Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 6th Oct 17, 5:53 PM
    • 1,350Posts
    • 1,358Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    Money for wedding gift
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:53 PM
    Money for wedding gift 6th Oct 17 at 5:53 PM
    We have been invited to a wedding of friends. I've known the bride for 10 years, however these days we meet up maybe once every 4 months ( used to be every week before she met her partner etc). I've met her partner a handful of times ( by chance at public events) she seems nice but only really exchanged pleasantries. We have only purposefully gone out as a group once.
    So my question is, what's a fair amount of money to gift them? I don't want to be stingy but they are not really close friends! I'm thinking £50 ish. I had originally thought £100, but if I bought a present I wouldn't spend that much.
    Last edited by Fireflyaway; 06-10-2017 at 5:55 PM. Reason: T
Page 3
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 9th Oct 17, 9:32 PM
    • 4,715 Posts
    • 7,496 Thanks
    Gavin83
    an outfit
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    Surely everyone already has at least one outfit suitable for a wedding, why do they need to buy a new one?

Personally I think £50 is a reasonable amount if you are close enough to have been invited as a day guest. However it's purely down to the individual and how much they wish to give. No bride/groom should criticise the amount given as a gift.
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 11th Oct 17, 1:21 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    andydownes123
    Ahh the old "I need X amount from my guests otherwise I'm not profiting from my wedding" tale...

£50 to sibling, mum/dad etc.
    £25 to everyone else (extended family and friends)
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 11th Oct 17, 3:11 PM
    • 6,081 Posts
    • 7,819 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    £50 seems pretty generous to me. You should give what you can afford and feel comfortable with. If you are worried about feeling/looking stingy (although you shouldn't, there is no right or wrong amount, if they invited you with the assumption that you would 'cover your plate' then they, not you, are the ones being rude!) then buy something small such as a bottle of wine or fancy chocolates and give that together with a cheque for £30-£25 or whatever you feel comfortable with.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 11th Oct 17, 4:02 PM
    • 7,413 Posts
    • 10,284 Thanks
    jackieblack
    Surely everyone already has at least one outfit suitable for a wedding, why do they need to buy a new one?
    Originally posted by Gavin83
    I don't.
    It's over 20 years since I last went to a wedding and that outfit wouldn't fit me now even if I still had it. As I haven't been to another wedding since I haven't had a cause to buy anything that would be suitable to wear for one.

On the other hand I have several outfits suitable for funerals
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 11th Oct 17, 4:58 PM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 2,872 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Ahh the old "I need X amount from my guests otherwise I'm not profiting from my wedding" tale...

£50 to sibling, mum/dad etc.
    £25 to everyone else (extended family and friends)
    Originally posted by andydownes123
    spot on

Wedding abroad, cheaper than having it home, a celebration night once home for the £ gifts.
    • Boyoboy
    • By Boyoboy 16th Oct 17, 4:31 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Boyoboy
    I think probably everyone prefers a gift of money, if they haven’t supplied a wedding gift list. And I wouldn’t want to buy a gift and try to guess what would be liked. Just what you can afford - if the bride and groom are worth their salt they won’t mind how much or little.
    • haras_nosirrah
    • By haras_nosirrah 16th Oct 17, 5:59 PM
    • 1,322 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    haras_nosirrah
    when I got married we had money but in a gift list type way. We had a honeymoon gift list and it was experiences while on honeymoon. We went to Italy and had a monetary value from anything from a chosen amount towards the hotel (so no minimum) up to a gondola ride in venice. In the thank you cards we put in a picture of us doing what they had contributed to. Similar to others we had lived together for 6 years and had no need for start up home stuff but had an amazing honeymoon
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • northwalesd
    • By northwalesd 18th Oct 17, 12:58 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    northwalesd
    I don't gave money as a gift.
    Originally posted by CharlesEdwards
    Thank goodness we're not all the same.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,982Posts Today

7,788Users online

Martin's Twitter