Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stg123
    • By stg123 6th Oct 17, 7:08 PM
    • 62Posts
    • 7Thanks
    stg123
    0 WOW
    home swap holiday
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:08 PM
    0 WOW
    home swap holiday 6th Oct 17 at 7:08 PM
    Hi all,

I am thinking of doing a home swap holiday. I'm finding it really hard to find out what the legal situation is. I've found various template swap agreements on the internet, but they really don't look like binding agreements.

My main concern is what happens in the worst case - say the other party end up refusing to leave. I'm assuming that there is no tenancy agreement, so they'd be treated as a squatter, rather than as a tenant? Seems to make a big difference in terms of how quickly you can get them out of the property. I'm sure this is super-rare, I'm just surprised that the home swap sites are all so vague about what sort of agreement a home swap actually is.
Page 1
    • missile
    • By missile 20th Oct 17, 7:45 AM
    • 8,952 Posts
    • 4,337 Thanks
    missile
    • 20th Oct 17, 7:45 AM
    • 20th Oct 17, 7:45 AM
    I toyed with the idea. It seems most people have a good experience. Like you, I considered there are risks, e.g. what happens if they trash your home?

Accidents can happen and I doubt home swap agreement covers things like this http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5702655
    Last edited by missile; 20-10-2017 at 7:50 AM.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • ManofLeisure
    • By ManofLeisure 20th Oct 17, 12:28 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    ManofLeisure
    • 20th Oct 17, 12:28 PM
    • 20th Oct 17, 12:28 PM
    I think a spirit of trust is an essential part of the home swap community, and if you are very worried about people being in your house or what might happen, it is probably not for you. Some sites offer the option of security deposits; we have never used them. On the two occasions we have embarked upon home swaps we ensured that we had regular contact with the 'home swap family' and this in turn was invaluable for many reasons.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

12Posts Today

4,285Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin