Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • brianqq
    • By brianqq 6th Oct 17, 7:16 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    brianqq
    Why don't landlords like DSS?
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:16 PM
    Why don't landlords like DSS? 6th Oct 17 at 7:16 PM
    I do not use housing benefits and just ask this question out of curiosity.

When I look for a place to rent, I see in most ads "NO DSS". I wonder why are landlords reluctant? Isn't the rent guaranteed by the governmental scheme?

I understand that it is better to have a professional tenant rather than an unemployed one, but it should be better in terms of a guaranteed rent, as the government pays it. Or I have misunderstood the whole concept.
Page 1
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 6th Oct 17, 7:18 PM
    • 1,850 Posts
    • 2,479 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:18 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:18 PM
    It can be a condition imposed by their insurance.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 6th Oct 17, 7:21 PM
    • 2,871 Posts
    • 3,927 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:21 PM
    Tenants only get up to a certain amount in housing benefit so a house where the rent is much higher has to have the difference made up by the tenant. You can guess how many tenants actually manage to do this without getting into serious rent arrears.
    • pinklady21
    • By pinklady21 6th Oct 17, 7:21 PM
    • 241 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    pinklady21
    Housing Benefit is not guaranteed to meet the full rent leaving a shortfall that a tenant on a low income may not be able to pay.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 6th Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    • 8,978 Posts
    • 11,858 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    It is easy to get insurance cover, perhaps a little more expensive.

DSS was dissolved in 2001. Think you mean HB/LHA tenants. Problem is Mother Theresa keeps cutting back benefits, making it harder to claim, imposing caps.
    • Car1980
    • By Car1980 6th Oct 17, 7:23 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    Car1980
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:23 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:23 PM
    DSS is in common parlance though, like MOT
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 6th Oct 17, 7:24 PM
    • 1,677 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:24 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:24 PM
    It's because a minority of DSS recipients have spoilt it for the majority by acting irresponsibly.

It used to be that housing benefit was paid directly to the landlord. Now, in the interests of treating all people like responsible adults, the benefit is paid to the claimant - who is expected to do the right thing and pass the money to their landlord.

Unfortunately, a minority of DSS claimants just keep the money for themselves.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 6th Oct 17, 7:58 PM
    • 3,886 Posts
    • 2,411 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:58 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:58 PM
    Can't Pay we take it away
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 6th Oct 17, 8:02 PM
    • 890 Posts
    • 939 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    • 6th Oct 17, 8:02 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 8:02 PM
    Silvertabby has hit the nail on the head. I have had several BTLs (all sold now) and generally the letting agents have also recommended I don't touch DSS and they would be the ones with experience in dealing with the fallout.
    Compensations/Refunds from Banks & Institutions - £4,165 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £3,963

All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • Dorian1958
    • By Dorian1958 6th Oct 17, 8:17 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    Dorian1958
    Depends on which market the landlord is operating in. Some LL's are happy to aim their properties at HB claimants, perhaps in the expectation that their tenants are likely to accept a lower quality standard of accommodation or be so desperate they are unlikely to complain about problems. Not all are like that of course. Other LL will be operating in a market where the rental prices of their properties are clearly above the means of someone who is claiming HB, and to save everyone time they specify "no DSS". At the end of the day the LL is operating a business and assessing the tenant on ability to pay the market rent for the property they are letting.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 6th Oct 17, 9:11 PM
    • 2,710 Posts
    • 2,696 Thanks
    cjdavies
    They are snobs.

• sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 6th Oct 17, 9:12 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    sevenhills
    I know a LL who was happy to take on HB tenant because he would be able to claim for a free boiler costing £1,200+, it works for some LLs.

• 19lottie82
    • By 19lottie82 6th Oct 17, 9:47 PM
    • 5,724 Posts
    • 8,662 Thanks
    19lottie82
    Also if you need to regain possession of the property, the chances are the tenants will struggle to find another LL who will accept HB, and the council will advise them that they can't house them until they are physically evicted which means months of waiting for court dates and bailiff fees = huge cost and hassle.
    • 19lottie82
    • By 19lottie82 6th Oct 17, 9:50 PM
    • 5,724 Posts
    • 8,662 Thanks
    19lottie82
    They are snobs.

Originally posted by cjdavies
    Of course! Nothing to do with insurance exclusions, trouble evicting, and benefit payments being stopped?

What a stupid comment.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 6th Oct 17, 10:50 PM
    • 7,094 Posts
    • 5,487 Thanks
    daveyjp
    It's because a minority of DSS recipients have spoilt it for the majority by acting irresponsibly.

It used to be that housing benefit was paid directly to the landlord. Now, in the interests of treating all people like responsible adults, the benefit is paid to the claimant - who is expected to do the right thing and pass the money to their landlord.

Unfortunately, a minority of DSS claimants just keep the money for themselves.
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    Its merely a ‘back to the future’ situation. I claimed HB decades ago as, it was paid to me as the tenant.

It was changed and then some landlords claimed for tenants who didn’t exist.
    • newbie1980
    • By newbie1980 6th Oct 17, 10:56 PM
    • 1,811 Posts
    • 22,421 Thanks
    newbie1980
    im a landlord and i dont mind dss tennants but there is stipulations on my mortgage that i cant have dss tennants if i want a better rate mortgage

i find it strange this has never been communicated by anyone

just look at godiva btl morgages and its in there t and cs
    • bob bank spanker
    • By bob bank spanker 6th Oct 17, 11:29 PM
    • 523 Posts
    • 1,003 Thanks
    bob bank spanker
    im a landlord and i dont mind dss tennants but there is stipulations on my mortgage that i cant have dss tennants if i want a better rate mortgage

i find it strange this has never been communicated by anyone

just look at godiva btl morgages and its in there t and cs
    Originally posted by newbie1980
    Dss which does not exist is an actual term in mortgages in 2017?!
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 6th Oct 17, 11:43 PM
    • 5,690 Posts
    • 7,152 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    Because they are experienced landlords.
    End of question.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 7th Oct 17, 12:17 AM
    • 24,103 Posts
    • 11,380 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    One of the reasons I believe that LL don't want DSS tenants is because some don't have any incentive to look after the property.
    If you pay for a property from your own money you will tend to try and look after it.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • dimbo61
    • By dimbo61 7th Oct 17, 12:32 AM
    • 9,500 Posts
    • 5,150 Thanks
    dimbo61
    Housing benefit and now universal credit are paid in arrears.
    So a LL has to wait sometimes months before they get any rent.
    No way to run a business or pay you btl mortgage. Insurance, etc
    Limits on what the council are willing to pay in rent for a property.
    High risk of damage to property and No point taking ex tenant to court if they have no money to pay arrears or for any damage
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

644Posts Today

6,130Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin