Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Robothell
    • By Robothell 6th Oct 17, 10:20 PM
    • 468Posts
    • 308Thanks
    Robothell
    Loft aerial installation
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:20 PM
    Loft aerial installation 6th Oct 17 at 10:20 PM
    Hi folks,

In the process of moving to a new build house and need to get an aerial installed. Hoping to get some recommendations for an aerial installer in South Belfast / Lisburn area first of all. Secondly was hoping to get an idea of cost - the house has been wired for tv and all cabling is sitting neatly bundled in the corner of my floored roof space with electrical sockets right beside it. Iím guessing I would need an amplifier as there are six rooms wired in and figure I may as well hook them all up. Ideally looking a loft installation. All help gratefully received!

Cheers!
    Life in this world is, as it were, a sojourn in a cave. What can we know of reality? For all we can see of the true nature of existence is, shall we say, no more than bewildering and amusing shadows cast upon the inner wall of the cave by the unseen blinding light of absolute truth, from which we may or may not deduce some glimmer of veracity, and we as troglodyte seekers of wisdom can only lift our voices to the unseen and say humbly "Go on, do deformed rabbit again.....it's my favourite". © Terry Pratchett in "Small Gods"

Founder member of the Barry Scott Appreciation Society
Page 1
    • Old Git
    • By Old Git 7th Oct 17, 2:01 AM
    • 4,251 Posts
    • 3,716 Thanks
    Old Git
    • 7th Oct 17, 2:01 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 2:01 AM
    when I had my aerial installed it was put outside on the roof one cable into the loft then the splitter/amplifier .I have five aerial connection done this way.You dont need a power suply for a splitter .
    Last edited by Old Git; 07-10-2017 at 2:10 AM.
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
    • FUNKYDADDIO
    • By FUNKYDADDIO 8th Oct 17, 3:42 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    FUNKYDADDIO
    • 8th Oct 17, 3:42 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 3:42 PM
    I'm in the market for a roof aerial too so will watch with interest, mine would need to be outside and with RTE, thanks in advance..
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 8th Oct 17, 6:15 PM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:15 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:15 PM
    Rte is now on Freeview, just need a TV with an freeview HD tuner
    • FUNKYDADDIO
    • By FUNKYDADDIO 8th Oct 17, 6:58 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    FUNKYDADDIO
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:58 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 6:58 PM
    Thanks, I'd be using quite an old (5 years) TV so prob no HD freeview unfortunately..
    • Old Git
    • By Old Git 8th Oct 17, 8:10 PM
    • 4,251 Posts
    • 3,716 Thanks
    Old Git
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:10 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:10 PM
    Rte is now on Freeview, just need a TV with an freeview HD tuner
    Originally posted by ballyblack
    It depends on the area .My RTE signal comes from the south ,so I need an RTE aerial .The good thing is I get all the southern channels not just RTE .
    • screwedagain
    • By screwedagain 8th Oct 17, 8:55 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    screwedagain
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:55 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 8:55 PM
    If looking for RTE try and get it from a southern transmitter. If picked up on a northern freeview transmitter it will be censored to a degree for certain things e.g. champions league football, episodes of programmes that on RTE are ahead of UK broadcast schedule etc.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 9th Oct 17, 9:01 AM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:01 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 9:01 AM
    The original poster mentioned Lisburn/South Belfast, that will be Divis Freeview for RTE......... don't think Eire Saorvew transmits that far north
    • screwedagain
    • By screwedagain 9th Oct 17, 8:00 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    screwedagain
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:00 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:00 PM
    The original poster mentioned Lisburn/South Belfast, that will be Divis Freeview for RTE......... don't think Eire Saorvew transmits that far north
    Originally posted by ballyblack
    Well yes but it was as much for funkydaddio's benefit as the OP... the point is, don't expect completely unfiltered RTE, even if you go out and get a new full HD TV, unless you currently receive a dedicated Saorview signal.

Filtering out the football has been especially annoying since ITV lost the rights to broadcast champions league
    • FUNKYDADDIO
    • By FUNKYDADDIO 12th Oct 17, 4:29 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    FUNKYDADDIO
    Thanks guys, anyone any idea of cost of fitting an aerial please?
    • bingo bango
    • By bingo bango 13th Oct 17, 1:57 PM
    • 2,464 Posts
    • 1,464 Thanks
    bingo bango
    I put one up in the attic a couple of weeks ago. £18 in Argos and took about 30 mins to fit (one bracket with 2 screws and the main aerial just clamps onto that with two small nuts).

Can't help if it needs to go outside though. Sorry.
    • FUNKYDADDIO
    • By FUNKYDADDIO 17th Oct 17, 4:51 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    FUNKYDADDIO
    Got my RTE aerial fitted today. Can hear RTE HD fine but no picture. Engineer said its because TV is only hd ready. . He said if I get a freeview HD box it should fix it, anyone did this before? Cheers..
    • desm52
    • By desm52 17th Oct 17, 5:25 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    desm52
    A freeview hd tv should work. To guarantee that it will work check if the tv is saorview approved here: https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/products. Saorview is the Irish freeview equivalent.

Most tvs from Samsung/LG and the other large manufacturers will be Saorview approved. I would also recommend getting a tv where you can reorder the channels, otherwise the Irish channels will probably be placed in the 800s in your tv guide .
    • FUNKYDADDIO
    • By FUNKYDADDIO 17th Oct 17, 5:40 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    FUNKYDADDIO
    Thanks, don't really want to buy a new TV. Do you think a full HD set top freeview box would work? Thanks
    • Old Git
    • By Old Git 17th Oct 17, 6:13 PM
    • 4,251 Posts
    • 3,716 Thanks
    Old Git
    you need a saorview box .Not the UK freeview box .Not expensive
    • almillar
    • By almillar 18th Oct 17, 2:14 PM
    • 7,114 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    almillar
    Can hear RTE HD fine but no picture. Engineer said its because TV is only hd ready.
    Specifically, it's because your TV has a Freeview SD tuner, not a Freeview HD one.

If you get a Freeview HD box (maybe a PVR if you need one?) that will get you picture and sound. RTE transmits its SD and HD content with newer technology than the DVD level tech that our Freeview SD tuners have.

I disagree with OldGit in this specific circumstance - you say you've got an RTE aerial, so I believe that any Freeview HD box plugged into this will work. Check the Argos website, as they list TVs, at least, as being Saorview compatible, so it might be the same for boxes.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 18th Oct 17, 5:24 PM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    ballyblack
    Do you think a full HD set top freeview box would work? Thanks
    yes it will

Got my RTE aerial fitted today
    no such thing as a 'RTe aerial' , its an aerial picking up freeview so need a HD tuner to get RTE on freeview

Last edited by ballyblack; 18-10-2017 at 5:29 PM.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 19th Oct 17, 1:00 PM
    • 7,114 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    almillar
    Sorry ballyblack, I need to disagree, but it's only because you have to be very precise describing these things in NI.
    I would say, in NI, there IS such a thing as an RTE aerial. It would be one that points to a transmitter 'down south' and I think that they are vertically aligned, whereas NI transmitters need horizontally aligned aerials.
    This goes back years, beyond HD, and beyond digital even, and remains the same.
    Digital and HD have come along, and the same aerials have been needed. The big change that happened in NI, part of the Good Friday Agreement, is that RTE was to be available to all in NI. So it's now transmitted from NI transmitters, and if you have an HD tuner, you can get them.
    The only problem is that due to licensing arrangements, some of the big stuff like sport is sometimes blocked on the NI transmitters. If you're tuned into a southern transmitter with your 'RTE aerial' this problem doesn't exist.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 19th Oct 17, 1:23 PM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    ballyblack
    to quote
    Engineer said its because TV is only hd ready. . He said if I get a freeview HD box it should fix it,
    looks like poster has a aerial pointing towards freeview reception so NOT one pointing for Rte reception.

I was trying to simplify this for the poster

anyways I take your point

PS> It would have been helpful if poster FUNKYDADDIO had stated their general location

Last edited by ballyblack; 19-10-2017 at 1:33 PM.
    • FUNKYDADDIO
    • By FUNKYDADDIO 19th Oct 17, 4:07 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    FUNKYDADDIO
    Thanks folks, I'm in belfast south. I've tried a newer and smaller TV I have and it works fine for RTE HD. Going to borrow an HD freeview box from a relative to try before I buy one, thanks again..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,690Posts Today

7,031Users online

Martin's Twitter