Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mark1945
    • By Mark1945 6th Oct 17, 4:09 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mark1945
    Entitlment To Contribution Based ESA?
    • 6th Oct 17, 4:09 PM
    Entitlment To Contribution Based ESA? 6th Oct 17 at 4:09 PM
    Hi

My wife has received carers allowance for many years looking after our autistic son, before that she worked as a nurse for about 15 years. Now due to her failing health, she now receives PIP enhanced care/mobility.

She and I are not entitled to any benefit that is means tested.

Recently at a meeting at our local CAB office, the advisor asked if my wife had claimed ESA. I am not sure if my wife would be entitled to Contribution Based ESA or Income-related ESA as she is unable to work. But if she was entitled the advisor was unsure if the pension credit my wife gets via carers allowance would entitle her to Contribution Based ESA which is not means tested?

Plus would claiming for ESA and if then entitled getting it, affect her PIP/Carers allowance?

Unsure what to do!

Thanks in advance for any help.
Page 1
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 6th Oct 17, 4:18 PM
    • 16,986 Posts
    • 25,974 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    • 6th Oct 17, 4:18 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 4:18 PM
    Hi

My wife has received carers allowance for many years looking after our autistic son, before that she worked as a nurse for about 15 years. Now due to her failing health, she now receives PIP enhanced care/mobility.

She and I are not entitled to any benefit that is means tested.

Recently at a meeting at our local CAB office, the advisor asked if my wife had claimed ESA. I am not sure if my wife would be entitled to Contribution Based ESA or Income-related ESA as she is unable to work. But if she was entitled the advisor was unsure if the pension credit my wife gets via carers allowance would entitle her to Contribution Based ESA which is not means tested?

Plus would claiming for ESA and if then entitled getting it, affect her PIP/Carers allowance?

Unsure what to do!

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Originally posted by Mark1945
    She won't be entitled to contribution ESA as she hasn't been working and paying NI. It wouldn't have made any real difference anyway as both ESA and carers allowance can't be paid together.

PIP would be unaffected
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 6th Oct 17, 4:35 PM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 1,599 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 6th Oct 17, 4:35 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 4:35 PM
    Is your wife over State Pension Age?
    If so this rules her out for ESA.
    https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/eligibility

The receipt of Pension Credit would not bring an entitlement to CB ESA.
    CB ESA is assessed on NI paid in the 2 tax years previous to claiming.
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/employment-and-support-allowance-contribution-based

These conditions can be relaxed in certain circumstances where a carer has paid NI contributions immediately before taking on caring responsibilities.

ESA would not affect her PIP, but it would affect her CA and any Pension Credit she is receiving.
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 6th Oct 17, 4:40 PM
    • 16,986 Posts
    • 25,974 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    • 6th Oct 17, 4:40 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 4:40 PM
    Is your wife over State Pension Age?
    If so this rules her out for ESA.
    https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/eligibility

The receipt of Pension Credit would not bring an entitlement to CB ESA.
    CB ESA is assessed on NI paid in the 2 tax years previous to claiming.
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/employment-and-support-allowance-contribution-based

These conditions can be relaxed in certain circumstances where a carer has paid NI contributions immediately before taking on caring responsibilities.

ESA would not affect her PIP, but it would affect her CA and any Pension Credit she is receiving.
    Originally posted by Alice Holt
    I read it not that she is receiving pension credit but that she receives her NI credits towards her state pension
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 6th Oct 17, 5:18 PM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 1,599 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:18 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:18 PM
    I read it not that she is receiving pension credit but that she receives her NI credits towards her state pension
    Originally posted by Torry Quine
    Ah yes . Thanks.
    • Mark1945
    • By Mark1945 6th Oct 17, 5:29 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mark1945
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:29 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:29 PM
    Yes, when she started on carers allowance we were told her state pension would be safe as she would receive NI credits towards her state pension.

Wife not state pension age.

Thanks
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 6th Oct 17, 6:18 PM
    • 3,755 Posts
    • 2,764 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:18 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 6:18 PM
    Carers credit only gives NI credit for State Pension.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

12Posts Today

4,285Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin