Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stg123
    • By stg123 6th Oct 17, 7:10 PM
    • 62Posts
    • 7Thanks
    stg123
    Is a home-swap agreement a tenancy?
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:10 PM
    Is a home-swap agreement a tenancy? 6th Oct 17 at 7:10 PM
    Hi all,

I am thinking of doing a home swap holiday. I'm finding it really hard to find out what the legal situation is. I've found various template swap agreements on the internet, but they really don't look like binding agreements.

My main concern is what happens in the worst case - say the other party end up refusing to leave. I'm assuming that there is no tenancy agreement, so they'd be treated as a squatter, rather than as a tenant? Seems to make a big difference in terms of how quickly you can get them out of the property. I'm sure this is super-rare, I'm just surprised that the home swap sites are all so vague about what sort of agreement a home swap actually is.
Page 1
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 6th Oct 17, 7:41 PM
    • 6,384 Posts
    • 5,158 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:41 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:41 PM
    Its not a tenancy. https://www.homelink.org.uk/Contact_Us.html
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 6th Oct 17, 8:04 PM
    • 42,231 Posts
    • 49,041 Thanks
    G_M
    • 6th Oct 17, 8:04 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 8:04 PM
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    I too doubt it's a tenancy, but that link provides little detail on the legal arrangements.

Insurance is bound to be an issue, as would be claiming liability off the 'home-swapper' for damage (imagine they advertise a rave at your property.....).

I think eviction if they refused to vacate would be relatively easy, though would be very stressful especially if you were homeless for a while.

I'm sure The Holiday (2006) - IMDb makes it look really easy, but.....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,982Posts Today

7,788Users online

Martin's Twitter