steps (if any) remain open.

Failing that you are now in the wait and see stage.

You do have to wait for 6 years to see if they are going to take legal action against you
    • waamo
    • By waamo 7th Oct 17, 11:09 AM
    • 2,125 Posts
    • 2,547 Thanks
    waamo
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:09 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:09 AM
    Which parking company is it?
    This space for hire.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 7th Oct 17, 11:45 AM
    • 15,886 Posts
    • 24,632 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:45 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:45 AM
    Ask your friends if they will underwrite any liability you might have as a result of following their (mis)guidance? Will they also help with writing any potential court defence?

I think you do exactly this:

carry on listening to friends and ignore them completely
    *them* being your friends!

Then follow the advice in the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #1, dealing with each of your tickets as entirely separate entities.

There seem to be 'friends' everywhere who exhibit their ignorance of this stuff, cropping up on here with alarming regularity, and often at great cost to the victim of their ‘advice’.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 7th Oct 17, 12:35 PM
    • 7,412 Posts
    • 6,459 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:35 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:35 PM
    Quentin is right. Most of the advice you need is on this site, a click of a button away. There is more on pepipoo, Parking Cowboys, Legal Beagles and CAG. After you have read these, come back with anything you have not understood.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

268Posts Today

1,536Users online

Martin's Twitter