Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • J,M
    • By J,M 6th Oct 17, 5:15 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 3Thanks
    J,M
    Unwelcome tenant.
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:15 PM
    Unwelcome tenant. 6th Oct 17 at 5:15 PM
    Carried out all the recommended checks on our new tenant, passed with flying colours, but unbeknown to us we rented to a convicted sex offender who has done jail time. Never crossed our minds to ask if he had commited any offense, does anyone request that of potential tenants?

I am taking an awful lot of stick from my neighbours, some of whom have children, and naturally are extremely concerned. I have asked him to vacate but so far no response.

Can I or any authority come to that make him vacate?
Page 2
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 6th Oct 17, 7:33 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 2,333 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Do you mean statutory rape? In that case, I still would want him out. He's still a sex offender.
    Originally posted by ripplyuk
    No I didn't mean that. Consensual sex with a relative is a specific offence in the 2003 act.

Why do you assume that the other party is a minor? Something from your childhood? I think that says a lot about your thought processes that you equated it with sex with a minor.
    Last edited by unforeseen; 06-10-2017 at 7:37 PM.
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 6th Oct 17, 7:35 PM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 1,562 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    No I didn't mean that. Consensual sex with a relative is a specific offence in the 2003 act
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    Him having sex with his own sister? I don't like the thought of that either tbh!
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 6th Oct 17, 7:40 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 2,333 Thanks
    unforeseen
    BTW he is only an alleged member of the register.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 6th Oct 17, 7:43 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 2,333 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Him having sex with his own sister? I don't like the thought of that either tbh!
    We'll don't look too far back into your genealogy, it use to be quite common.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 6th Oct 17, 7:45 PM
    • 1,872 Posts
    • 5,125 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    We'll don't look too far back into your genealogy, it use to be quite common.
    No it didn't! Cousins maybe, not siblings!
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 6th Oct 17, 7:47 PM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 1,562 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    Why do you assume that the other party is a minor? Something from your childhood? I think that says a lot about your thought processes that you equated it with sex with a minor.
    I'm used to hearing about 18yo guys with 17yo girls and ending up on the register. That's all. It's nothing to do with my thought processes.

And I know it's only 'alleged' but the OP sounds pretty sure of it. The rumours alone would be enough for me to want this tenant out immediately.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 6th Oct 17, 8:02 PM
    • 13,904 Posts
    • 37,825 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I must be the only one who feels differently here. It's a sex offender! I'd want him out using whatever means necessary. And I wouldn't care which particular sex offence it is. The earlier post quotes 'simple voyeurism' as if it's something harmless.

OP, unfortunately if you've given this tenant a fixed term, I don't know of any (legal) means of removing him quickly. Since it's now local gossip, I would definitely make sure you have adequate home insurance.
    You're not the only one.

As a woman - I feel differently.

If I were a parent - I'd feel differently.

So - no I wouldnt want that person as a neighbour either.
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 6th Oct 17, 8:42 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 2,333 Thanks
    unforeseen
    No it didn't! Cousins maybe, not siblings!
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Ever been to Norfolk?
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 6th Oct 17, 9:02 PM
    • 2,786 Posts
    • 2,790 Thanks
    cjdavies
    I must be the only one who feels differently here. It's a sex offender! I'd want him out using whatever means necessary.
    The legal way.
    • Wanderingpomm
    • By Wanderingpomm 6th Oct 17, 9:02 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Wanderingpomm
    Consensual sex with your sister isn't rape unless she is under 16
    • Wanderingpomm
    • By Wanderingpomm 6th Oct 17, 9:06 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Wanderingpomm
    You have no legal option to evict him if he has a tenancy. And he has served his time and has been deemed to be no risk to the public. Give the poor guy a chance and stop being so paranoid
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 6th Oct 17, 10:44 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    leslieknope
    if he was a danger to children, isn't there a stipulation within their registration that they can't be within a certain distance of children? or have i watched too much tv?
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 7th Oct 17, 1:21 AM
    • 24,845 Posts
    • 306,473 Thanks
    davemorton
    To all, please accept the fact that he is a registered sex offender.

I,m off for a pint.
    Originally posted by J,M

Im a board guide on Pie Making Moneysaving. I'm a volunteer to help the pie production & consumption run smoothly. I can help merge tastes and fillings. Any pies made are mine & are not those of other Moneysavingexperts. Im a board guide not a qualified baker and as such do not make every type of pie. If you spot a quiche or flan please report it.
    • tealady
    • By tealady 7th Oct 17, 6:04 AM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 3,208 Thanks
    tealady
    Davemorton I LOVE your sig!
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 7th Oct 17, 6:59 AM
    • 473 Posts
    • 1,092 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    Ever been to Norfolk?
    *high 6*

Disclaimer: I am East Anglian
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 7th Oct 17, 7:09 AM
    • 23,526 Posts
    • 89,339 Thanks
    Davesnave
    There's nothing in the OP's history to suggest they're trolling. Maybe they're naive and didn't expect the sort of replies they received? Regardless of anything else, they're not terribly well-informed about their position as a landlord.

Judging by what I've been told in confidence by a surprising number of ladies, there's probably quite a lot in some 'ordinary' people's history that would have had them on the sex offender's register years ago, had they been reported. Most of it goes on within families, if we include close friends in that, and very little affects minors who are not already known to the perpetrators. School aged children would also rank among common offenders. However, society has regularly re-defined 'offences' in this context.

All that won't influence the attitude of the neighbours, of course.

Without knowing more about the tenancy, there's not much more to be said, except the point that's already been made: sex offenders have to live somewhere, so there's probably one near most of us..
    Last edited by Davesnave; 07-10-2017 at 7:14 AM.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 7th Oct 17, 7:47 AM
    • 16,054 Posts
    • 39,920 Thanks
    FBaby
    Another thread and another case of 'treat the tenancy as a business arrangement when it benefits the tenant, but show yourself to be a compassionate individual to a stranger when it doesn't'!

OP, it's very simple, if you've discovered that you don't like this person to be your tenant, whatever the reason -which for the matter of your business arrangement is irrelevant-, then give them notice when the tenancy comes to an end.

The neighbours don't get to pick who moves next to them, that's the law for any neighbours.

If you've agreed to a 6 months ast, which is standard to start with, then you can give notice at 4 months, so really, not that much time. If you've signed up to a 12 months ast, then you've made a mistake and you need to accept and learn from it.

Do be prepared though that he might not want to live. Against, that's the risk you take of being a LL. All you can do is a risk assessment at the beginning and decide how much risk you want to take for the return.

As others have said, there's sex offenders and sex offenders. Some men end up there foolishly because they decided to have a sexual relationship with a just under age girl they believe when they say they were 18. That doesn't make them more likely to attack the neighbours kids than some wierdo who hasn't yet been caught. You then need to decide whether your interests lay with a tenant who behaves perfectly as such, therefore supporting your investment, or with pleasing neighbours.
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 7th Oct 17, 8:13 AM
    • 6,822 Posts
    • 87,041 Thanks
    bossymoo
    *high 6*

Disclaimer: I am East Anglian
    Originally posted by RedFraggle
    Pahahaha

(Message too short)
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 7th Oct 17, 11:49 AM
    • 1,290 Posts
    • 2,614 Thanks
    Tygermoth
    As someone who lived next door to a lovely lady who was labeled as such, had her car tires slashed, cars keyed and flaming bags of poop put on her doorstep, a fire set in her bin, stones thrown at her door....

because the local teens didn't know the difference between a '!!!!!' and pediatrician.......... so i'm also not a big fan of a witch hunt.
    Last edited by Tygermoth; 07-10-2017 at 11:52 AM.
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
    • rosyw
    • By rosyw 7th Oct 17, 1:53 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 764 Thanks
    rosyw
    Ever been to Norfolk?
    Hey! Not my part of Norfolk! There is a particular area of Norfolk to which your comment may well apply, the fenland bit, they all wear double headed balaclavas and have webbed feet too!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

2,063Users online

Martin's Twitter