Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doddie79
    • By doddie79 6th Oct 17, 2:40 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 2Thanks
    doddie79
    NPE Parking Charge for 4 minutes
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:40 PM
    NPE Parking Charge for 4 minutes 6th Oct 17 at 2:40 PM
    I have received a PCN from NPE for a period of parking totalling 4 minutes.

I have read the main post about how to respond to IPC accredited companies and am about to send the Template appeal for IPC members as appeal.

My query though is if, as keeper of the vehicle, I should add anything to my appeal with regards to the 4 minute stay. The IPC regs state that:

"15.1 Drivers should be allowed a sufficient amount of time to park and read any signs so they may make an informed decision as to whether or not to remain on the site."

Now I'm sure the "sufficient" period of time is open to debate but is less than 5 minutes reasonable? I would contend that 4 minutes to park up, read signs, check if sufficient funds are in a wallet and decide to leave if said funds aren't available would be a very minimum grace period.

Should I add something to this effect in my appeal and how should I do it so as not to trip myself up, so to speak!
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Oct 17, 2:47 PM
    • 33,044 Posts
    • 17,007 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:47 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:47 PM
    The futility of appealing to ipc companies is explained in the newbies faq thread

So don't fret over changing the template (it's designed so that should it come to court you can show a judge you didn't ignore the "invoice")
    • Redx
    • By Redx 6th Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    • 16,110 Posts
    • 20,176 Thanks
    Redx
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    IF the pcn is an NTK, then yes you could add a top line stating that the NTK states a 4 minute stay and quoting the IPC rule about this, also adding that should further appeals be necessary or if court proceedings were to follow follow it will be one of the main defence points

the main issue is not to reveal who was driving , so make sure any additions do not give that detail away

frankly, its a good point to make and so advantage should be taken regarding it

my personal belief is that "up to 10 minutes" is reasonable to check signage and to leave , so less than 5 minutes should definitely qualify
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 6th Oct 17, 3:04 PM
    • 7,181 Posts
    • 6,229 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 6th Oct 17, 3:04 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 3:04 PM
    I was in in Morrisons car park in Reading yesterday where Parking Eye have the contract.

The sign was seven feet up and the T&C , in very small lettering, was extremely detailed running into seven or eight lines.

Had I bothered to read it, (if I could), I am sure that it would have taken me a lot more than four minutes.

This is clearly an unreasonable penalty. Personally I would appeal in the hope that the IPC (unreasonably) reject it. I would then challenge them to take me to court where I would fancy my chances.
    Last edited by The Deep; 06-10-2017 at 3:14 PM.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • doddie79
    • By doddie79 6th Oct 17, 3:05 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    doddie79
    • 6th Oct 17, 3:05 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 3:05 PM
    The PCN is NTK so I was thinking something along the lines of

"...so that I can make an informed decision:

1. The NTK indicates a 4 minute stay was made. Please inform me, as an accredited operator of the IPC and as per section 15 of The IPC Code of Practice, the precise amount of time you provide for drivers to park and read any signs so they may make an informed decision as to whether or not to remain on the site. Should further appeals be necessary or if court proceedings were to follow it will be one of the main defence points.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 6th Oct 17, 3:11 PM
    • 16,110 Posts
    • 20,176 Thanks
    Redx
    • 6th Oct 17, 3:11 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 3:11 PM
    seems ok to my laymans eyes , and a reasonable request too

there are a few (very few) times that we tell people to appeal to the IAS, but an appeal based on 4 minutes such as this one might prove interesting , plus whatever skippy says if he refuses said appeal

I am sure that a judge would accept 4 minutes to be on site as acceptable to decide to either STAY or GO
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Goodlife17
    • By Goodlife17 22nd Oct 17, 12:21 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Goodlife17
    • 22nd Oct 17, 12:21 AM
    • 22nd Oct 17, 12:21 AM
    I have received a NPE parking charge at Earlham Green (East of England Co-op) Norwich.
    Reason for issue is Parked in a child and parent bay whilst unaccompanied by a child 12 years or less.
    Time was at 19:25 and 19:26, 2 October 2017.
    I have two kids; 4 year old and 6 year old. Only younger one, 4 year old was slept in side (rear) of the car at that time.
    I've revisited the Earlham Green Co-op and the notice can't see at night and the camera has installed too high - none can see it in the late evening.

It seems so notorious as I've seen many people's complaints that are not fair.
    It seems an appealing against NPE is very stressful and doesn't work.
    That makes me really disgusting. It's a stinky scam!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,334Posts Today

7,288Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin