Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • EllieJay2019
    • By EllieJay2019 6th Oct 17, 2:09 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    EllieJay2019
    HMRC demand for a missed payment 5 years later!
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:09 PM
    HMRC demand for a missed payment 5 years later! 6th Oct 17 at 2:09 PM
    Hi
    So today both me and my husband received letters from HMRC stating that we were overdue with our payment plan by £29.28 and we need to bring this up to date in line with our payment plan contract or face outside debt collection collection enforcement.
    We don't have a payment plan!!
    I called them to ask for clarification to be informed that we had a payment plan in 2011 for tax credits overpayment in 2010 (yes we did) but the payments had stopped in 2013 (yes they did). We didn't cancel the plan and assumed that repayments had been made and have had no correspondence since then (and no tax credits payments as I was working full time). According the the advisor, the direct debit was cancelled (not by us and apparently not by them either) and that we still owed over £2000. I asked why it had taken over 5 years to send a letter advising us that we were behind with payments (no idea where the £29.28 came from as we had been repaying at £50 a month).
    We have recently submitted a new claim for tax credits as I am no longer employed as I am a full time student, which may have triggered the 'reminder letter'.
    We have been paying off debt over the past 5 years and we are almost debt free so this has come as a real blow to us. I have set up a new payment plan of £30 a month with them as I don't want to be landed with a huge bill for £2000 as we simply do not have the money to pay that. However, I am wondering why it has taken so long to contact us - it seems odd that they haven't made any attempt to chase this up before. usually if a payment is not made to a company then they are on it within days - not 5 years later!
    I have a login to HMRC to check on things like tax credits and tax payments etc and no where on this does it have details of an outstanding overpayment and nor was this mentioned when I submitted a new claim.
    Can anyone advise the correct course of action as it seems a bit odd that this has suddenly materialised in a way that is remiss of a single late payment. Had they simply 'forgotten' about it until now?? We are not trying to avoid payment - we are keen to pay off all our debt and have been for 5 years or so, nor am I disputing that I perhaps should have clarified the overpayment was repaid and not made an assumption - however, it seems very unfair as no other company could do this after such a long period of time.
    Thank you
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 6th Oct 17, 2:15 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 3,837 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:15 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:15 PM
    It has not been forgotten, it's just that they don't have the staff to actively pursue every single debt.

Were you not keeping track of your repayments at the time, did you not query why the DD stopped when you still had outstanding debt?

Your frustration is misdirected, you failed to follow up when you should have known you still owed money. You have one person's finances to manage, they have millions to deal with.

You should do as you are doing, set up a repayment plan. This time you need to keep a track of things yourself and query if something goes amiss.
    • EllieJay2019
    • By EllieJay2019 6th Oct 17, 2:58 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    EllieJay2019
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:58 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:58 PM
    You are right! I absolutely should have kept on top of checking our repayments - for that there is no excuse! As I said, we have been paying off quite a lot of debt and we had a significant amount of money going out on repayment plans so when they ended we simply moved on in prioritising what got paid next and failed to notice that one may not have been completed!
    I guess what I was asking (in a long winded way) was; is setting up the repayment enough - I am concerned that if it has taken this long to send a reminder then maybe it might take a while to figure out it isn't enough and then we really will be in trouble - you have answered that - thank you! I am not frustrated in receiving the letter - I was simple a little anxious that I had done the right thing and also that this was not an unusual scenario from HMRC.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,982Posts Today

7,361Users online

Martin's Twitter