Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 6th Oct 17, 10:12 PM
    • 3,935Posts
    • 4,022Thanks
    sillygoose
    0 WOW
    Looking ahead.. Ryanair next summer
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:12 PM
    0 WOW
    Looking ahead.. Ryanair next summer 6th Oct 17 at 10:12 PM
    I have never had much hankering to fly Ryanair but I am seeing some pretty good fares next summer for places I want to go.

But their recent screw ups make me nervous, what if it goes wrong next summer and they end up with not enough pilots for the flights they sold and start cancelling? - your left with accommodation going to waste and no way to get there!

Now I know this could be the case with any airline, one year Monarch cancelled a route several months after I thought I was safely booked to travel on it.

But obviously Ryanair have a pretty ropey track record now, but it would be suicidal for them to mess up a summer season as well.

For me its weighing up the perceived 'risk' versus paying about 20% more for a more regular service like Thomas Cook.

I am not so worried about financial loss, that's would be protected by the credit card, more the risk of being let down and sat at home watching the rain run down the window!

Anyone have any thoughts?
Page 2
    • Tom The Great Sebastian
    • By Tom The Great Sebastian 9th Oct 17, 12:06 PM
    • 854 Posts
    • 948 Thanks
    Tom The Great Sebastian
    I have never had much hankering to fly Ryanair but I am seeing some pretty good fares next summer for places I want to go.

But their recent screw ups make me nervous, what if it goes wrong next summer and they end up with not enough pilots for the flights they sold and start cancelling? - your left with accommodation going to waste and no way to get there!

Now I know this could be the case with any airline, one year Monarch cancelled a route several months after I thought I was safely booked to travel on it.

But obviously Ryanair have a pretty ropey track record now, but it would be suicidal for them to mess up a summer season as well.

For me its weighing up the perceived 'risk' versus paying about 20% more for a more regular service like Thomas Cook.

I am not so worried about financial loss, that's would be protected by the credit card, more the risk of being let down and sat at home watching the rain run down the window!

Anyone have any thoughts?
    Originally posted by sillygoose

Really ?
    They've cancelled a tiny percentage of their flights which won't affect the remaining 131 MILLION other passengers who'll fly with them this year.
    And next year they're offering flights at prices you're very interested in ?
    You can do one of two things - ignore the Ryanair begrudgers who are often people caught out because they're too stupid to follow simple instructions and terms and conditions on the Ryanair website or book the flights.
    But less of this cobblers about Ryanair having a ropey reputation.
    They have an excellent reputation as a cheap,on-time airline flying you to destinations throughout Europe.
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 9th Oct 17, 12:30 PM
    • 3,935 Posts
    • 4,022 Thanks
    sillygoose
    I am leaning towards them a bit more, when I first ran the prices it wasn't bad but I dismissed the family package thingy as they are usually full of stuff you don't need.

Checking again, the Ryanair pack actually has exactly what I need cheap, reserved seats, priority boarding and a couple of checked bags. So with that the price looks even better than when I added things separately.

Does 'priority boarding' work on Ryanair?

Whenever I have seen a gate waiting for one of their flights people start queuing really early and its usually very long. I always assumed it was people too cheap to pay for reserved seating so were trying to get on first to grab seats together or wanted to grab cabin lockers and avoid the delay the other end from having their bags compulsorily checked when the space ran out.

Never really noticed what goes on, I presume they put out a call for priority seats first and let them on otherwise the unreserved people wouldn't know which were free.

Either way, it won't be Easyjet again.. delayed over 3 hours and wandering around a sleeping Greek town at 2am trying to find some drinking water in 28C heat, not fun.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 9th Oct 17, 12:42 PM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 977 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    I am leaning towards them a bit more, when I first ran the prices it wasn't bad but I dismissed the family package thingy as they are usually full of stuff you don't need.

Checking again, the Ryanair pack actually has exactly what I need cheap, reserved seats, priority boarding and a couple of checked bags. So with that the price looks even better than when I added things separately.

Does 'priority boarding' work on Ryanair?

