Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kdevans
    • By kdevans 6th Oct 17, 4:42 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    kdevans
    Good news (for a change)
    • 6th Oct 17, 4:42 PM
    Good news (for a change) 6th Oct 17 at 4:42 PM
    Hi
    Thought Id share my good news with everyone.

I don't know if this has happened to anyone else yet, but I received a letter this week saying as I've hit the magical age of 50 and its been 25 years since I left university - my student loans have been written off.
    I had one of the very first student loans available and never earned enough money to repay a single penny.
    Now that's how student loans are supposed to work I think.
Page 1
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 6th Oct 17, 4:58 PM
    • 2,043 Posts
    • 1,102 Thanks
    Ed-1
    • 6th Oct 17, 4:58 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 4:58 PM
    Hi

I don't know if this has happened to anyone else yet, but I received a letter this week saying as I've hit the magical age of 50 and its been 25 years since I left university - my student loans have been written off.
    I had one of the very first student loans available and never earned enough money to repay a single penny.
    Originally posted by kdevans
    Who was your loan owner (e.g. Honours Student Loans etc.)?
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 6th Oct 17, 6:34 PM
    • 1,936 Posts
    • 2,444 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:34 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:34 PM
    “ Hi

If you've always been content to take low paid jobs, what on earth was the point in going to University?
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 6th Oct 17, 6:36 PM
    • 1,862 Posts
    • 3,850 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:36 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:36 PM
    That's pretty miserable news!
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 7th Oct 17, 10:37 AM
    • 11,723 Posts
    • 7,940 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:37 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 10:37 AM
    If you've always been content to take low paid jobs, what on earth was the point in going to University?
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    A university degree gives one the intellectual interests and strength of character that enable one to be happy without the money that it disqualifes one from earning.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 7th Oct 17, 11:59 AM
    • 1,936 Posts
    • 2,444 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:59 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 11:59 AM
    “ If you've always been content to take low paid jobs, what on earth was the point in going to University?
    A university degree gives one the intellectual interests and strength of character that enable one to be happy without the money that it disqualifes one from earning. Posted by Voyager2002
    Fine - but not when you expect the poor old taxpayer to pay for your self indulgence!
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 8th Oct 17, 12:45 AM
    • 11,723 Posts
    • 7,940 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 8th Oct 17, 12:45 AM
    • 8th Oct 17, 12:45 AM
    Fine - but not when you expect the poor old taxpayer to pay for your self indulgence!
    Not quite self indulgence: educated people are generally far better parents, and better citizens. In particular, graduates vote very differently from non-graduates and so the entire country benefits from a better choice of leadership.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,040Posts Today

6,366Users online

Martin's Twitter