Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PLYSU
    • By PLYSU 6th Oct 17, 5:20 PM
    • 45Posts
    • 5Thanks
    PLYSU
    0 WOW
    If you withdraw cash from an ATM in Spain, you must read this!
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:20 PM
    0 WOW
    If you withdraw cash from an ATM in Spain, you must read this! 6th Oct 17 at 5:20 PM
    Hello.

Just to let people know about the situation in Spain with their banks and cards from the UK.

I took, Santander ZERO credit card, Halifax CLARITY credit card and Caxton FX pre loaded with 200 EURO.

If you use any of these cards at Banco Sabadell it will be 1.80 EURO charge to withdraw. BBVA charge any of these cards 1.87 EURO to withdraw. Santander charge 5.00 EURO per withdrawal. (but the Santander ZERO card was free)

So please be careful which bank you use to withdraw your cash.

Gracias mucho...........
Page 1
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 6th Oct 17, 7:45 PM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:45 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:45 PM
    We withdrew cash at Santander using both our Santander and Clarity Card and there was no charge.
    • PLYSU
    • By PLYSU 6th Oct 17, 8:08 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    PLYSU
    • 6th Oct 17, 8:08 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 8:08 PM
    Well I done it last night and with Clarity there was going to be a 5 EURO charge
    Last edited by PLYSU; 06-10-2017 at 8:11 PM. Reason: because I said there was a £5 charge. I meant EURO.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 7th Oct 17, 12:09 AM
    • 7,285 Posts
    • 9,015 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:09 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 12:09 AM
    Spanish banks have started their progression to Chile's "Shaft a foreigner" model of ATM banking.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 7th Oct 17, 6:58 AM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 7th Oct 17, 6:58 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 6:58 AM
    Well I done it last night and with Clarity there was going to be a 5 EURO charge
    Originally posted by PLYSU
    Obviously not all branches are charging, or maybe the charge varies in different parts of Spain.
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 7th Oct 17, 10:36 AM
    • 2,777 Posts
    • 1,721 Thanks
    bagand96
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:36 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:36 AM
    There was another thread on this forum running back in August:

Santander charging for withdrawals in Spain

Anecdotally it seems Euronet, Bankia and Popular bank are still free, with others charging various amounts up to Santander’s eye watering €5!
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 9th Oct 17, 1:58 PM
    • 8,807 Posts
    • 21,100 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    • 9th Oct 17, 1:58 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 1:58 PM
    Hi all

If anyone else reading this is heading abroad read our Travel Credit Cards guide first.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 9th Oct 17, 8:21 PM
    • 12,495 Posts
    • 10,496 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:21 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 8:21 PM
    Hi all

If anyone else reading this is heading abroad read our Travel Credit Cards guide first.
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    That doesn't help with the issue of charging ATMs, which this thread is about, or have I missed something?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,726Posts Today

7,218Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin