Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scrumpyjax
    • By scrumpyjax 6th Oct 17, 12:16 PM
    • 113Posts
    • 14Thanks
    scrumpyjax
    young driver insurance
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:16 PM
    young driver insurance 6th Oct 17 at 12:16 PM
    Hi...My 17yr old wants his first car and he's taking lessons.
    I've been trying to get a rough idea of the insurance cost for him but because he hasn't got a car yet I've got nowhere.
    Its going to be a 1.2 ..but that's all I know.
    Is there anyway round this??
Page 1
    • Jsnb88
    • By Jsnb88 6th Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Jsnb88
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    Check on the car before you insure, my girlfriend passed (aged 21) and I bought my grandads seat Ibiza 1 litre as a surprise, got home the quotes where ridiculous (around £2400), picked a c3 the next day and payed about £1200 with a black box
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 6th Oct 17, 12:56 PM
    • 30,106 Posts
    • 19,055 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:56 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:56 PM
    Think boy racer cars and go for the opposite so a C3.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 6th Oct 17, 12:59 PM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 2,216 Thanks
    Aretnap
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:59 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:59 PM
    Look on a price comparison site, enter his details and try inputting a few different types of car - that'll give you an idea, and also give you some guidance on what type of car to go for. As above note that even with small, low powered cars there's a lot of difference. And a small lower powered car isn't necessarily cheapest - some people have found that a very boring, grown up car like a Mondeo or an old Volvo can be quite cheap for young drivers - basically because no self-respecting boy racer would be seen dead in one.

(Pay no attention to "insurance groups" which are a marketing gimmick used by people who sell small engined cars and have little or no correlation to actual insurance prices)

Also when getting quotes enter his details as if he's just passed his test, as the premium for a newly qualified young driver will be a lot higher than for a learner.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    • 25,870 Posts
    • 10,297 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 7th Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    Roughly £1200 - £8000. £8000 for a £600 Freelander.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

302Posts Today

3,512Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin