Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doverdover
    • By doverdover 6th Oct 17, 12:45 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 2Thanks
    doverdover
    Letting agent not responding to emails regarding repairs
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:45 PM
    Letting agent not responding to emails regarding repairs 6th Oct 17 at 12:45 PM
    I am renting a property (sole tenant) in England, 12 month AST.

We have a few issues with the house, one of which is damp caused by a leak in the roof.

The property is managed by a letting agent, on behalf of a landlord. They have said that the landlord does not want to fix the roof, and have not responded to my emails now for a whole month (I've sent three in that time). What do I do next?

I have already reported this to the council. I cannot get the landlord's details as the letting agent won't provide any (I know they should, but I have asked several times and they always say no).

Do I write a complaint to the letting agent, should I report them to a redress scheme?
Page 1
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 6th Oct 17, 12:49 PM
    • 261 Posts
    • 322 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:49 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:49 PM
    Have you reported the issues in writing (eg letter, stamp) ?
    • doverdover
    • By doverdover 6th Oct 17, 12:52 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    doverdover
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:52 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:52 PM
    Yes!

Letters, emails, I've stopped phonecalls as found they were agreeing to things and then denying the conversation ever took place.

I have not sent a letter to the landlord as I have no address.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 6th Oct 17, 12:57 PM
    • 10,760 Posts
    • 12,638 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:57 PM
    Everything you need to know is here:

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/what_to_do_if_your_landlord_wont_do_repairs

including the LA refusing to give you the LL's contact details.

But look on your tenancy agreement. There should be the name and address of your LL there, even if it is c/o the LA. Copy letters to LL using this address.
    • mrginge
    • By mrginge 6th Oct 17, 12:57 PM
    • 4,212 Posts
    • 7,485 Thanks
    mrginge
    What is wrong with the roof
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 6th Oct 17, 12:59 PM
    • 261 Posts
    • 322 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:59 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:59 PM
    Make sure you point out to your LA Section 1 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/70

If they still don't reply then report them to whichever redress scheme they use.
    Last edited by Slithery; 06-10-2017 at 1:02 PM.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 6th Oct 17, 1:45 PM
    • 2,710 Posts
    • 2,696 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:45 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:45 PM
    Make sure you point out to your LA Section 1 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/70

If they still don't reply then report them to whichever redress scheme they use.
    Originally posted by Slithery
    I'm wondering if it's best to leave the bold part out, when they refuse or don't reply within 21 days report them and hopefully they will be fined.
    • corell
    • By corell 6th Oct 17, 2:03 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    corell
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:03 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:03 PM
    I'm surprised it's not been suggested yet, but you can get your LL's address from the landregistry. Costs approx £3.
    I too have lived in a house with damp caused by holes in the roof and it's a nightmare. Hope you get sorted.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Oct 17, 2:06 PM
    • 516 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:06 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:06 PM
    I'm surprised it's not been suggested yet, but you can get your LL's address from the landregistry. Costs approx £3.
    I too have lived in a house with damp caused by holes in the roof and it's a nightmare. Hope you get sorted.
    Originally posted by corell

Only if it's on there, often it's not.
    • doverdover
    • By doverdover 6th Oct 17, 2:30 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    doverdover
    Thank you.

I have done this, and the property is registered to a company overseas, which despite investigating at length, I can't find any information about!
    • G_M
    • By G_M 6th Oct 17, 2:34 PM
    • 41,504 Posts
    • 47,906 Thanks
    G_M
    Why not follow the advice provided last time you asked a similar question:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5717410
    • doverdover
    • By doverdover 6th Oct 17, 2:39 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    doverdover
    As I discussed in that thread, I have now contacted environmental health. This hasn't encouraged the agent to speak to me though.

This is a forum for asking questions on - why be chippy with people doing that?
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 6th Oct 17, 4:33 PM
    • 11,012 Posts
    • 15,188 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    It’s a forum where people give up their time to help others whereas some forum users just start multiple threads about the same or connected issues without contributing anything else.

The only thing you have to complain about to the letting agent is them not supplying the landlord’s contact details. Follow their complaints procedure and if that doesn’t lead to a satisfactory outcome escalate the matter through whichever redress scheme the letting agent is registered with.

If you have any more questions about this tenancy update one of your existing threads so people don’t waste time giving you advice you’ve already had.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 6th Oct 17, 6:38 PM
    • 41,504 Posts
    • 47,906 Thanks
    G_M
    As I discussed in that thread, I have now contacted environmental health. This hasn't encouraged the agent to speak to me though.

This is a forum for asking questions on - why be chippy with people doing that?
    Originally posted by doverdover
    Had you added your new comments and questions to the original thread, we'd have all had the full background, and thus been able to respond more appropriately.

For example, the fact that you've been in touch with EH is highly relevant to what your next step should be, but this was omitted from your posts on this thread.

And a lot of the adice given you in this thread, in good faith, is simply duplication of the earlier advice.

Yes - you can ask what you like, when & where you like.

but those of us who give out time (freely!) to respond don't like feeling we're having that time wasted

I'm out..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,544Posts Today

9,339Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin