Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jackamo25
    • By Jackamo25 6th Oct 17, 4:58 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jackamo25
    Moving Debt to reduce interest
    • 6th Oct 17, 4:58 PM
    Moving Debt to reduce interest 6th Oct 17 at 4:58 PM
    Hi there,

I recently got a car with a hire purchase agreement from Motonovo. The APR and interest is around 25% of the loan. Quite high, but I lost out badly on my previous car having owned it for 8 months and it then being written off! So I felt I had no choice but to take on a expensive loan.

I've always had fairly poor credit rating and have one delinquent account 4 years ago on my name. I want to get a better loan so I can cut down on the interest as it is giving me anxiety knowing that a quarter of my monthly payment is interest!

In short, I'd like to get a bank loan to pay off the agreement and then I can own my car outright and the new debt will have lower APR etc. than the initial HP agreement. The problem is no lenders are offering me anything sensible. 35%-50% APR

Any advice? Just sit it out? Take out smaller loans?

All would be gratefully received!

Page 1
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 6th Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    • 9,835 Posts
    • 51,617 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    You need to be careful, when paying off HP early.

You could find yourself paying extra, on top of the outstanding amount.

You should investigate thoroughly, before committing to early settlement.
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,500Posts Today

6,166Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin