Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sprinkly
    • By Sprinkly 6th Oct 17, 6:32 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Sprinkly
    Broadband on all the time or off
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:32 PM
    Broadband on all the time or off 6th Oct 17 at 6:32 PM
    I don't like leaving my broadband router switched on all day when I'm not at home. Will turning it off affect it?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Oct 17, 6:34 PM
    • 14,354 Posts
    • 15,110 Thanks
    zx81
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:34 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:34 PM
    It will reduce your line speed.

Why don't you like leaving it on? Does it get up to no good while you're out?
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 6th Oct 17, 7:25 PM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:25 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:25 PM
    Switch it off if you must but don't be surprised if your internet speed drops.

If its power usage you're worried about, a router costs about £5 a year if that to run. If its heat and you think it's going to burst into flames, first of all give it plenty of ventilation (which you should do anyway) and they don't run that hot. If you think other people can get onto it, change your wireless key and network name regularly.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 6th Oct 17, 7:57 PM
    • 1,971 Posts
    • 2,482 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:57 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:57 PM
    My router has sat in my attic, switched on, for the last 7 years. It doesn't even get a rest when we have a power failure as it is connected to a UPS.
    • craigr98
    • By craigr98 7th Oct 17, 5:18 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    craigr98
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:18 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:18 AM
    Just checked and my Vodafone router has up for 39 days, 21 hours and 32 minutes (an exciting post I know).
    • Sprinkly
    • By Sprinkly 8th Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Sprinkly
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    Thanks all I suspected that my speed might be reduced but wasn't sure if I did turn it off so I'll leave it on..��
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 8th Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    Any speed reductions caused by your powering the router off will only be temporary - leaving it on will eventually maximise the speed your line can get.

Powering the router off is the same, as far as the network is concerned, as dropping the connection. It makes the system think your line can't cope with that speed and knocks you down to a slower speed in the hope of finding you a more stable connection.
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 9th Oct 17, 8:49 AM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 620 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:49 AM
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:49 AM
    Any speed reductions caused by your powering the router off will only be temporary - leaving it on will eventually maximise the speed your line can get.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    True, but if you turn off the router every night it will not be on long enough to get back to the max speed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,726Posts Today

7,218Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin