Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 6th Oct 17, 5:53 PM
    • 1,360Posts
    • 1,377Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    Money for wedding gift
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:53 PM
    Money for wedding gift 6th Oct 17 at 5:53 PM
    We have been invited to a wedding of friends. I've known the bride for 10 years, however these days we meet up maybe once every 4 months ( used to be every week before she met her partner etc). I've met her partner a handful of times ( by chance at public events) she seems nice but only really exchanged pleasantries. We have only purposefully gone out as a group once.
    So my question is, what's a fair amount of money to gift them? I don't want to be stingy but they are not really close friends! I'm thinking £50 ish. I had originally thought £100, but if I bought a present I wouldn't spend that much.
    Last edited by Fireflyaway; 06-10-2017 at 5:55 PM. Reason: T
Page 1
    • Brighton belle
    • By Brighton belle 6th Oct 17, 6:01 PM
    • 5,088 Posts
    • 25,088 Thanks
    Brighton belle
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:01 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:01 PM
    Gosh, I have never spent £100 on a wedding gift for anyone - you must have loads of spare dosh to be thinking that for a friend ( and not a close one).(And no, we didn't ask for any gifts for our wedding)
    I might go to £50 for someone special in my life, like a young relative.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
    • London50
    • By London50 6th Oct 17, 6:17 PM
    • 1,533 Posts
    • 1,448 Thanks
    London50
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:17 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:17 PM
    For a close family member £100 is a fair amount but other people no more than £50 and IMO that is pushing to the max limit.
    As you say if it was a "gift" you would not pay out that for it so why worry as it is a cash gift. Knowing the way things seem to go these days once the wedding is over if you have any contact it is likely to be just Christmas/birthdays if that.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 6th Oct 17, 6:22 PM
    • 2,848 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:22 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:22 PM
    £50 for someone I rarely see is a bit much.

I give £50 for close family and friends.
    • maman
    • By maman 6th Oct 17, 6:27 PM
    • 17,155 Posts
    • 102,577 Thanks
    maman
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:27 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:27 PM
    I think the £50 is generous but as you used to see each other every week and can afford it then I'd go with it.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 6th Oct 17, 6:40 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 1,377 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:40 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:40 PM
    I have a little feeling the partner of friend might think we are being stingy. Comes across a bit needy and dramatic.... We are staying the night which costs more than £50 and I think she might think we are cheeky spending more on us than them.
    However going back to the gift thing, if it were a physical present £50 would be generous. Maybe I could get a little something for them to unwrap to.
    • London50
    • By London50 6th Oct 17, 7:00 PM
    • 1,533 Posts
    • 1,448 Thanks
    London50
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:00 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:00 PM
    Yes, gift wise a small pack of tea towels {market stall} should cover and tough if it does not ;0)
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 6th Oct 17, 7:09 PM
    • 2,031 Posts
    • 5,543 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:09 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:09 PM
    I have a little feeling the partner of friend might think we are being stingy.
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    So? That's their problem, if anything less than £100 is stingy there are a lot of stingy people about!
    • lika_86
    • By lika_86 6th Oct 17, 8:36 PM
    • 1,192 Posts
    • 4,245 Thanks
    lika_86
    • 6th Oct 17, 8:36 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 8:36 PM
    I would normally give £100 if myself and partner are invited to a wedding, I tend to reckon £30ish each covers food and then some on top as 'profit'. I don't necessarily believe it should be broken down by that but it's something to work from. Plus I tend to appreciate it when friends who don't know my partner all that well invite him too, so like to cover that.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 6th Oct 17, 8:53 PM
    • 9,843 Posts
    • 12,487 Thanks
    hazyjo
    £30 is fine. £50 is generous. £100 is too much unless a very close friend or family IMO.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • foolofbeans
    • By foolofbeans 6th Oct 17, 9:28 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    foolofbeans
    I gave £50 to a family member for their wedding recently. I suppose it depends on your circumstances but I know they hadn't gone overboard on their wedding day and £50 was a lot to us.
    As we only got a general message on a Facebook status "thanks to all the guests for the gifts and money" I regret spending that much on them.
    I think it is definitely more difficult to economise when couples do not have gifts and you have to give money.
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 6th Oct 17, 9:34 PM
    • 17,011 Posts
    • 26,032 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    £30 is fine. £50 is generous. £100 is too much unless a very close friend or family IMO.
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    I agree. It's down to the individual and the circumstances they are in
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 6th Oct 17, 9:48 PM
    • 5,364 Posts
    • 11,020 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    We are staying the night which costs more than £50
    Would you have chosen to stay anyway even if you had to pay for your own room?

If yes I would give the cost of the room (remember they will get cheaper than standard rate) plus what I would normally spend (£30 ish)
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 11 #017 - Open 1st Nov

• Brighton belle
    • By Brighton belle 6th Oct 17, 10:41 PM
    • 5,088 Posts
    • 25,088 Thanks
    Brighton belle
    We are staying the night which costs more than £50 and I think she might think we are cheeky spending more on us than them.
    Would you have chosen to stay anyway even if you had to pay for your own room?

If yes I would give the cost of the room (remember they will get cheaper than standard rate) plus what I would normally spend (£30 ish)
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    I took from the OP's post that the OP was funding their own room (as the bride might be offended that they were prepared to spend £50 on 'themselves' and less for a present for them....yes she sounds a bit ghastly...)
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 6th Oct 17, 10:51 PM
    • 5,364 Posts
    • 11,020 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    I took from the OP's post that the OP was funding their own room (as the bride might be offended that they were prepared to spend £50 on 'themselves' and less for a present for them....yes she sounds a bit ghastly...)
    Originally posted by Brighton belle
    If anyone thinks a gift should be higher in value than the cost the OP already has to pay to attend, they need to think again!

In that case I would give £10
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 6th Oct 17, 11:30 PM
    • 2,848 Posts
    • 2,885 Thanks
    cjdavies
    I have a little feeling the partner of friend might think we are being stingy. Comes across a bit needy and dramatic.... We are staying the night which costs more than £50 and I think she might think we are cheeky spending more on us than them.
    However going back to the gift thing, if it were a physical present £50 would be generous. Maybe I could get a little something for them to unwrap to.
    If they think that, then they are greedy and seem to be type of people who invite for more £
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 6th Oct 17, 11:46 PM
    • 3,200 Posts
    • 8,857 Thanks
    LilElvis
    Everyone will have an opinion on what is a "reasonable" amount to give but it will be determined by their personal feelings regarding gifts and their financial circumstances - £50 could be what one person will spend on a bottle of wine whilst for another it would represent a couple of weeks food shopping. The "right" amount is what you feel happy to give.

A small, personal gift as an addition would be a lovely gesture - and will likely be remembered long after the pot of money they have been gifted has been spent. We went to the wedding a few weeks ago for my husband's PA at his old company. They had a tradition where every time that someone in their department got married they were given a large, tacky crystal swan which was passed on at the next wedding. This went on for years and years, and many weddings, until it eventually ended up in Australia and was never seen again. I bought a small, equally tacky, crystal swan from Amazon for about £6 and my husband wrote a note to remind the bride about their old tradition. It was a rubbish gift but she was crying and laughing at all the memories it brought back as they reminisced about all the previous owners of the original crystal swan.
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 7th Oct 17, 1:44 AM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 2,848 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    Why does it have to be cash? How about a voucher or a actual gift instead?

Once my sister gave a relative £50 for their wedding, she was criticised by the brides mother for being stingie. What wasn't taken into account is that my sister travelled so paid train and accommodation as well as taking a days leave from work so was rather upset by that comment.

I think £50 is more than enough for someone you only see quarterly. Would you be judgemental if she gave you £50?
    • mark5
    • By mark5 7th Oct 17, 1:47 AM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    mark5
    As a day guest as a couple attending a wedding at a nice venue I would be thinking £100 as a present.

I've always thought of it as roughly the cost of our meals and evening buffet etc.

It's 2017 not 1999, £50 doesn't go that far anymore.
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 7th Oct 17, 8:07 AM
    • 2,633 Posts
    • 3,647 Thanks
    JReacher1
    i usually go £50 per person day guest. £20 per person evening guest.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,131Posts Today

5,876Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• Follow Martin