Whenever I have seen a gate waiting for one of their flights people start queuing really early and its usually very long. I always assumed it was people too cheap to pay for reserved seating so were trying to get on first to grab seats together or wanted to grab cabin lockers and avoid the delay the other end from having their bags compulsorily checked when the space ran out.

Never really noticed what goes on, I presume they put out a call for priority seats first and let them on otherwise the unreserved people wouldn't know which were free.

Either way, it won't be Easyjet again.. delayed over 3 hours and wandering around a sleeping Greek town at 2am trying to find some drinking water in 28C heat, not fun.

There are no unreserved people on Ryanair. Everyone that doesn't prebook seats is allocated one by their system when they check in online.

They operate 2 queues at the boarding gate. A priority queue and a non priority queue. Priority boards first.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 9th Oct 17, 12:51 PM
    • 18,201 Posts
    • 7,495 Thanks
    richardw
    ...They've cancelled a tiny percentage of their flights....
    Originally posted by Tom The Great Sebastian
    There's nothing tiny about the number of flights cancelled and the number of passengers inconvenienced which is enormous. One flight cancelled is 189 passengers, which is 189 too many and absolutely unacceptable.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 9th Oct 17, 1:00 PM
    • 3,935 Posts
    • 4,022 Thanks
    sillygoose
    There are no unreserved people on Ryanair. Everyone that doesn't prebook seats is allocated one by their system when they check in online.

They operate 2 queues at the boarding gate. A priority queue and a non priority queue. Priority boards first.
    Originally posted by leylandsunaddict
    Thanks. If everyone has a seat, why do they start queue so early? is it just to avoid the baggage reclaim the other end? or to get the armrest first!
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 9th Oct 17, 1:32 PM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 977 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Thanks. If everyone has a seat, why do they start queue so early? is it just to avoid the baggage reclaim the other end? or to get the armrest first!
    I've never noticed people queuing particularly early, but once the gate is announced people will queue when they get there, like with any airline. Ryanair only have short turnaround times, around 30/35 mins, and the gate closes 20 mins prior so you need to be queuing straight away anyway. Some non priority boarders will want to be at the beginning of the queue in the hope they'll be able to keep their hand luggage with them. It's not always about waiting for bags because lots of people check bags anyway, often about not parting with things they can't afford to lose. It's advisable to always have a second smaller bag that you can put valuables in should your bag be gate checked. That applies with every airline.
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 9th Oct 17, 1:37 PM
    • 3,935 Posts
    • 4,022 Thanks
    sillygoose
    I've never noticed people queuing particularly early, but once the gate is announced people will queue when they get there, like with any airline. Ryanair only have short turnaround times, around 30/35 mins, and the gate closes 20 mins prior so you need to be queuing straight away anyway. Some non priority boarders will want to be at the beginning of the queue in the hope they'll be able to keep their hand luggage with them. It's not always about waiting for bags because lots of people check bags anyway, often about not parting with things they can't afford to lose. It's advisable to always have a second smaller bag that you can put valuables in should your bag be gate checked. That applies with every airline.
    Thank you this is really useful advice! as I have never used them. One more please, do priority boarders pretty much always get their cases onboard or are they in the majority these days so it makes little difference to your chances?
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 9th Oct 17, 1:44 PM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 977 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Thank you this is really useful advice! as I have never used them. One more please, do priority boarders pretty much always get their cases onboard or are they in the majority these days so it makes little difference to your chances?
    Priority boarders are guaranteed to keep their hand luggage. The number of priority boarders is limited.
    • By Tom The Great Sebastian 9th Oct 17, 5:39 PM
    • 854 Posts
    • 948 Thanks
    Tom The Great Sebastian
    There's nothing tiny about the number of flights cancelled and the number of passengers inconvenienced which is enormous. One flight cancelled is 189 passengers, which is 189 too many and absolutely unacceptable.
    Originally posted by richardw
    The sums.
    Ryanair has cancelled 2,000 flights.
    Ryanair makes 500,000 flights a year.
    It's tiny.
    Of course you may choose not to fly with them if you're dissatisfied but all the evidence - and Ryanair's share price - show others aren't.
    Ryanair actually carried 10% more passengers in September.
    Ker-ching.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 9th Oct 17, 11:05 PM
    • 18,201 Posts
    • 7,495 Thanks
    richardw
    ....Ryanair has cancelled 2,000 flights....
    That's a maximum of 378,000 passengers affected, much bigger than I thought, and all because of poor pilot rostering and management, not 'extraordinary' circumstances. Some of those passengers will have missed very important things that can't have been rescheduled and all because Ryanair think they can do what they like and ignore regulations and the CAA.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • BarryBlue
    • By BarryBlue 10th Oct 17, 12:28 AM
    • 3,096 Posts
    • 10,027 Thanks
    BarryBlue
    We flew Ryanair last Saturday back into the UK from Spain. The flight was almost full, and lots of people were discussing the current situation as many were regular flyers who had homes in both countries. Several people were saying that they were baling out of Ryanair because they appear now that they cannot be trusted to provide the flights. I think their passenger numbers may fall next year until people trust them again.

Our flights were certainly cheap, having been booked in June, and what you get is very basic. We can manage 10 days on a 10kg bag and a small under-seat bag (no weight limit) each. We don't worry if we aren't allocated seats together, although the seat allocation policy seems deliberately designed to alienate passengers. But, to be fair, our flights were on time both ways.

Priority boarders are guaranteed to keep their hand luggage. The number of priority boarders is limited.
    I do wonder about that. For our flight on Saturday we were at the front of the non-priority queue, and my wife counted the priority boarders as they went past. There were 62 of them! So what is the limit? I have always suspected it is strictly limited to the number they can sell.
    We're gonna be alright, dancin' on a Saturday night
    • stephb34
    • By stephb34 10th Oct 17, 7:42 AM
    • 1,942 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    stephb34
    We flew Ryanair last Saturday back into the UK from Spain. The flight was almost full, and lots of people were discussing the current situation as many were regular flyers who had homes in both countries. Several people were saying that they were baling out of Ryanair because they appear now that they cannot be trusted to provide the flights. I think their passenger numbers may fall next year until people trust them again.

Our flights were certainly cheap, having been booked in June, and what you get is very basic. We can manage 10 days on a 10kg bag and a small under-seat bag (no weight limit) each. We don't worry if we aren't allocated seats together, although the seat allocation policy seems deliberately designed to alienate passengers. But, to be fair, our flights were on time both ways.

I do wonder about that. For our flight on Saturday we were at the front of the non-priority queue, and my wife counted the priority boarders as they went past. There were 62 of them! So what is the limit? I have always suspected it is strictly limited to the number they can sell.
    Originally posted by BarryBlue

I think the first 90 people are allowed to take their 10kg of hand luggage on with them whether they have paid or not after that its all in the hold.
    We flew with Monarch out in the summer and on checking in they asked did we want to put our 10kg case in to the hold which we did. On the way home with Ryanair they didn't ask at check in and we would have given them in so other people could keep theirs.
    • By Tom The Great Sebastian 10th Oct 17, 4:30 PM
    • 854 Posts
    • 948 Thanks
    Tom The Great Sebastian

Originally posted by BarryBlue
    So your flight was cheap,on-time and without any fears of your airline going bust.
    Along with 2,000 other Ryanair flights on the same day as yours.
    Rather than falling passenger numbers they were up by 10% in September,the month when all these shenanigans were happening.
    That's why this small brouhaha over pilots' hours is a storm in a teacup.
    I took advantage of the snap sale MOL organised as damage limitation and booked four Ryanair flights for a pittance.
    Ker-ching.
    Last edited by Tom The Great Sebastian; 10-10-2017 at 4:33 PM.
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 10th Oct 17, 5:34 PM
    • 5,644 Posts
    • 3,612 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    You just need to see Easyjet have hiked the prices from London to Scotland. We need Ryanair if only to keep prices low
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 10th Oct 17, 8:04 PM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 1,379 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    It's the first time I've flown with Ryanair myself, and whilst it takes some getting used to, it is what it is.

Everyone is allocated a seat, however, that doesn't stop someone sitting in your seat.

A bus service in the sky isn't far off. Basic service, basic seating, fumes from aviation fuel in the cabin, (depending on where you sit). I dread to think what it will be like with new slimline seats. They told us they weren't putting luggage into the hold, although the plane was full, (thought it would be).

On the plus side, you get what you pay for. A flight for thousands of miles for the cost of a bus or a coach ticket. Our bus was on time, ( in fact the flight arrived early at our destination) and there's no reason to assume there will be any problem with our flight home.

If your flight is an important part of enjoyment of a holiday, then book with someone else. If you are more tolerant and look at things objectively, then go ahead and book a flight with Ryanair and don't prepay for accomodation before you go, if it worries you so much. I can't see Ryanair cancelling lots of flights in school holidays. That would be insanity.

You simply can't fault it for being the cheapest way of getting from A to B. I'm told it's a great improvement from how it used to be when people weren't allocated seats. It's only a relatively short time of, err, 'tolerance'.

Would i fly with them again, well, I have to. But yes, of course i would.

It's still great value for money.

Ttfn from colder climes.......
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
    • By Tom The Great Sebastian 11th Oct 17, 5:37 AM
    • 854 Posts
    • 948 Thanks
    Tom The Great Sebastian
    It's the first time I've flown with Ryanair myself, and whilst it takes some getting used to, it is what it is.

Everyone is allocated a seat, however, that doesn't stop someone sitting in your seat.

A bus service in the sky isn't far off. Basic service, basic seating, fumes from aviation fuel in the cabin, (depending on where you sit). I dread to think what it will be like with new slimline seats. They told us they weren't putting luggage into the hold, although the plane was full, (thought it would be).

On the plus side, you get what you pay for. A flight for thousands of miles for the cost of a bus or a coach ticket. Our bus was on time, ( in fact the flight arrived early at our destination) and there's no reason to assume there will be any problem with our flight home.

If your flight is an important part of enjoyment of a holiday, then book with someone else. If you are more tolerant and look at things objectively, then go ahead and book a flight with Ryanair and don't prepay for accomodation before you go, if it worries you so much. I can't see Ryanair cancelling lots of flights in school holidays. That would be insanity.

You simply can't fault it for being the cheapest way of getting from A to B. I'm told it's a great improvement from how it used to be when people weren't allocated seats. It's only a relatively short time of, err, 'tolerance'.

Would i fly with them again, well, I have to. But yes, of course i would.

It's still great value for money.

Ttfn from colder climes.......
    Originally posted by fredandwilma

Fumes from aviation fuel in the cabin a fault of Ryanair ?
    I've heard everything now.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 11th Oct 17, 8:37 AM
    • 10,323 Posts
    • 6,620 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Fumes from aviation fuel in the cabin a fault of Ryanair ?
    I've heard everything now.
    OLeary would go mad with that sort of wastage.
    • zaksmum
    • By zaksmum 12th Oct 17, 1:31 PM
    • 5,407 Posts
    • 7,306 Thanks
    zaksmum
    Ryanair have removed all Liverpool and Manchester flights to Alicante from their website listings after March 2018 - don't know why
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 12th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 977 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Ryanair have removed all Liverpool and Manchester flights to Alicante from their website listings after March 2018 - don't know why
    Originally posted by zaksmum
    Website glitch I would think. They're not the only routes that currently aren't showing.
    • By Tom The Great Sebastian 12th Oct 17, 2:02 PM
    • 854 Posts
    • 948 Thanks
    Tom The Great Sebastian
    Just booked two Ryanair flights to go for lunch with some chums in another country and back again on the same day.
    €34 return.
    I'll pay more than that for the first bottle of wine.
    THAT is why Ryanair are the fifth most successful airline on the planet.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

168Posts Today

1,470Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin