Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HowieLO6
    • By HowieLO6 6th Oct 17, 12:32 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    HowieLO6
    Legal advice post-separation
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:32 PM
    Legal advice post-separation 6th Oct 17 at 12:32 PM
    One long-time reader, first-time poster here, and one who appreciates that this might not be the right forum for this, but I figured it was worth a try!

To give a little context, I bought with my now-ex three years ago. The initial equity was around a 57/43% split in her favour, with her also being the bigger earner, and thus contributor to the mortgage. To date, she's paid c.22k and I've paid 11ks worth of mortgage. To add to that, the past year I've been back studying, so she has paid the entire mortgage, whilst I've been contributing c.£120 pm for certain bills. I've been paying said bills whilst living away from the flat since moving out in April.

I'm not here to discuss why she couldnt resist her friend's brother (I know, but had to be clear that I'm trying to remain positive, etc), but I'm in a position where I need to know my legal rights with regards to whether or not I can insist that the property be sold, and what my rights are to any income from the flat, given my stake in it.

With regards to my rights as to insisting the flat be sold, its (maybe) a little petty of me, I know, but I spent some serious time over the summer redecorating (at a time when I foolishly thought that we could work through her indiscretions), including rebuilding the kitchen for her, to give her some calm space in which to live. I've also handbuilt fitted kitchen and bathroom furniture, and I don't really want her to enjoy it with her new beau. So, despite her paying the mortgage this past year or so, can I refuse any attempt for her to buy me out and insist that it goes onto the open market?

Regarding the income, I know she intends to rent out the second bedroom, so as to ease the mortgage burden. I've no problem with her wanting to do that, but given that I own a certain percentage of the property, am I entitled to any share of that?

Obviously a bit of an odd subject to be discussing on this forum, but I'm not sure who else to ask. She is, I suspect, already well lawyered up, given her circle of City friends and family, but I'd like to know if I have any rights.
    Thanks all.
Page 2
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 7th Oct 17, 11:25 AM
    • 11,202 Posts
    • 15,655 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    If she wants to and can afford to just let her buy you out and move on with your life.

If you want actual legal advice you will need to stick your hand in your pocket.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 7th Oct 17, 11:26 AM
    • 11,202 Posts
    • 15,655 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    There's a duplicate thread on the Marriages, Relationships and Families board.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73228049#post73228049
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • darrellrobo
    • By darrellrobo 17th Nov 17, 2:09 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    darrellrobo
    help needed urgently
    i have had a property empty for a few years i have seen it on auction sites smd it was solf earlier this year I went to the property and someone was living in the house..
    i have no mortgage the house was paid for
    the only possible debt would be for unpaid council tax

no one has made any attempt to contact me.
    can this be done
    is it legal.
    and is there anything i can do.
    it looks like it was sold for about 2 thrids to 3 quarters below the average selling prices of houses on same street
    thanks darrell
    • darrellrobo
    • By darrellrobo 17th Nov 17, 2:20 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    darrellrobo
    help needed urgently my house has been sold without my knowledge
    ave had a property empty for a few years i have seen it on auction sites smd it was solf earlier this year I went to the property and someone was living in the house..

can this be done
    is it legal.
    it looks like it was sold for about 2 thrids to 3 quarters below the average selling prices of houses on same street
    thanks darrell
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 17th Nov 17, 2:30 PM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 678 Thanks
    saajan_12
    ave had a property empty for a few years i have seen it on auction sites smd it was solf earlier this year I went to the property and someone was living in the house..

can this be done
    is it legal.
    thanks darrell
    Originally posted by darrellrobo
    Start a new thread, you'll get many more responses.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,902Posts Today

8,612Users online

Martin's Twitter