Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • J,M
    • By J,M 6th Oct 17, 5:15 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 3Thanks
    J,M
    Unwelcome tenant.
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:15 PM
    Unwelcome tenant. 6th Oct 17 at 5:15 PM
    Carried out all the recommended checks on our new tenant, passed with flying colours, but unbeknown to us we rented to a convicted sex offender who has done jail time. Never crossed our minds to ask if he had commited any offense, does anyone request that of potential tenants?

I am taking an awful lot of stick from my neighbours, some of whom have children, and naturally are extremely concerned. I have asked him to vacate but so far no response.

Can I or any authority come to that make him vacate?
Page 3
    • Jenniefour
    • By Jenniefour 7th Oct 17, 2:18 PM
    • 1,165 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    Jenniefour
    As someone who lived next door to a lovely lady who was labeled as such, had her car tires slashed, cars keyed and flaming bags of poop put on her doorstep, a fire set in her bin, stones thrown at her door....

because the local teens didn't know the difference between a '!!!!!' and pediatrician.......... so i'm also not a big fan of a witch hunt.
    Originally posted by Tygermoth
    All the more reason for the LL to be handling this extremely carefully, regardless of what the facts might/might not be - less risk of property being damaged.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 7th Oct 17, 2:39 PM
    • 9,750 Posts
    • 7,765 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    I'm used to hearing about 18yo guys with 17yo girls and ending up on the register. That's all. It's nothing to do with my thought processes.

And I know it's only 'alleged' but the OP sounds pretty sure of it. The rumours alone would be enough for me to want this tenant out immediately.
    Originally posted by ripplyuk
    16 is the age of consent in UK, but the above scenario could occur if the 18yo is in a position of trust to the 17yo as that would be an offence
    • sennypijama
    • By sennypijama 7th Oct 17, 2:43 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    sennypijama
    I'll just leave this here: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/nov/28/vigilante-lee-james-life-murdering-bijan-ebrahimi
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 7th Oct 17, 3:52 PM
    • 3,012 Posts
    • 3,109 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    I appreciate not wanting to live next to or rent to a sex offender (who has served his time, apparently), and sex crimes disgust me as much as the next person, but realistically (former) criminals of all stripes have to live somewhere and a tenancy is a business arrangement.

Making them homeless or giving them an unstable life by terminating tenancies as soon as such a history is discovered is not likely to help them rehabilitate. Much the opposite.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 7th Oct 17, 5:18 PM
    • 35,571 Posts
    • 45,794 Thanks
    McKneff
    Op still hasnt said how him and his neighbors know he is a convicted sex offender.

Some of you on here shoud be ashamed of yourselves, judging people willy nilly
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 7th Oct 17, 5:51 PM
    • 1,660 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    Is the urban myth true that someone who does a moony as a drunken prank can end up with a sex offence conviction? Probably an indecent exposure conviction.

Someone (forgot who sorry) above said something about most of us could have had some sort of conviction if all our actions and deeds were known. Probably right. But it depends what they have done. If kids sending each other pictures on smart phones were all included I bet the current generation of youngsters are much more likely to be offenders, if not convicted. Would a 15yr old lad and girl sharing pictures render themselves unsuitable as tenants 5 years later?

Much as I wouldn't like a tenant (or neighbour) with any criminal convictions, let alone a sex offender, the UK had about 80,000 sex offenders convicted last year. If you think how many in the last 10 or 20 years, then we probably all have one somewhere close to our home.

Course it could be a dreadful predator and everyone's worst nightmare, but they all move to North Wales I think. (awaits backlash)...
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 7th Oct 17, 5:53 PM
    • 2,706 Posts
    • 2,674 Thanks
    cjdavies
    If I have choice between the ops tenant of what they heard/claim and my last neighbour (her social circle) hanging around, i prefer OP.

I know going off topic, but another example of a pathetic sentence, should be life begins bars and no appeal of parole.
    Last edited by cjdavies; 07-10-2017 at 5:56 PM.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Oct 17, 5:58 PM
    • 13,659 Posts
    • 37,140 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention

Course it could be a dreadful predator and everyone's worst nightmare, but they all move to North Wales I think. (awaits backlash)...
    Originally posted by Mr.Generous
    You wouldnt be the author of "that" blog would you? That sounds like one of his theme tunes

EDIT; Whew! One quick google later and I see you mention you used to be a student (ie went to University). That's a relief - as he hasnt been to University ever.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 07-10-2017 at 6:07 PM.
    #MeToo
    • writer5
    • By writer5 7th Oct 17, 6:10 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    writer5
    As far as I'm aware you can't do a criminal record check on anybody anyway. So asking a potential tenant about criminal history they can just lie.

I would be very careful of labelling someone a sex offender without confirmed proof not just gossip.

If the neighbours have concerns they should raise them with local police who can check his background and make sure he is OK to live in that area.

Not all sex offenders are child abusers the offences covered by the legislation are wide and varied.
    Originally posted by lynz68
    True- you can't do a criminal records check, but what you can do is to put the name in Google and search news. Anything noteworthy will show up there.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 7th Oct 17, 6:26 PM
    • 23,337 Posts
    • 88,954 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Originally posted by Mr.Generous
    I would think North Wales is just about the last place in the UK they'd go, knowing how those in Welsh villages all know each other's business and take a strong interest in every new resident.

I think Dylan Thomas wrote something.....
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Oct 17, 6:55 PM
    • 13,659 Posts
    • 37,140 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Okay Dave - you can't leave that one hanging in the air.

What did Dylan Thomas write? You gotta quote it now....
    #MeToo
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 7th Oct 17, 7:45 PM
    • 9,750 Posts
    • 7,765 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    As Dylan Thomas came from Swansea he may have been biased against those from north of the country. Even though "Under Milk Wood" was understood to be set in Laugharne, West Wales, where Thomas lived, it was not very complimentary towards his fellow countrymen.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 7th Oct 17, 8:13 PM
    • 23,337 Posts
    • 88,954 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I always understood the origins of 'Under Milk Wood' to be an early morning walk in New Quay (Not Newquay!) but I was just referring to his play/ story/ poem / whatever as a parody of the way people in small towns and villages in Wales (and elsewhere) have an interest in each other and share gossip etc.

It wasn't meant to be mysterious or deep!
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Oct 17, 8:20 PM
    • 60,288 Posts
    • 352,255 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    You have to judge people on the situation. If he's a convicted sex offender then that is a different set of things to whether he'll look after the house and pay the rent on time.

It needs to be a business decision, not a knee-jerk one.

It'd not bother me if I had a sex offender neighbour - so long as he was "just" the quietly grooming sort ... and not the "breaks into random houses and ferrets them away to his cave" sort, which is a double layer of weird.

So, what sort is he ... and does he pay the rent on time.

They all have to live somewhere .... and most people don't know where. So long as he's not continuing his "ways" local to his home is it really of much more concern to you?

You need to strip the emotion out - it's business - then look at how good he is for your business. Get the facts, not the knee-jerk reactions.

Of course local parents don't wish their kids to live near a p43do ... but if they're parenting them then that's not an issue; they'll be seeing what they do/where they go. But their problem isn't your problem. Your problem is running a business, maintaining cashflow and covering your expenses/mortgage.

Let the law deal with his misdemeanours, however vile they are - do not be part of the lynching party just because "somebody said...."
    • jimbo747
    • By jimbo747 7th Oct 17, 10:54 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    jimbo747
    If it was that serious he'd still be in prison or have restrictions on where he can live. Would rather rent my house out to a bloke caught flashing his nob at people wanting to get his life back on track than a junkie or some benefits swindling Jeremy Kyle type.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 7th Oct 17, 11:13 PM
    • 1,660 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    If it was that serious he'd still be in prison or have restrictions on where he can live. Would rather rent my house out to a bloke caught flashing his nob at people wanting to get his life back on track than a junkie or some benefits swindling Jeremy Kyle type.
    Originally posted by jimbo747
    Well you certainly have a way with words. Most amusing, but I agree with the sentiment.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 7th Oct 17, 11:15 PM
    • 1,660 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    You wouldnt be the author of "that" blog would you? That sounds like one of his theme tunes

EDIT; Whew! One quick google later and I see you mention you used to be a student (ie went to University). That's a relief - as he hasnt been to University ever.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Based on my "huge" personal experience of doing 2 weeks jury service, we had 2 sex offender cases. Both had moved to North Wales when released from a sentence, then moved again a coule of years later and re-offended. It just looked like an odd co-incidence, as if upon release its the place to go.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

358Posts Today

2,778Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin