Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • donglefan
    • By donglefan 6th Oct 17, 2:29 PM
    • 277Posts
    • 63Thanks
    donglefan
    is it fair to have to pay for a plumber's quote?
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:29 PM
    is it fair to have to pay for a plumber's quote? 6th Oct 17 at 2:29 PM
    moved to other section
    Last edited by donglefan; 06-10-2017 at 2:35 PM. Reason: put it in a different section about quotes
Page 1
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 6th Oct 17, 2:37 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 1,201 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:37 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:37 PM
    Imho it's reasonable, his time isn't free. It's best to ask in advance if a quote/diagnosis will be chargeable.
    • betsie
    • By betsie 6th Oct 17, 10:29 PM
    • 307 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    betsie
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:29 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:29 PM
    My husband has been a plumber for 25 yrs. he has never charged anyone to go and estimate a job. It's just part of the business.
    If you can try and use a plumber recommended by a friend or relative.
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 6th Oct 17, 10:48 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:48 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 10:48 PM
    I wouldn’t expect to pay for a quote for a new boiler say but to get someone to look at a fault and then say your going with someone else because they are cheaper, I think it’s reasonable to pay a diagnostic fee.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

1,542Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin