Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • suchgreatheights
    • By suchgreatheights 6th Oct 17, 2:15 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 22Thanks
    suchgreatheights
    Ripped off by Flood Re Scheme
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:15 PM
    Ripped off by Flood Re Scheme 6th Oct 17 at 2:15 PM
    Anyone else been affected by this?

My home insurance renewal quote rocketed by more than 300%.

When I rang to enquire I was told it was because the insurer (Allianz) had opted in to the Flood Re Scheme and that the renewal quote was therefore non-negotiable.

According to their literature, "Flood Re is a joint government and insurance industry initiative to enable you to find affordable insurance for qualifying properties that are at risk of flooding."

In my case it seems to have had the opposite effect.

My house is in a flood risk area and a scheme specifically designed to make insurance more affordable for me has tripled my premium.

Needless to say I have switched to a new provider.
    Last edited by suchgreatheights; 06-10-2017 at 2:32 PM.
Page 1
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 6th Oct 17, 2:24 PM
    • 916 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:24 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:24 PM
    If you don't like the price you've been quoted, shop around and move for a cheaper premium (assuming you can find one).
    • Liz Mitchell
    • By Liz Mitchell 7th Oct 17, 7:14 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Liz Mitchell
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:14 AM
    How Flood Re works - this may explain things!
    • 7th Oct 17, 7:14 AM
    I don't think that you can blame Flood Re here, it may be useful for you to better understand how the Flood Re scheme works.

The decision to include your risk in the Flood Re scheme was made by Allianz (they don't have to include you in Flood Re!) but it is likely they have because they view you as too high a flood risk to want to cover you for flooding themselves. Your insurance premium will be made up of 2 parts a fixed price for flood cover which is based on your council tax band and the price that Allianz set for covering other risks such as theft, fire etc. It could well be the Flood Re levy that has increased your premium but it could be increases to Allianz's pricing for other risks that have increased your costs too
    Take a look at the Flood Assist Insurance website they have a guide called Flood Re for Dummies which gives a good explanation of how Flood Re works
    Hope this helps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

163Posts Today

1,965Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin