Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrspoons
    • By mrspoons 6th Oct 17, 6:35 PM
    • 122Posts
    • 55Thanks
    mrspoons
    What PPI claim company is best to use?
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:35 PM
    What PPI claim company is best to use? 6th Oct 17 at 6:35 PM
    I know its not the done thing on this forum but to due to one thing and another I can't be bothered with the rigmarole of doing the PPI legwork myself.

I've found a company called ReclaimPPI thats charging 10% which I think is reasonable and most of the banks I've ever used are on there (apart from black horse who I probably had a car loan with at one point)

Anyone else ever used them or have any other recommendations?

Cheers
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    • 13,683 Posts
    • 14,148 Thanks
    zx81
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    No one here would ever recommend a claims company.

You will need to give them all the information, let them copy it down wrong and then pay them for posting the letter.

Easier to buy your own stamp.
    • mrspoons
    • By mrspoons 6th Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    mrspoons
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    thats why I said its not the done thing in my original post, I was just wondering if anyone had used one at all.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Oct 17, 6:44 PM
    • 13,683 Posts
    • 14,148 Thanks
    zx81
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:44 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:44 PM
    Lots of people have, and they all appear to have regretted it.

Have a look for some of the threads on here at how people feel when they have to write a cheque for a three grand stamp.
    • mrspoons
    • By mrspoons 6th Oct 17, 6:48 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    mrspoons
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:48 PM
    Will leave the thread open for any useful replies just on the off chance then.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Oct 17, 6:48 PM
    • 13,683 Posts
    • 14,148 Thanks
    zx81
    I think you've already had them...
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 6th Oct 17, 6:49 PM
    • 1,491 Posts
    • 3,131 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:49 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:49 PM
    I'd bet that the 10% fee will turn out to be a lot more.

What rigmarole can't you be bothered with?
    • mrspoons
    • By mrspoons 6th Oct 17, 6:51 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    mrspoons
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:51 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:51 PM
    any of it really - sorting out who I've sent letters to, following stuff up

got a few other more important things on at the moment that I need to deal with and was hoping for a quick solution.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 6th Oct 17, 7:02 PM
    • 89,852 Posts
    • 55,457 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:02 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:02 PM
    Remember that if your complaints are successful, you receive the money directly. You then get billed by the claims company and have to send them their cut. It can be an eye opener when people have to send upto £10,000 to a claims company just for putting a stamp on an envelope.

any of it really - sorting out who I've sent letters to, following stuff up
    The claims companies dont follow it up. They send the one letter and then sit back and wait. You have to give them the information for them to put it on the form. Any reason why you cannot put it on the form yourself?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 6th Oct 17, 11:19 PM
    • 19,547 Posts
    • 9,657 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I've found a company called .....thats charging 10%
    Originally posted by mrspoons
    I've marked your post as Spam, since you are actually extolling the virtues of a named PPI company based only on the % they charge.
    Will leave the thread open
    Originally posted by mrspoons
    You have no power to close it to further replies..
    • -taff
    • By -taff 7th Oct 17, 10:33 AM
    • 7,446 Posts
    • 4,895 Thanks
    -taff
    Since you know it's not the done thing on this forum you know no-one will reccomend any company to you.

I sympathise with your dilemma. Phoning up the companies involved will take so much time and effort. Similarly, filling in a form on the company's website will also take so much time.
    • datlex
    • By datlex 7th Oct 17, 1:05 PM
    • 1,361 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    datlex
    Nice to see all the helpful responses. There are times when companies might come in useful such as when you don't have the paperwork for old PPI potential claims or more complex issues.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Oct 17, 1:57 PM
    • 13,683 Posts
    • 14,148 Thanks
    zx81
    Claims companies wouldn't be of any advantage in those cases either.

They still send the same letters that you do, but it takes longer to do it and it reduce your chances of success.
    • mrspoons
    • By mrspoons 7th Oct 17, 2:15 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    mrspoons
    after doing a bit more reading it appears I’ll get nothing anyway as I stopped taking any form of ppi over ten years ago and don’t have any paperwork for any of my credit from my older and stupider days.
    • kaybo69
    • By kaybo69 8th Oct 17, 10:21 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    kaybo69
    It's really not a lot of bother to claim yourself. I claimed on behalf of my Fiance and got her £12.5k from nowhere. It took about a month from first query to final payments. There were 3 loan accounts which she had paid PPI on. One loan for £20k had monthly premium of over £100. She had no idea what a waste of money that was at the time!
    All banks have got their own PPI complaints department who are obliged to tell you what PPI cover you had, when and what the premium was. They then have their own forms which you need to fill in.
    It really is worth doing it yourself, seriously!!
    Off the back of my success I've just been in touch with my own Natwest bank and they have also advised that I have paid out £2k in PPI as far back as 1999. I even spoke to someone on the phone yesterday to confirm the dates of the cover so that I can submit a claim, in fact the reason I am sat typing on this forum now is because I am to submit a claim using Martin Lewis's Resolver tool - search for it on this website.
    Last edited by kaybo69; 08-10-2017 at 10:24 AM.
    • MakeAChange
    • By MakeAChange 8th Oct 17, 2:34 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    MakeAChange
    do it yourself, iv just done mine with the guidance from this website, and it has been upheld (not sure what i have to come yet) but iv just won 6 cases by doing it myself, and i hardly understand anything about the complex bits and pieces.

I have a friend who i spoke to yesterday about it and she paid out 4grand to a company when she did hers a few years ago, ridiculous!
    • -taff
    • By -taff 8th Oct 17, 5:35 PM
    • 7,446 Posts
    • 4,895 Thanks
    -taff
    Just to put it in perspective.

If someone employs a claims company, what they are paying for is 56p for a second class stamp for the company to send the same form, which the company will expect you to provide all the info for.

So you're still doing all the work yourself and giving them 10% at a bare mimimum.

56p is all the effort they spend on making your complaint.
    • PLYSU
    • By PLYSU 8th Oct 17, 9:10 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    PLYSU
    Hi. I have claimed lots of money for my mum/dad/brother/his girlfriend/my bezzie.

Sometimes I used a claims company, when appropriate. Like with the Clydesdale Bank/ Yorkshire Bank they were proven to be liars.

When dealing with this bank, I used Beat the Banks (they were staffed by ex-staff from the bank) and therefore sometimes using a claims company I thought was appropriate despite the fees.

With my Mums Debenhams/Evans I used JMP Partnership as they had success with Santander on a previous case.

With mum and dads Halifax mortgage, Barclaycard, MINT card and a couple of others, I was able to do this on my own.

I am not sure they "just stick a stamp" on something. My own experience is some of them have helped drive the PPI complaints forward.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 8th Oct 17, 11:47 PM
    • 7,446 Posts
    • 4,895 Thanks
    -taff
    I am not sure they "just stick a stamp" on something. My own experience is some of them have helped drive the PPI complaints forward.
    Originally posted by PLYSU

Yes, they do.

How exactly did they drive something forward that is a defined procedure and EXACTLY THE SAME PROCESS that you would use?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,796Posts Today

7,708Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin