Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • J,M
    • By J,M 6th Oct 17, 5:15 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 3Thanks
    J,M
    Unwelcome tenant.
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:15 PM
    Unwelcome tenant. 6th Oct 17 at 5:15 PM
    Carried out all the recommended checks on our new tenant, passed with flying colours, but unbeknown to us we rented to a convicted sex offender who has done jail time. Never crossed our minds to ask if he had commited any offense, does anyone request that of potential tenants?

I am taking an awful lot of stick from my neighbours, some of whom have children, and naturally are extremely concerned. I have asked him to vacate but so far no response.

Can I or any authority come to that make him vacate?
Page 1
    • gycraig
    • By gycraig 6th Oct 17, 5:21 PM
    • 391 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    gycraig
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:21 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:21 PM
    If you haven't asked on original stage I'd imagine your stuck with him till at least end of tenancy
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 6th Oct 17, 5:28 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:28 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:28 PM
    Can I or any authority come to that make him vacate?
    Originally posted by J,M
    No.

This is something that you should have checked before assigning him a tenancy if you weren't willing to let to ex-criminals.
    • Lauraliz
    • By Lauraliz 6th Oct 17, 5:30 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Lauraliz
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:30 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:30 PM
    How are you sure he is a sex offender?

If he was a risk to children and as such he was on the register and under a local probation office he would not be allowed to live there. I used to work as part of a team who worked with offenders in general. There is a lot of work that goes on before and after release with these types of offender. They are not just released.

My first thought was that he had done his time does he not deserve a chance?
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 6th Oct 17, 5:35 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 1,248 Thanks
    seashore22
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:35 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:35 PM
    How did your neighbours find out?

How did you find out?

You say sex offender and then mention parents with children. Do you know that he is a child abuser? Not all sex offenders are a danger to children.

Not nice people maybe, but they have to live somewhere I guess and that somewhere appears to be in your property. No I don't think that there is anything you can do. They have as much right as anyone to enter into a rental agreement once they've served their sentence.
    • lynz68
    • By lynz68 6th Oct 17, 5:45 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    lynz68
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:45 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:45 PM
    As far as I'm aware you can't do a criminal record check on anybody anyway. So asking a potential tenant about criminal history they can just lie.

I would be very careful of labelling someone a sex offender without confirmed proof not just gossip.

If the neighbours have concerns they should raise them with local police who can check his background and make sure he is OK to live in that area.

Not all sex offenders are child abusers the offences covered by the legislation are wide and varied.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 6th Oct 17, 5:52 PM
    • 13,672 Posts
    • 37,157 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:52 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:52 PM
    Guess all you can do is tell the neighbours he's been given notice (which covers your back) that it's not your fault.

You may well find matters taken out of your hands anyway - with the neighbours knowing. I've certainly been told a couple of accounts of just what a neighbour said directly to the person concerned when they found out about having a sex offender move in nearby.......and they weren't offering them a cup of coffee in the event.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 06-10-2017 at 5:58 PM.
    #MeToo
    • Jenniefour
    • By Jenniefour 6th Oct 17, 6:08 PM
    • 1,167 Posts
    • 1,148 Thanks
    Jenniefour
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:08 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:08 PM
    There's a sex offender living near most of us, but we just don't know it.

How did the parents find out? How did you find out? And do you know for a fact that his offences involved children? As Lauraliz has said great is taken when child sex offenders are released.

I would also be taking great care who I was passing this information on to as well as careless gossip in the past has led to people being attacked, including those who do not have a criminal record at all.
    • J,M
    • By J,M 6th Oct 17, 6:09 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    J,M
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:09 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:09 PM
    To all, please accept the fact that he is a registered sex offender.

I,m off for a pint.
    Last edited by J,M; 06-10-2017 at 6:12 PM.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 6th Oct 17, 6:13 PM
    • 41,478 Posts
    • 47,872 Thanks
    G_M
    What kind o tenancy did you agree with him? Is it a contractual periodic, or a fixed term?

If periodic, how long is each period?
    If fixed term, when does it expire, and is there a Break Clause?

The answers to these questions will determine when you can end the tenancy.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 6th Oct 17, 6:16 PM
    • 15,169 Posts
    • 38,024 Thanks
    elsien
    Who will be told about my offence(s)?
    In general, the decision to disclose will be made on a case by case basis, either by the police (from the Public Protection Unit) or by your probation officer if you are on licence. If you are under MAPPA, any other agencies involved in the assessment of your risk may also be involved in any decision to disclose.
    Any decision to disclose will be based on a proper risk assessment, which should take into account the potential consequences of disclosure to you and your family. The reason for providing information about you to others must be based on your risk of sexual harm to the public or to particular individuals. For example, if you have a conviction for adult rape and you live in shared accommodation, the police may inform your housemates of your conviction if they feel that you present a risk.
    Child Sex Offender Disclosure Scheme (Sarah’s Law)
    The Child Sex Offender Disclosure Scheme was rolled out across England and Wales in 2011. This allows anyone concerned about a child to formally ask the police if someone with access to a child has a record for child sexual offences. Criminal record checks are carried out on the applicant. Following a full risk assessment, the police will reveal details, in person, to the person most able to protect the child (usually parents, carers or guardians) if they think it is in the child’s interests. The person who is told is not allowed to tell anybody else.

So is your information from a reliable source, should they be sharing it or has someone put two and two together and come up with 26?

On what grounds have you asked him to vacate? Is there a legal basis for doing so, because if it's just because you don't want him there he's probably not answered because he's checking out his options and drafting a reply pointing out that you may have no legal way to terminate the tenancy at this point.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 6th Oct 17, 6:38 PM
    • 1,749 Posts
    • 4,737 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel

I,m off for a pint.
    Originally posted by J,M
    Sorry, why should we? If you know through legitimate, innocent means such as his crimes being in the local press or a victim being someone you know personally, then why would you have a problem telling us that?

If you know through gossip or underhand means, the information isn't so reliable and the advice maybe different.
    • lewishardwick
    • By lewishardwick 6th Oct 17, 6:46 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    lewishardwick
    I think OP was hoping for something more along the lines of:

Sadly what they got were pragmatic people. Sex Offenders have a right to a home....
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 6th Oct 17, 6:47 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 1,248 Thanks
    seashore22

I,m off for a pint.
    Originally posted by J,M
    Yeah, sure we will.

My attitude to forums is healthy scepticism. We don't know you from Adam and have no obligation to believe anything you say.

Not to mention the fact that the sex offenders register has a huge spectrum of offenders listed on it. Some I would worry about, others not so much.

I don't like child abusers or rapists, but I don't like witch hunts either.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 6th Oct 17, 6:51 PM
    • 1,766 Posts
    • 2,205 Thanks
    unforeseen
    You do realise that the range of offences to get on that register is quite wide? If he is on the register, only hearsay so far, then he could be on it for something that was originally included in the 97 act but removed from the 2003 act. Removal in that situation is up to the person to apply.

Simple voyeurism can get you on there

OP you have absolutely no evidence. Only scuttlebut. I suggest you do nothing unless/until you get positive proof and even then there is very little you can do apart from issue a S21.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 6th Oct 17, 6:52 PM
    • 2,710 Posts
    • 2,691 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Originally posted by J,M
    To yourself, please accept you have given him a fixed term of 6 or 12 months and cannot be gone before then, as a landlord you should know this already ans cannot simply ask to leave tut tut.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 6th Oct 17, 7:01 PM
    • 41,478 Posts
    • 47,872 Thanks
    G_M
    To yourself, please accept you have given him a fixed term of 6 or 12 months and cannot be gone before then, as a landlord you should know this already ans cannot simply ask to leave tut tut.
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    To be fair, we don't know that. OP may have granted a 3 month fixed term. Or a Contractual Periodic. Or whatever.

But as he's gone down the pub rather than answer the relevant questions (because he didn't get the immediate positive replies he wanted?), we don't know so can't advise.

Just hope he IS down the pub and not harassing a paediatrician........
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 6th Oct 17, 7:20 PM
    • 1,643 Posts
    • 1,551 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    I must be the only one who feels differently here. It's a sex offender! I'd want him out using whatever means necessary. And I wouldn't care which particular sex offence it is. The earlier post quotes 'simple voyeurism' as if it's something harmless.

OP, unfortunately if you've given this tenant a fixed term, I don't know of any (legal) means of removing him quickly. Since it's now local gossip, I would definitely make sure you have adequate home insurance.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 6th Oct 17, 7:28 PM
    • 1,766 Posts
    • 2,205 Thanks
    unforeseen
    I must be the only one who feels differently here. It's a sex offender! I'd want him out using whatever means necessary. And I wouldn't care which particular sex offence it is. The earlier post quotes 'simple voyeurism' as if it's something harmless.
    Originally posted by ripplyuk
    Fair enough. How about consensual sex with your sister? Will probably get you on the register for longer than voyeurism. It doesn't affect anybody else. The chances of going on to bigger and better sexual offences is nil.
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 6th Oct 17, 7:30 PM
    • 1,643 Posts
    • 1,551 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    Fair enough. How about consensual sex with your sister? Doesn't affect anybody else. The chances of going on to bigger and better sexual offences is nil.
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    Do you mean statutory rape? In that case, I still would want him out. He's still a sex offender.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

671Posts Today

6,001Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin