Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ip2000
    • By ip2000 6th Oct 17, 7:03 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 5Thanks
    ip2000
    0 WOW
    Advice needed please re cancellation charges
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:03 PM
    0 WOW
    Advice needed please re cancellation charges 6th Oct 17 at 7:03 PM
    My 17 year old DD wants to go away with friends next year.
    Friend (in her wisdom) has booked the holiday today with Loveholidays as she thought it was a good deal. She's made a mistake and booked the wrong airport. They have all paid a deposit of £29 with monthly instalments until June. Although they called Loveholidays within the hour of booking to try and rectify, shes been told there is no cooling off period and it must be paid and they must fly from the airport booked.
    I have said to them it is probably cheaper to lose the deposit and start fresh with a new booking, but they have told me they have been told by loveholidays that they have to go ahead with the whole thing...
    Is this correct?
Page 3
    • ip2000
    • By ip2000 8th Oct 17, 11:02 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ip2000
    LH told me I would have to call easyjet, and they have cancelled her flight yes. But LH are saying she may be liable for other costs?
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 8th Oct 17, 11:10 AM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    LH told me I would have to call easyjet, and they have cancelled her flight yes. But LH are saying she may be liable for other costs?
    Originally posted by ip2000

I'm surprised LH and Easyjet did that. LH own the booking and only they should be able to do anything with it.

Did LH mean accommodation costs?
    • ip2000
    • By ip2000 8th Oct 17, 11:13 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ip2000
    I was surprised too, I thought everything should have been done through LH, yes maybe that's the extra costs they mean. For now they have told me to remove her from the booking online, which I have done, now we have to wait 72 hours for them to "work out costs".
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 8th Oct 17, 6:04 PM
    • 24,251 Posts
    • 11,535 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    Ok, have spoke to LoveHolidays this a.m they are saying she is liable for payment, it doesn't matter that although they state to make a booking you must be over 18, they said because it was done online the person "could have entered their d.o.b wrong".
    Easyjet have cancelled the flights with no charge because it was within 24 hours of the booking being made.
    This is SO wrong its unbelievable!!

If she had entered the wrong DOB then their system should have picked this up and refused the booking and secondly if the wrong DOB was put on the booking how would she have got onto the airplane??

I know I have been banging on about this but please get in touch with Trading Standards about this.

You could have told LH to meet you in court for breach of contract - I guarantee you that when their legal people saw what has happened they would have backed down.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 8th Oct 17, 6:26 PM
    • 2,973 Posts
    • 1,495 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    The problem is that may not be a package but two separate contracts for the flights and the accommodation, that is why Easyjet think they have a contract with the client as their or their parents card has been used to make the booking as though they were a direct client
    Last edited by Alan Bowen; 09-10-2017 at 10:02 PM.
    • macman
    • By macman 9th Oct 17, 10:55 AM
    • 41,418 Posts
    • 17,039 Thanks
    macman
    OP, are you really happy for your daughter to go on holiday with an 18 year old who can't tell the difference between Gatwick and Manchester airports on a booking screen? It doesn't exactly fill me with confidence...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • ip2000
    • By ip2000 9th Oct 17, 1:08 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ip2000
    100% no. I'm livid but just trying to help them sort it out. She's not going now, whether we have to pay or not.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 9th Oct 17, 5:08 PM
    • 16,116 Posts
    • 40,005 Thanks
    FBaby
    OP, are you really happy for your daughter to go on holiday with an 18 year old who can't tell the difference between Gatwick and Manchester airports on a booking screen? It doesn't exactly fill me with confidence..
    That's a very easy mistake to make when you go back and forth on the website. I almost made the same mistake a couple of years back and that was after years of booking two or three times a year. I still managed to stay alive and well!

I personally don't understand why they couldn't travel to Gatwick. Maybe it was cheaper than travelling from Manchester, hence the error, and so they got a good deal even if needing to take a train and bus. I agree that it's easy to take a high stand with that friend and decide to cancel everything as a result. They should be supporting her, telling her that errors happen. It's not the end of the world and at least they will have all learned to be extra careful next time they book a holiday.
    • marsman802
    • By marsman802 9th Oct 17, 5:13 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    marsman802
    This seems pretty open/shut - they booking is surely voided by result of DOB clearly not being 18 whether entered wrongly or not. Given the fact the people travelling are under 18 anyway just adds weight as that is clearly a provable fact with passports/birth certs.
    • ip2000
    • By ip2000 9th Oct 17, 5:38 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ip2000
    Ok so LH are sticking fast and not budging at all. All costs must be paid.
    Will be calling Trading Standards tomorrow.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 9th Oct 17, 9:33 PM
    • 11,717 Posts
    • 7,937 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Ok so LH are sticking fast and not budging at all. All costs must be paid.
    Will be calling Trading Standards tomorrow.
    No need to call Trading Standards, or anyone...

There is no contract with LH because the person who made the booking is under 18. Obviously LH will tell you by 'phone (or letter) that payment must be made, but they cannot enforce it.

Either ignore them, or write to them inviting them to whistle for the money.
    • ip2000
    • By ip2000 9th Oct 17, 10:25 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ip2000
    They have her card details though, I'm presuming they are going to take the cancellation fee and whatever else they want....
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 10th Oct 17, 1:46 PM
    • 3,947 Posts
    • 2,943 Thanks
    sheramber
    There would be no problem with them travelling as the OP has said they will 18 by then.

Neither the OP nor her daughter are the person who booked the holiday.

What are the other girls' parents saying about this?

Whose card was used to pay?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,066Posts Today

7,600Users online

Martin's Twitter