Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rainio
    • By rainio 6th Oct 17, 6:02 PM
    • 38Posts
    • 0Thanks
    rainio
    "Overall claim cost"
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:02 PM
    "Overall claim cost" 6th Oct 17 at 6:02 PM
    Hello,
    I'm in the process of a claim with my insurance company regarding a broken electrical product (aprox £900). I have the option of claiming for another item that was also broken that has been repaired (aprox £300). The representative I'm dealing with said I may not want to claim for both want to keep "the overall calim cost down". I asked why and she said for my "claims history".

Can anyone explain why this is?

Thanks.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Oct 17, 6:42 PM
    • 33,044 Posts
    • 17,007 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:42 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:42 PM
    Is this all going to be a single claim?

If so £1200 will not have any more impact on your future premiums than a £900 claim. (Assuming you are claiming off your home insurance)

But if it will be 2 claims then before you decide do dummy quotes online with 1 and 2 claims to see what difference it makes to future premiums

If these are warranty type claims off an electrical warranty/breakdown policy then claim away!
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 6th Oct 17, 7:28 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    Blibble
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:28 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:28 PM
    £900 or £1200 shouldn't really have any bearing on the future policy cost.

Even if it did have an impact, it would only be for a period of a few years, and not exceed the £300 you'd be getting back through the claim. I'd have thought it might be worth tagging the further item on.
    • rainio
    • By rainio 6th Oct 17, 7:43 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rainio
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:43 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:43 PM
    Thank you for your help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,792Posts Today

9,418Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin