Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • newleaf
    • By newleaf 6th Oct 17, 5:34 PM
    • 2,985Posts
    • 3,418Thanks
    newleaf
    item drastically reduced in price shortly after purchase
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:34 PM
    item drastically reduced in price shortly after purchase 6th Oct 17 at 5:34 PM
    I bought an expensive coat a couple of days ago, a 'new season' waterproof, so obviously I was not expecting it to be reduced in price any time soon, and I needed it. It came today, and I'm very pleased with it, so I went back to the website intending to leave a favourable review but was then very shocked to find that it has 40% off in a weekend promotion!
    I suppose could repurchase and return the original, but that would incur a returns cost.
    Do I have any grounds to ask for a refund of the difference in price between the price I paid and the current offer?
    I've emailed them to complain, but I would like to be certain of my rights before I start arguing the toss.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 6th Oct 17, 5:39 PM
    • 11,090 Posts
    • 7,426 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:39 PM
    No grounds to complain, but you can ask for them to adjust the price - they don't have to. Or you can return. 40% sounds like it would be worth your while to cancel and reorder, assuming the size is still in stock.

Is there a reason you feel you should complain, would you feel the need to pay more if the price had increased?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 6th Oct 17, 5:39 PM
    • 59,283 Posts
    • 42,023 Thanks
    soolin
    You have no rights at all to the difference as a refund, nor any other rights for refunds. Prices vary all the time and I'm sure we've all bought something that we later see has been reduced.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 6th Oct 17, 5:40 PM
    • 3,251 Posts
    • 4,736 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:40 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:40 PM
    I bought an expensive coat a couple of days ago, a 'new season' waterproof, so obviously I was not expecting it to be reduced in price any time soon, and I needed it. It came today, and I'm very pleased with it, so I went back to the website intending to leave a favourable review but was then very shocked to find that it has 40% off in a weekend promotion!
    I suppose could repurchase and return the original, but that would incur a returns cost.
    Do I have any grounds to ask for a refund of the difference in price between the price I paid and the current offer?
    I've emailed them to complain, but I would like to be certain of my rights before I start arguing the toss.
    Originally posted by newleaf
    The usual response will be:

If you had returned to the website and noticed it had gone up in price by 40%, would you be contacting the retailer to pay the extra?

As it stands, you have two options.

1) Contact the retailer and see what they say. They are under no legal obligation to refund you the difference, so try the nicely nicely approach.

2) Purchase the item at the reduced price and return the original for a refund. Bear in mind that if you have removed tags etc then they can deduct a percentage front he refund. You will however have to accept the return postage cost - but you'll still be quids in I presume!

Edit - Just noticed that you have already sent them an email to complain. That will more then likely rule out option number 1.
    • newleaf
    • By newleaf 6th Oct 17, 5:59 PM
    • 2,985 Posts
    • 3,418 Thanks
    newleaf
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:59 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:59 PM
    Thanks for replies, I didn't think I would have any 'actual' rights, just wanted to check.
    They are a major retailer, and pride themselves on their excellent CS and guarantee, so I think they may well offer something as a goodwill gesture.
    I don't think I am unreasonable in being put out, really, given that it is a 'new season' item and has been unexpectedly reduced so significantly in price.
    If I don't hear anything within 24 hours I will repurchase, and return.
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 6th Oct 17, 6:02 PM
    • 3,251 Posts
    • 4,736 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:02 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:02 PM
    Thanks for replies, I didn't think I would have any 'actual' rights, just wanted to check.
    They are a major retailer, and pride themselves on their excellent CS and guarantee, so I think they may well offer something as a goodwill gesture.
    I don't think I am unreasonable in being put out, really, given that it is a 'new season' item and has been unexpectedly reduced so significantly in price.
    If I don't hear anything within 24 hours I will repurchase, and return.
    Happens to all of us.
    The trick is not to keep checking the price after purchase, or if you do make sure you're willing to purchase again and return.
    • newleaf
    • By newleaf 6th Oct 17, 7:45 PM
    • 2,985 Posts
    • 3,418 Thanks
    newleaf
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:45 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:45 PM
    Result! Just had a welcome email from CS - and will now name the company as I feel they have behaved very decently; it's Lands End.

'Thank you for your email regarding your recent order.

I'm sorry you have had to write in to complain regarding our current offer on Outerwear.

We often have Flash Sales for a limited time throughout the year but we will always honour a recently purchased item and credit accordingly.

Therefore, I have credited your credit card with the difference between the amount you paid and the current offer.

I hope this helps and if you require further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask'.

I didn't go back to check the price, by the way, I only intended to write a favourable review of the coat, which is lovely.
    Last edited by newleaf; 06-10-2017 at 7:48 PM.
    • macman
    • By macman 7th Oct 17, 12:20 PM
    • 41,320 Posts
    • 16,984 Thanks
    macman
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:20 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:20 PM
    Good result, but it's odd that you thought you had any 'rights' in this matter. The retailer has given you a refund based on their own voluntary pricing policy. Very few retailers do this, and it's at their discretion. Just as is the right to return an item (unless it is faulty).
    How long would you expect this 'right' to be valid? A couple of days? A week? 6 months?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 7th Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    • 9,756 Posts
    • 7,783 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    A few months ago I bought a washing machine from Argos. I had to contact them about some paperwork a week after delivery. Checking the website for the model number I saw price had now been reduced by 30%.

Rang them about the paperwork and politely mentioned the price reduction. No arguments, the customer service operator immediately agreed to refund the difference back on to my credit card, which was duly done.

It definitely pays to ask (politely).
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 7th Oct 17, 5:39 PM
    • 1,738 Posts
    • 2,133 Thanks
    Anoneemoose
    A few months ago I bought a washing machine from Argos. I had to contact them about some paperwork a week after delivery. Checking the website for the model number I saw price had now been reduced by 30%.

Rang them about the paperwork and politely mentioned the price reduction. No arguments, the customer service operator immediately agreed to refund the difference back on to my credit card, which was duly done.

It definitely pays to ask (politely).
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    We did this with Argos with iPad minis last year. Cheaper on Black Friday than when we purchased a week before. Obviously we weren't actually expecting anything, but were over the moon when they refunded the difference!

It's always worth asking, politely!
    • Hermione Granger
    • By Hermione Granger 7th Oct 17, 7:44 PM
    • 759 Posts
    • 1,180 Thanks
    Hermione Granger
    Good result, but it's odd that you thought you had any 'rights' in this matter.
    Originally posted by macman
    But the OP didn't think they had any right to a refund but they were confirming this before proceeding.
    After all, isn't one purpose of this forum for people to enquire about what rights they have and don't have?
    If everyone was 100% sure of their rights, the forum may as well be closed.

Last edited by Hermione Granger; 08-10-2017 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Grammar correction.
    • SouthUKMan
    • By SouthUKMan 8th Oct 17, 11:32 AM
    • 328 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    SouthUKMan
    Am I missing something? A consumer buys an item because they like it and believe it to be a fair price. They're happy with their purchasing decision.

Then the retailer decides to reduce the price and all of a sudden the consumer is unhappy and talking about their rights and writing to the retailer to complain.

We all like a bargain - but we also have to be reasonable.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 8th Oct 17, 4:43 PM
    • 3,133 Posts
    • 8,706 Thanks
    LilElvis
    Am I missing something? A consumer buys an item because they like it and believe it to be a fair price. They're happy with their purchasing decision.

Then the retailer decides to reduce the price and all of a sudden the consumer is unhappy and talking about their rights and writing to the retailer to complain.

We all like a bargain - but we also have to be reasonable
    Originally posted by SouthUKMan
    I can take "chutzpah" to a whole new level.

Went to a clothing store in the US with a friend to find that they had a huge sale on. She then spotted that a jacket she had purchased a week or two earlier was now reduced in price. She marched up to the till and told them how annoyed she was that her new jacket was now half the price she had paid ...... and they opened the till and gave her back half the original price without her even having either the jacket or the receipt with her. Banana Republic, Stanford Shopping Mall, CA - awesome customer service when faced with a very feisty young lady
    • SouthUKMan
    • By SouthUKMan 8th Oct 17, 5:55 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    SouthUKMan
    I can take "chutzpah" to a whole new level.

Went to a clothing store in the US with a friend to find that they had a huge sale on. She then spotted that a jacket she had purchased a week or two earlier was now reduced in price. She marched up to the till and told them how annoyed she was that her new jacket was now half the price she had paid ...... and they opened the till and gave her back half the original price without her even having either the jacket or the receipt with her. Banana Republic, Stanford Shopping Mall, CA - awesome customer service when faced with a very feisty young lady
    Originally posted by LilElvis
    My god. And you're proud of that.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 8th Oct 17, 6:14 PM
    • 9,502 Posts
    • 10,673 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    My god. And you're proud of that.
    Proud of what?
    It wasn't LilElvis that did anything, It was their friend.
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 8th Oct 17, 7:47 PM
    • 1,738 Posts
    • 2,133 Thanks
    Anoneemoose

Do you know what though, if you don't ask, you don't get.

As long as you know your rights (as in in this particular situation you have none), then there is no harm whatsoever in asking! When we asked Argos about the iPads we never actually thought they would and we knew we weren't entitled, but they were actually lovely and did the refund straightaway.

Our BIL never pays full price for anything, I don't think! Apart from maybe groceries because they do that online. But he always asks for a discount when eating out or shopping for clothes etc, and more often than not he gets it. I liken him to Del Boy sometimes..but it has served him well!
    Last edited by Anoneemoose; 08-10-2017 at 8:06 PM.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 8th Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    • 10,642 Posts
    • 22,151 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    Some stores do have a price promise that if it goes down or you could have bought it cheaper elsewhere etc.

http://www.shopperpoints.co.uk/2016/02/22/tesco-direct-refund-price-reduced/
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 8th Oct 17, 9:33 PM
    • 2,854 Posts
    • 3,854 Thanks
    George Michael
    The bottom line is that the OP now has a partial refund and is happy.
    The retailer in question has sold an item and made the partial refund as a sign of goodwill and although they gave some money back, I'm sure that they didn't make a loss so they are probably happy.

Because the OP is pleased with the exceptional service they received, they may well buy from the same retailer again and recommend them to others so that retailer may end up making more from extra sales than the money they refunded.

All in all, a win for everyone.
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 9th Oct 17, 8:29 AM
    • 669 Posts
    • 586 Thanks
    Sicard

Social skills perhaps.
    A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends.
    Baltasar Gracian
    • takman
    • By takman 9th Oct 17, 9:22 AM
    • 2,719 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    takman
    I agree that there is no issue with asking for the difference to be refunded to you and is keeping an eye on the price after buying items is a good thing to do so you have the opportunity to ask.

But the OP went in with completely the wrong attitude by sending it as a "complaint" and potentially planning to "argue the toss" with them about it. It should have been a polite and friendly email asking them if there is anything they can do. Sending it as a complaint is much less likely to get them anything at all and is very unreasonable.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

12Posts Today

4,285Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin