Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 6th Oct 17, 10:30 PM
    • 291Posts
    • 388Thanks
    leslieknope
    buyer was the scammer
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:30 PM
    buyer was the scammer 6th Oct 17 at 10:30 PM
    hopefully this is the right place.

my friend's parent recently sold a drone on eBay. it was barely used and working fine but the seller then said that it was faulty and opened a case with eBay. eBay did the usual "send the item back and get a refund" but when the buyer sent back the package, they had filled it with coasters. unfortunately eBay issued the refund as soon as the buyer said it was returned, despite friend's parent saying that it was a fraudulent package. so now the buyer has kept the drone and got a large refund. the package was sent standard mail not even signature required so he's at a loss of what to do. it seems like he's out of a drone and a lot of money but eBay don't care because they've closed the case. is there anything that can be done?
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
Page 2
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 7th Oct 17, 10:57 PM
    • 2,024 Posts
    • 1,178 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    My country doesn't have a queen, so you might like to enlighten me, I think I do quite well with a foreign language. I certainly don't court confusion.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    In English it's possible to say "you" to mean two different things - either the person they're talking to, or no particular person, as I'm sure you know. The queen always says "one" in the second instance, and it's actually quite useful in these sites.
    Perhaps I replied to the wrong post? It really referred to what scd3scd4 said.

What's your native language?
    Last edited by qwert yuiop; 07-10-2017 at 11:02 PM.
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 7th Oct 17, 11:19 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    leslieknope
    ok thanks all i will get him to report it to action fraud asap.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 8th Oct 17, 8:05 AM
    • 11,070 Posts
    • 7,414 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    ok thanks all i will get him to report it to action fraud asap.
    Originally posted by leslieknope
    And read the post again, it's not just about reporting it to AF.
    • Moogles44
    • By Moogles44 8th Oct 17, 9:22 AM
    • 100 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Moogles44
    I will admit that I haven't read every post before I get jumped on, sorry.

How have you got on with it? Have you challenged dispute decision or been able to add photos to the dispute of what actually arrived . I know it's being a bit stalky but I have won doing this , google that person ( I have found a picture of someone on an evening out wearing an " unworn" return of mine, and won case with that) see if they have posted pictures on Instagram or Facebook or wherever of them with their new drone.

I know I get pummelled every time I say it but actually ring PayPal and explain what has happened to them. Every time I ring they are so helpful and have a lot of common sense whereas I feel I'm banging my head against a wall with eBay , especially when my call is sent to the out of uk call centre .

My son got a MacBook back in an eBay transaction that was left with a neighbour who said he knew nothing about it and I'm sure police did get involved by his persistent buyer on that one. It did help that he had the serial number. Do drones have them and have you got it?

Ring PayPal and obviously be polite and nice, they are usually very good . Let us know how you get on.
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 8th Oct 17, 5:18 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    leslieknope
    And read the post again, it's not just about reporting it to AF.
    i have. it's already escalated to ebay with messages sent to the buyer and pictures of the package have been provided. they are not being helpful but hopefully once it's reported to AF, they may take more notice.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 8th Oct 17, 5:37 PM
    • 11,070 Posts
    • 7,414 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    i have. it's already escalated to ebay with messages sent to the buyer and pictures of the package have been provided. they are not being helpful but hopefully once it's reported to AF, they may take more notice.
    You should have reported to AF BEFORE you escalated the appeal to eBay. Hopefully it goes well.
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 10th Oct 17, 2:17 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    leslieknope
    You should have reported to AF BEFORE you escalated the appeal to eBay. Hopefully it goes well.
    i'm not the seller. seller is dad of a close friend who is rather naive when it comes to most technology. but will know for the future.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 10th Oct 17, 4:43 PM
    • 11,070 Posts
    • 7,414 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    i'm not the seller. seller is dad of a close friend who is rather naive when it comes to most technology. but will know for the future.
    Yes, sorry I forgot the OP said it was a friend.

Ask your friend to let eBay know you are awaiting an Action Fraud report number - otherwise they may close the appeal too early and you can't reopen it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

76Posts Today

2,674Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin