Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsCopsy
    • By MrsCopsy 6th Oct 17, 8:05 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MrsCopsy
    Employed or Self Employed? Help please!
    • 6th Oct 17, 8:05 PM
    Employed or Self Employed? Help please! 6th Oct 17 at 8:05 PM
    Hi there,

Wonder if anyone can help with this please.

My husband is a steel fixer. He is self employed and completes his tax self assessment every year. Although my husband is self employed he is actually employed by the same company all year round who sends him on jobs to provide steelfixing for various companies. This may sound like he is a sub-contractor only there is no contract in place and his employer pays his tax from his wages using PAYE.

Presently we have needed to apply for a mortgage (in principle) . Most places consider his self employed which lowers the amount as can borrow. However, on speaking to the Halifax they have informed us that actually because his boss pays him via PAYE my husband is considered as employed and therefore we can borrow lots more. Are Halifax right (? I hope so) and if so are there more lenders that would consider him employed?

It's a bit complicated. Any help greatly received.
Page 1
    • PKaurK
    • By PKaurK 7th Oct 17, 6:37 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    PKaurK
    • 7th Oct 17, 6:37 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 6:37 AM
    It sounds like he is registered with the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS). Is that right?
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 7th Oct 17, 9:21 AM
    • 32,379 Posts
    • 17,387 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:21 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:21 AM
    I agree.

This is a CIS sub-contractor case.

Explore options with a broker.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • MrsCopsy
    • By MrsCopsy 7th Oct 17, 10:35 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MrsCopsy
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:35 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:35 PM
    Yes but there's no contract between Gina md his employer so he doesn't come under a sub contracter
    • MrsCopsy
    • By MrsCopsy 7th Oct 17, 10:36 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MrsCopsy
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:36 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:36 PM
    Sorry slip of the thumb - between him and his employer (not Gina ��)
    • MrsCopsy
    • By MrsCopsy 7th Oct 17, 10:39 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MrsCopsy
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:39 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:39 PM
    Actually no don't think he's registered with CIS I'll have to check
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,982Posts Today

7,361Users online

Martin's Twitter