Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • elle may
    • By elle may 6th Oct 17, 6:16 PM
    • 180Posts
    • 94Thanks
    elle may
    duel fuel discount's
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:16 PM
    duel fuel discount's 6th Oct 17 at 6:16 PM
    Are the discounts for this stable. I have saw my DF discount with SP change each time on my monthly bill. This month's only has the DF discount and not the online discount that was olso on at the begining of the year. I have changed tariff's a few times with them.Is this the reason?
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 6th Oct 17, 7:16 PM
    • 830 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:16 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:16 PM
    Different tariffs can have different dual-fuel discounts but also remember these are typically pro-rated on a daily basis. So on the months with 31 days it may appear that you get a slightly higher discount than you would in a 30 day month.
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 7th Oct 17, 10:12 AM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 1,481 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:12 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:12 AM
    Err maybe I'm getting past it, but I seem to recall that 'Dual Fuel Discounts' were outlawed by Ofgem as they were unfair to Electric only customers without a gas supply.

Certainly there are discounts for online billing, but in reality most customers who take Dual Fuel from a single supplier would be better off getting their Elec from one supplier, and the Gas from another
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 7th Oct 17, 12:09 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 1,470 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:09 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:09 PM
    Err maybe I'm getting past it, but I seem to recall that 'Dual Fuel Discounts' were outlawed by Ofgem as they were unfair to Electric only customers without a gas supply....
    Originally posted by dogshome
    There still seem many suppliers offering a dual fuel discount, according to the CEC.

This from the SP website

One of the great benefits of choosing Dual Fuel is that you can enjoy our Dual Fuel discount on your bill, helping you make savings on your power cost. And if you are a current ScottishPower customer receiving one or the other, either gas or electricity, a Dual Fuel tariff is available to you as well.
    https://www.scottishpower.co.uk/gas-and-electricity/dual-fuel/

Having said that, I usually find even better deals are available if you source your electricity and gas from different suppliers (and forget all about dual fuel discount)

OP- I urge you to consult a comparson site to see if seperate suppliers are a better option for you
    Last edited by footyguy; 07-10-2017 at 12:17 PM.
    • Bark01
    • By Bark01 7th Oct 17, 4:22 PM
    • 763 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    Bark01
    • 7th Oct 17, 4:22 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 4:22 PM
    DF discounts on new tariifs were outlawed under RMR ~2013 in but the restrictions on discounts and tariff structures was removed last year as a result of the CMA investigation.

All part of the regulation cycle

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/cma-provisional-remedies-removal-certain-rmr-simpler-choices-rules
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

377Posts Today

3,131Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin