Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fortyfoot
    • By Fortyfoot 6th Oct 17, 7:51 PM
    • 1,738Posts
    • 892Thanks
    Fortyfoot
    Broadband keeps dropping, could it be plastic bag on line?
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:51 PM
    Broadband keeps dropping, could it be plastic bag on line? 6th Oct 17 at 7:51 PM
    I have complained to EE and an engineer has called but failed to identify a fault. I had a look outside today and saw a plastic bag on the phone line, could this be the cause?

If so who's responsibility is it to remove it? What is their contact number please?

Thanks,

Fortyfoot
Page 1
    • trigger fish
    • By trigger fish 6th Oct 17, 8:20 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    trigger fish
    • 6th Oct 17, 8:20 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 8:20 PM
    I would have thought that it was the responsibility of Bt Openreach to remove it if they thought it could cause any problem which I doubt.

My Talk Talk drops out now and again. Even the phone itself but not for quite a while.
    • Nilrem
    • By Nilrem 7th Oct 17, 3:36 AM
    • 2,319 Posts
    • 1,515 Thanks
    Nilrem
    • 7th Oct 17, 3:36 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 3:36 AM
    As said if it's to do with the line it'll be openreach (as it's outside the property), but a plastic bag is extremely unlikely to be an issue, as it's non conductive and the wires are insulated anyway.

The only reason it might cause an issue as far as I can see is if the wires have bad/damaged insulation and the bag is trapping water causing a possible short, but that's unlikely (and you'd probably have issues even without the bag).

Depending on the actual fault (is it dropping due to SNR being out of spec?) it could be you've got a damaged conductor that's being affected by heat, movement of the cables overhead, or water ingress.

We have a sudden issue with our phone a while back that was traced (fairly quickly) to water getting into a junction box outside which had led to corrosion and intermittent shorts when it was wet/humid.
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 7th Oct 17, 8:20 AM
    • 1,347 Posts
    • 474 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 7th Oct 17, 8:20 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 8:20 AM
    You cannot call Openreach directly, you go via your ISP , in itself, as others have said, a plastic bag, blown by the wind into the wires and trapped isn't likely to be causing a problem, if a wire was snapped and hanging into the road , you could report it as dangerous directly to OR but not litter tangled up in the wiring.
    You can call EE again, but if you insist they call OR out (on a line that is testing OK) and OR find no fault on the external network, you probably would be charged for the visit ( OR charge EE for wasting their time, EE probably pass the charge onto you, ) they even warn you when reporting a fault of this possibility.
    Provide more details of the problem, and what steps you have taken so far yourself to eliminate your own kit, and wiring etc as the cause
    Last edited by iniltous; 07-10-2017 at 8:26 AM.
    • Fortyfoot
    • By Fortyfoot 7th Oct 17, 5:38 PM
    • 1,738 Posts
    • 892 Thanks
    Fortyfoot
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:38 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:38 PM
    As the problem was not resolved when EE engineer came they have arranged for BT I think, to call and carry out tests. They have arranged to come when I get back from holiday.

It has not dropped this afternoon, it was down most of the morning when it was raining.

Fortyfoot
    • Nilrem
    • By Nilrem 8th Oct 17, 2:04 AM
    • 2,319 Posts
    • 1,515 Thanks
    Nilrem
    • 8th Oct 17, 2:04 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 2:04 AM
    As the problem was not resolved when EE engineer came they have arranged for BT I think, to call and carry out tests. They have arranged to come when I get back from holiday.

It has not dropped this afternoon, it was down most of the morning when it was raining.

Fortyfoot
    Originally posted by Fortyfoot
    That sounds very much like it's water ingress into a joint in the line somewhere, probably somewhere it's draining out of fairly quickly afterwards.
    • Fortyfoot
    • By Fortyfoot 19th Oct 17, 8:19 PM
    • 1,738 Posts
    • 892 Thanks
    Fortyfoot
    • 19th Oct 17, 8:19 PM
    • 19th Oct 17, 8:19 PM
    Update.

We got back from holiday yesterday lunch time and the internet has been fine since. The BT engineers was booked for this pm. I waited in all day and eventually rang EE at 7.30 and was told that the call out had been cancelled.

I was about 1/2 hour on the phone with EE, he kept going off line to do some tests. He has arranged for a BT engineer to call some time after 8am tomorrow.

Update

Engineer called, from Open Reach, a really nice chap, it's not the plastic bag!

He replaced the old socket which if I remember right he said had "star wiring" which allowed the broadband signal to split and bounce back from two other extensions, this confusing the modem. He has put a new socket on which has blanked off the broadband from the other extensions so the broadband only goes to the modem.

I hope that I have explained this clearly.

Fortyfoot
    Last edited by Fortyfoot; Today at 9:17 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,358Posts Today

7,091Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin