Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Butts
    • By Butts 6th Oct 17, 1:54 PM
    • 143Posts
    • 46Thanks
    Butts
    NT Tax Code - What are the Criteria Applied ?
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:54 PM
    NT Tax Code - What are the Criteria Applied ? 6th Oct 17 at 1:54 PM
    In the Government Guidelines it states that you will be issued with an NT Code and any tax payable or refunds due will go to the OR for the remainder of the Tax Year you go Bankrupt.

However in my Interview I was told the OR would not be seeking to implement this measure.

I am earning a low wage and paying only about an average of £30 to £40 month in Tax. As I understand it to set up an IPA for NT purposes only attracts a charge of £150 which is supposed to come out of the first payment - "Houston we have a problem"

Can someone tell me is the "NT measure" as the discretion of the OR and if so are there any guidance figures for when it becomes practical. In other words how much tax do you have to be paying per month before this is likely to be enacted?
Page 1
    • debt doctor
    • By debt doctor 6th Oct 17, 5:56 PM
    • 4,135 Posts
    • 5,804 Thanks
    debt doctor
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:56 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:56 PM
    The OR does have discretion and so whether you get an NT tax IPA varies across the country. With limited staff time to administer the code coupled with low financial benefit is the most likely reason not to issue one.
    Some ORs, however, seem to do an NT IPA in every possible case.
    In any event it should not have any overall affect upon you.
    DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
    • Butts
    • By Butts 6th Oct 17, 8:51 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Butts
    • 6th Oct 17, 8:51 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 8:51 PM
    The OR does have discretion and so whether you get an NT tax IPA varies across the country. With limited staff time to administer the code coupled with low financial benefit is the most likely reason not to issue one.
    Some ORs, however, seem to do an NT IPA in every possible case.
    In any event it should not have any overall affect upon you.
    DD
    Originally posted by debt doctor
    It seems strange to me that there is not a standard trigger figure to invoke a NT IPA across England and Wales.

What's the highest tax per month you have seen go through without attracting one ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,035Posts Today

8,058Users online

Martin's Twitter