Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Neenee58431
    • By Neenee58431 6th Oct 17, 5:43 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Neenee58431
    Solicitor Quote Comparison
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:43 PM
    Solicitor Quote Comparison 6th Oct 17 at 5:43 PM
    Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help? My partner and I just had an offer accepted on a maisonette and we're trying to compare quotes on solicitors. We've found that many give nice clear quotes but they're not always comparable. Some include Stamp Duty Land Tax form filling separately, some include that within the fees.

The difficult part though is where they don't include everything that would be required in our situation. Cross referencing all the quotes I have come up with the following list of things that they should be including but is anyone able to spot if I've missed something? I'm trying to avoid unexpected charges coming up later down the line.

* = will be subject to VAT

Legal fees*
    leasehold fees*
    SDLT (stamp duty tax land return form)*
    Search Pack
    Land Registry Search
    Bankruptcy Search
    Stamp Duty
    ID Verification
    Local environment and drainage searches
    Land Registry Fee
    Office Copy Entries
    Anti-Money Laundering Fee on your purchase

Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • chappers
    • By chappers 6th Oct 17, 6:12 PM
    • 2,956 Posts
    • 1,704 Thanks
    chappers
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:12 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:12 PM
    To be honest they will all do all the things you need, they won't leave any thing for you to do.
    All of the disbursements will be the same regardless of who you use so really all you need to compare are the raw solicitors cost, no mater how they are itemised.
    In your list the disbursements are;

Searches
    Land registry fee
    Money laundering checks

Everything else would be part of the general legal duties, there may be a charge for any bank transfers they may have to make and if you are also selling and have a mortgage to discharge.
    Last edited by chappers; 06-10-2017 at 6:21 PM.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 6th Oct 17, 6:26 PM
    • 42,330 Posts
    • 49,172 Thanks
    G_M
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:26 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:26 PM
    Sorry but some cheap online warehouses will add even more in the small print....

Legal fees*
    leasehold fees*
    Search Pack
    Land Registry Search
    Bankruptcy Search
    Stamp Duty
    ID Verification
    Local environment and drainage searches
    other optional searches
    Land Registry Fee
    Office Copy Entries
    Anti-Money Laundering Fee on your purchase
    professional indemnity insurance fee
    Telegraphic Transfer fee
    acting for mortgage lender
    Office fees (photocopying etc)
    Originally posted by Neenee58431
    For searches, read
    https://www.reallymoving.com/first-time-buyers/guides/what-are-conveyancing-searches

For more on comparing quotes:
    http://www.theadvisory.co.uk/conveyancing-quote.php

My advice? Walk down your local High Street, go into 3 solicitors' offices, and ask to see a solicitor for a conveyancing quote. See how responsive they are. Once speaking to the solictor, explain exactly what you want eg
    * freehold or leasehold
    * with mortgage? which lender?
    * which local authority

You should get a written quote tailored to your requirements as well as a good idea how sympathetic/approachable they will be throughout the process. It's not just all about the cost........
    Last edited by G_M; 06-10-2017 at 6:30 PM.
    • Neenee58431
    • By Neenee58431 6th Oct 17, 8:09 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Neenee58431
    • 6th Oct 17, 8:09 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 8:09 PM
    Thanks both! Especially for the quick reply. We will look to go into their offices tomorrow - interesting to see how responsive they'll be on a Saturday too

Any tips for Surveyors? I've received quotes ranging from 400-550 for homebuyers surveys. I'll be googling them for reviews just in case too.

Cheers.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 6th Oct 17, 9:09 PM
    • 6,084 Posts
    • 7,837 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 6th Oct 17, 9:09 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 9:09 PM
    Most solicitors won't be able to come down and give a quote if you call in without an appointment. If they can, it could be a sign that they are not very busy.
    It's probably more sensible to phone and see how quickly you get a call back, to discuss a quote.
    Also, don't assume that someone who is not a solicitor isn't perfectly competent - do use a solicitors firm, but there are many highly experienced and competent legal executives doing this kind of work. Don't discount them.
    • Fiesto88
    • By Fiesto88 6th Oct 17, 9:53 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    Fiesto88
    • 6th Oct 17, 9:53 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 9:53 PM
    Another vote for visiting in person or speaking directly with the solicitor rather than the admin. We had four quotes and ended up going with the second-most expensive one based entirely on meeting him. He was the only one who explained everything in crystal clear English and laid out exactly how he works and what we could expect in terms of communication and updates. He was also the only one who asked any questions about the property beyond the address and purchase price - based on this, he was able to tell us a lot about what sort of curve balls might come up. He’s turned out to be exactly what he said on the tin and he seems to “get it” that it’s a very nerve-racking experience.

The cheapest one couldn’t emphasise enough how busy she was and how many cases she’s handling at any one time. She also got the stamp duty amount wrong (she was the cheapest even with it corrected). We’d have saved around £250 but I had no confidence she’d do a good job. By coincidence, it turns out that her firm did the conveyancing when our vendor purchased the property and, surprise surprise, there are things missing now that should have been obtained for the vendor then (less than 2 years ago).
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 7th Oct 17, 9:04 AM
    • 5,577 Posts
    • 4,981 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:04 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:04 AM

Legal fees*
    leasehold fees*
    Originally posted by Neenee58431
    you do not pay VAT on the SDLT

the figure upon which your SDLT amount payable is calculated does (where applicable) include any VAT charged on the fees built into your purchase price, but for a residential property it is 99.9% certain there will be no VATable fees included in the price you pay to the vendor because it is very unlikely that the residential property will itself be subject to VAT. (If the property were a commercial, not residential one, the situation would most likely be reversed)

the costs you pay to your own advisers (surveyor, legals, lender etc) do not form part of the chargeable consideration upon which the SDLT is calculated

so you do not pay extra VAT on the actual SDLT you have to pay
    Last edited by 00ec25; 07-10-2017 at 9:12 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

475Posts Today

3,429Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin