Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MWhite
    • By MWhite 6th Oct 17, 3:06 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MWhite
    Welsh water credit report
    • 6th Oct 17, 3:06 PM
    Welsh water credit report 6th Oct 17 at 3:06 PM
    Out of the blue i have been told by Welsh Water that credit report is effected negatively when you dont pay the entire annual bill in April and even though i pay by direct debit and on time never missed a payment- is this true!!
Page 1
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 6th Oct 17, 7:04 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:04 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:04 PM
    Shouldn’t think so. I pay mine monthly by dd and Experian gave me 999, a gold star and told me I could have all the credit I desired.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • tenchy
    • By tenchy 6th Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    tenchy
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    Out of the blue i have been told by Welsh Water that credit report is effected negatively when you dont pay the entire annual bill in April and even though i pay by direct debit and on time never missed a payment- is this true!!
    Originally posted by MWhite

One approach here would be to ask Welsh Water on what basis they are sending your account details to the CRAs at all. You will not have consented to them doing so (there are no terms and conditions on domestic water supplies), so it seems reasonable that you could tell them to stop.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 6th Oct 17, 9:18 PM
    • 2,349 Posts
    • 3,459 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 6th Oct 17, 9:18 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 9:18 PM
    It reports the outstanding balance decreasing each month with green ticks for every month it's paid on time.

This page tells you how they use and share information
    http://www.dwrcymru.com/en/Company-Information/Data-Protection.aspx

ETA - They report to Experian so if you sign up to MSE Credit Club you will be able to see what exactly is recorded on your report.
    Last edited by Dobbibill; 06-10-2017 at 9:19 PM. Reason: additional info
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.
    • MWhite
    • By MWhite 6th Oct 17, 10:13 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MWhite
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:13 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:13 PM
    It doesnt explicitly state that if you don't pay in full it will negatively impact score just if you ae in debt. Which im not as i pay on time every month
    • MWhite
    • By MWhite 6th Oct 17, 10:18 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MWhite
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:18 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:18 PM
    Unfortunately they do not need consent however i shouldnt have to worry cause im not in debt however it has negatively impacted my score although i have never been in debt , i have started proceeding to get tgis resolved:

"Welsh Water and Experian comply with the Data Protection Act 1998 at all times. The sharing of your information with Credit Reference Agencies does not require your consent. Data is shared to help Welsh Water to collect debt. It also helps other organisations in the scheme to prevent bad or unpaid debt, prevent fraud and money laundering and to promote responsible lending"
    • tenchy
    • By tenchy 6th Oct 17, 11:52 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    tenchy
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:52 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:52 PM
    It reports the outstanding balance decreasing each month with green ticks for every month it's paid on time.

This page tells you how they use and share information
    http://www.dwrcymru.com/en/Company-Information/Data-Protection.aspx

ETA - They report to Experian so if you sign up to MSE Credit Club you will be able to see what exactly is recorded on your report.
    Originally posted by Dobbibill
    It is an interesting document, which I expect is replicated at all the other water companies. It confirms what I suspected, that these companies don't even need consent to carry out hard searches. This rather drives a coach and horses through the whole idea of consent, which is often mentioned by the CRAs. They pride themselves on a system whereby you must give your consent - except it seems you don't have to. It is quite extraordinary.
    • Car1980
    • By Car1980 7th Oct 17, 9:10 AM
    • 213 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    Car1980
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:10 AM
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:10 AM
    Nobody pays their water bill in one go once a year. Don’t worry
    • tenchy
    • By tenchy 7th Oct 17, 4:18 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    tenchy
    • 7th Oct 17, 4:18 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 4:18 PM
    Yes but... if a £1000 debt appears on your report in April and you're applying for a mortgage what might the BS make of it? You know they're bending over backwards these days to refuse mortgages, so this sort of thing could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.
    • Lucky Duck
    • By Lucky Duck 8th Oct 17, 7:16 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Lucky Duck
    It is an interesting document, which I expect is replicated at all the other water companies. It confirms what I suspected, that these companies don't even need consent to carry out hard searches. This rather drives a coach and horses through the whole idea of consent, which is often mentioned by the CRAs. They pride themselves on a system whereby you must give your consent - except it seems you don't have to. It is quite extraordinary.
    Originally posted by tenchy
    Anglian water started reporting to CRAs a couple of years back
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 11th Oct 17, 8:13 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    cjmillsnun
    Originally posted by MWhite
    No, it's rubbish. Regular payments made to a normal direct debit plan should not adversely affect your credit file

Shouldn’t think so. I pay mine monthly by dd and Experian gave me 999, a gold star and told me I could have all the credit I desired.
    Originally posted by Shakin Steve
    But the score is something that lenders never see. Only you and experian see it.
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 11th Oct 17, 9:45 PM
    • 1,276 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    boo_star
    Yes but... if a £1000 debt appears on your report in April and you're applying for a mortgage what might the BS make of it? You know they're bending over backwards these days to refuse mortgages, so this sort of thing could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.
    Originally posted by tenchy
    They can see the type of debt and they’ll have seen this over and over again so I doubt it will make any difference, especially if all the water companies are doing the same.

I don’t think this should be reported in the way it is though.
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 12th Oct 17, 10:18 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    Anglian water started reporting to CRAs a couple of years back
    Originally posted by Lucky Duck

Indeed they do and are happy to go for a CCJ if you don't agree with there bills.

Received a CCJ as they said id used a huge amount of water (huge as in 10 times the average) and said must be a leak,no no thats impossible and you better pay up.

Sadly as not a lottery winner that wasn't possible and they got the CCJ...then they found the leak,wiped bill and paid out reasonable amount in compensation but refuse to get rid of the ccj.
    • tenchy
    • By tenchy 12th Oct 17, 2:29 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    tenchy
    Indeed they do and are happy to go for a CCJ if you don't agree with there bills.

Received a CCJ as they said id used a huge amount of water (huge as in 10 times the average) and said must be a leak,no no thats impossible and you better pay up.

Sadly as not a lottery winner that wasn't possible and they got the CCJ...then they found the leak,wiped bill and paid out reasonable amount in compensation but refuse to get rid of the ccj.
    Originally posted by Samsung_Note2
    Solicitor your next port of call, or maybe the Information Commissioner?
    • MWhite
    • By MWhite 13th Oct 17, 9:11 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MWhite
    An update - i made a formal complaint regarding welsh water and their response to the credit agency in which they stated although i was not in debt with them it still would negatively impact my score even though i pay on time every month and if i wanted it changed i would have to pay the whole amount which i know is completely inaccurate. I have now recieved an email from welsh water stating that this should not be the case and even though i pay with DD it should not negatively impact my score i told them they need to sort this out themselves with experian... so still waiting for final outcome. Its disgusting ive never be in debt and this has happened im soo annoyed as this isnt just bad customer service from ww its affecting my financial opportunities.. and they got a cheek to send me a text asking to rate them and how much i would recommend to someone else.. bearing in mind where i live there is no other water company to go with haha next update will be provided
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,648Posts Today

8,399Users online

Martin's Twitter