Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • billymadbiker
    • By billymadbiker 6th Oct 17, 2:13 PM
    • 206Posts
    • 28Thanks
    billymadbiker
    Do I need to use my Credit Cards more?
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:13 PM
    Do I need to use my Credit Cards more? 6th Oct 17 at 2:13 PM
    Hi,
    Thinking of applying for a mortgage in the next couple of years.

My credit file shows 4 x credit accounts,
    My bank account, A cc with the same bank, a barcaly card cc and my mobile phone contract.

They all show as £0 balance, full set of green markers for the last 6yrs+
    (The bank CC shows as a -£1 as the card is in 'credit' I presume this is not a problem?)

I hardly ever use the cards (Limits of £2k and £12k) and never use the O/D (£1.5k) on the bank account.

Phone bill is around £35 p/m, all payments made on time.

Do I need to do anything else to help my chances?
    Should I start using the cards for fuel or something and pay off in full each month?
    Will I get extra points for this or would I be better off closing them or lowering the credit limits on them?

Thanks!
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 6th Oct 17, 2:15 PM
    • 13,683 Posts
    • 14,148 Thanks
    zx81
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:15 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:15 PM
    Using your cards, and clearing in full each month, is the easiest and cheapest way of demonstrating solid credit history.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,796Posts Today

7,708Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin