Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kitkat5000
    • By kitkat5000 6th Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    kitkat5000
    Who Do I Make A Complaint Against
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    Who Do I Make A Complaint Against 6th Oct 17 at 12:47 PM
    Hello am not sure I'm posting this in the right area hence my question of I need to make a complaint against. Basically earlier this year I borrowed my granddads car to go to work not realizing I wasn't insured to drive it long story short got pulled over and received a fine and points. Thats not my issue I know I was in the wrong and I broke the law, I paid the fine immediately online and sent my license away and everything's done and dusted. However a month or so later I receive a court summons regarding the case, after a big chase around trying to find out who I need to contact about it I finally get on the phone to the fixed penalty office. They check into it and say yes they received the fine, the points were given and it seems it was just a miscommunication. I later receive a letter saying my summons has been withdrawn due to information received, yay. Today I receive a letter saying I've been summoned to court to discuss my license being disqualified, after calling them I've been told to email them evidence of this problem and I have done so and am waiting on a reply.
    Now my point is I'm furious, upset, scared and I want to make a complaint. They've caused me so much stress and worry and they've made so many mistakes, but my question is I don't know who to make the complaint about/to. Is it the courts, DVLA, penalty office, the police?! I'm not sure but I want to know who I make this complaint to and how I go about it.

Please and thanks.
Page 1
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 6th Oct 17, 12:55 PM
    • 8,978 Posts
    • 11,858 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:55 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:55 PM
    Yourself I would have thought for driving uninsured to the danger & expense of other decent road-users.

Readers of certain "news"-papers seem to blame Jezza ..

Whoever you decide on , start with an LBA then small-claims via MCoL: Great, detailed, guidance on CaB website (make sure you have the right country - England, Wales, Scotland...)

Cheers!
    • societys child
    • By societys child 6th Oct 17, 12:58 PM
    • 4,689 Posts
    • 5,061 Thanks
    societys child
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:58 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:58 PM
    Don't know who you'd complain to in the circumstances, thank goodness you weren't involved in an accident whilst uninsured.
    That'd have caused more than just stress.

• DUTR
    • By DUTR 6th Oct 17, 1:23 PM
    • 10,949 Posts
    • 6,229 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:23 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:23 PM
    Hello am not sure I'm posting this in the right area hence my question of I need to make a complaint against. Basically earlier this year I borrowed my granddads car to go to work not realizing I wasn't insured to drive it long story short got pulled over and received a fine and points. Thats not my issue I know I was in the wrong and I broke the law, I paid the fine immediately online and sent my license away and everything's done and dusted. However a month or so later I receive a court summons regarding the case, after a big chase around trying to find out who I need to contact about it I finally get on the phone to the fixed penalty office. They check into it and say yes they received the fine, the points were given and it seems it was just a miscommunication. I later receive a letter saying my summons has been withdrawn due to information received, yay. Today I receive a letter saying I've been summoned to court to discuss my license being disqualified, after calling them I've been told to email them evidence of this problem and I have done so and am waiting on a reply.
    Now my point is I'm furious, upset, scared and I want to make a complaint. They've caused me so much stress and worry and they've made so many mistakes, but my question is I don't know who to make the complaint about/to. Is it the courts, DVLA, penalty office, the police?! I'm not sure but I want to know who I make this complaint to and how I go about it.

Please and thanks.
    Originally posted by kitkat5000
    Why not go to court on the said date and lodge your defence?
    It would be closed once and or all.
    • kitkat5000
    • By kitkat5000 6th Oct 17, 1:27 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kitkat5000
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:27 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:27 PM
    I wasn't aware my insurance didn't cover me to drive other vehicles and realise I made a mistake. And as far as a "complaint" against myself being fined and receiving six points is my punishment and should be done with. But thank you for the recomendation I'll look into that.
    • kitkat5000
    • By kitkat5000 6th Oct 17, 1:31 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kitkat5000
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:31 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:31 PM
    Because I paid the fine and sent my license off in the first place to avoid going to court. As I said I've sent an email as they requested with evidence, if they insist on my going to court I will of course take the evidence with me to prove I did what they asked and sent a withdrawl letter. I just don't want to wait 4 months with this hanging over my head when I sorted it all ages ago.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 6th Oct 17, 1:38 PM
    • 772 Posts
    • 1,201 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:38 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:38 PM
    If you're going to write anything to anyone official, try to keep it entirely to the point, and use proper sentences and paragraphs.
    I'm not having a dig, but big blocks of text tend to say "rant" to a lot of people, and they skim it.
    • kitkat5000
    • By kitkat5000 6th Oct 17, 2:09 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kitkat5000
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:09 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:09 PM
    If was writing an offical letter to somone I would write it much better, the post is not my best because I only have a phone to write it on I'm afraid but thanks for the advice anyways.
    • kitkat5000
    • By kitkat5000 6th Oct 17, 2:11 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kitkat5000
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:11 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:11 PM
    I've had my license nearly 4 years but I'm not sure you read my post at all, that information isn't relevant.
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 6th Oct 17, 2:41 PM
    • 2,443 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey

Readers of certain "news"-papers seem to blame Jezza ..
    Originally posted by theartfullodger

Corbyn, Clarkson or Kyle?

Please be more specific it helps to identify the newspaper
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 6th Oct 17, 3:06 PM
    • 5,259 Posts
    • 4,784 Thanks
    thescouselander
    Why not go to court on the said date and lodge your defence?
    It would be closed once and or all.
    Originally posted by DUTR
    ^^^^^ this. I don't think you can trust the authorities to process your request properly afterall they have proven to be incompetent so far. Better to turn up to court with the appropriate evidence and have the matter settled once and for all
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 6th Oct 17, 3:18 PM
    • 2,305 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    Car 54
    If you're going to write anything to anyone official, try to keep it entirely to the point, and use proper sentences and paragraphs.
    Originally posted by Jackmydad
    And learn to spell 'licence'
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 6th Oct 17, 3:19 PM
    • 1,026 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    Yourself I would have thought for driving uninsured to the danger & expense of other decent road-users.
    Originally posted by theartfullodger
    The OP made a mistake has paid the fine taken the points and is asking for some advice and you get all sanctimonious.

Why would you do that? Does it make you feel better about yourself? Have you led a pure and blameless life that gives you the right to cast the first stone?
    ‘I’m not in favour of this new-age drippiness’ JRM
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 6th Oct 17, 3:34 PM
    • 861 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    Have you got any earlier points on your licence, or is it just the six for no insurance?
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 6th Oct 17, 3:36 PM
    • 2,108 Posts
    • 2,021 Thanks
    Alter ego
    I've had my license nearly 4 years but I'm not sure you read my post at all, that information isn't relevant.
    Originally posted by kitkat5000
    It would be very relevant if you'd had it less than 2yrs. I did read yours and found no answer to that point.
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 6th Oct 17, 4:48 PM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 3,391 Thanks
    DoaM
    It would be very relevant if you'd had it less than 2yrs. I did read yours and found no answer to that point.
    Originally posted by Alter ego
    And I can see why you asked ... if it was less than 2 years then it would have made the disqualification point relevant.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 6th Oct 17, 4:56 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    And I can see why you asked ... if it was less than 2 years then it would have made the disqualification point relevant.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Why? They don't disqualify for six points.
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 6th Oct 17, 5:22 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    angrycrow
    Why? They don't disqualify for six points.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    6 points in the first 2 years of driving results in the licence being cancelled.

https://www.gov.uk/penalty-points-endorsements/new-drivers
    • facade
    • By facade 6th Oct 17, 5:40 PM
    • 2,865 Posts
    • 1,457 Thanks
    facade
    This is true, but the DVLA write to you to inform you of a revocation under the new drivers rules. You do not have to attend court.
    You do have to attend court if you face disqualification under the totting rule. This means you cannot accept a fixed penalty that takes your points total beyond 11.
    Reads to me as if they are trying to apply the 6 points twice- they must think that the fixed penalty was refused and are prosecuting for the original offence, and counting the 6 points from the fixed penalty.

If the summons is re-issued, or not cancelled, go over to pepipoo dot com and post there for good advice.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 6th Oct 17, 5:47 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    6 points in the first 2 years of driving results in the licence being cancelled.

https://www.gov.uk/penalty-points-endorsements/new-drivers
    Originally posted by angrycrow
    But you're not disqualified.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,006Posts Today

9,786Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin