Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HHarry
    • By HHarry 6th Oct 17, 6:55 PM
    • 408Posts
    • 274Thanks
    HHarry
    College + Work Experience - Car Useage
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:55 PM
    College + Work Experience - Car Useage 6th Oct 17 at 6:55 PM
    I'm hoping that there are some other parents out there who must have come across this.....

My Daughter has just started college, but spends one day a week off campus on work experience (unpaid, organised by the college).
    Is S,D,P & Commuting cover going to be OK, or is Business use needed?

(I have e-mailed the companies directly, but the responses so far have been a little vague)
Page 1
    • Sally A
    • By Sally A 13th Oct 17, 11:11 PM
    • 2,224 Posts
    • 5,820 Thanks
    Sally A
    • 13th Oct 17, 11:11 PM
    • 13th Oct 17, 11:11 PM
    Which insurer is your daughter with?

Some include commute within the SDP definition, the cheaper companies that just want to be top of the comparison charts
    may not.

Commuting is usually defined as to and from a regular place of work - if she has to go to different locations this may be classed as "additional business use".

The policy booklet should make the usage definitions clear.

If she is carrying people or goods as part of her work experience this could open another can of worms.

• sheramber
    • By sheramber 14th Oct 17, 2:52 PM
    • 3,977 Posts
    • 2,956 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 14th Oct 17, 2:52 PM
    • 14th Oct 17, 2:52 PM
    Have you checked how much extra business insurance would be?

When i was working those who sometimes visited other offices had to take out business insurance but found it didn't cost any extra.
    • HHarry
    • By HHarry 16th Oct 17, 7:53 AM
    • 408 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    HHarry
    • 16th Oct 17, 7:53 AM
    • 16th Oct 17, 7:53 AM
    Thanks both,

Having spoken to Hastings & MoreThan (the two cheapest quotes for renewal); Hastings would require S,D,P&C, MOreThan just S,D,P.
    Thats was for three days a week at college and one day work experience at a single site.

Business use is no more expensive with Hastings and cheaper with MT, so is the best bet.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 16th Oct 17, 5:04 PM
    • 1,018 Posts
    • 415 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 16th Oct 17, 5:04 PM
    • 16th Oct 17, 5:04 PM
    What will she be doing as work experience? That will depend upon whether she needs business use or not.

Or do you mean 'commuting' instead of business use?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 16th Oct 17, 8:14 PM
    • 3,977 Posts
    • 2,956 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 16th Oct 17, 8:14 PM
    • 16th Oct 17, 8:14 PM
    Commuting covers travel to usual place of work.

If you travel to a different place of work you may need cover for business use.

e.g some members of my office would go and work in another office for a day or a week or a month to help out when they had a back log of work..

They needed business cover, commuting did not cover it as it was not their usual place of business.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

253Posts Today

1,335Users online

Martin's Twitter