Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WobblyDog
    • By WobblyDog 6th Oct 17, 11:56 AM
    • 411Posts
    • 263Thanks
    WobblyDog
    Taking a job in a company where previous co-workers work
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:56 AM
    Taking a job in a company where previous co-workers work 6th Oct 17 at 11:56 AM
    I might be offered a job in a largish company, which looks generally good.

I've just found out that a couple of people I've previously worked with and didn't really get on with work there, and have for several years. They probably don't have a high opinion of me either.

I'm concerned that if I take the job it could be awkward, particularly as I would be on probation and one of them is fairly senior (although that person is not in the part of the company I would join, the other one is).

I think the lesson is never fall out with your co-workers. Any suggestions? Should I decline this oportunity?
    Last edited by WobblyDog; 06-10-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Page 1
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 6th Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    • 4,609 Posts
    • 7,273 Thanks
    Gavin83
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:36 PM
    Depends how closely you'll be working with them and how much it'll bother you. If their opinion of you isn't great I'd be surprised if you get an offer at all. If someone was applying for a job in my team and I found out someone I knew had worked with them previously I'd be asking their opinion. Much better info than any reference or job interview could provide.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 6th Oct 17, 12:42 PM
    • 2,863 Posts
    • 1,503 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:42 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:42 PM
    I would take it. They could have awful memory seriously.

Last week I had an interview where the the company's customers were most of my ex employers, it never crossed my mind, no idea till I got to the interview - I would have accepted the job.

Just think what if you didn't know?
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 6th Oct 17, 1:04 PM
    • 3,943 Posts
    • 4,022 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:04 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 1:04 PM
    I see no reason not to take the job. You say it's several years since you worked together so hopefully both sides will have mellowed. I've worked with plenty of people I didn't particularly like over the years, that's a simple fact of life.
    I would be polite to them and not even mention that you had worked together in the past unless they bring it up. If they do bring it up simply say something along the lines of you thought they looked familiar and leave it at that.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 6th Oct 17, 2:47 PM
    • 6,261 Posts
    • 4,785 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:47 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:47 PM
    Depends on the extent you've antagonised them in the past and if they're the type of individuals who would welcome the opportunity to even old scores.

Only you can know how they would react to you rolling up one Mon morning.
    Imagination is a mental faculty that serves as a coping mechanism for those who can't or won't accept reality - unicorns and dragons and wives who don't nag, are all figments of the "imagination".

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 6th Oct 17, 3:08 PM
    • 9,731 Posts
    • 7,757 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 6th Oct 17, 3:08 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 3:08 PM
    I often wonder what it would be like if you accept a job offer and on your first day there find out that your line manager is none other than that girl you unceremoniously dumped or cheated on a few years ago
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 6th Oct 17, 3:20 PM
    • 3,943 Posts
    • 4,022 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 6th Oct 17, 3:20 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 3:20 PM
    I just want to share with you some tips when you work with co-workers. One of the most important hiring criteria for many companies is the ability to work as a team player—yet, so many of us have colleagues who don’t play well with others. “A department, or company, that works well together, has the most success together. When you enjoy working with your colleagues and look forward to interacting with them, everyone benefits.” Working with other team members whom you have a great work relationship with can actually make work fun, he says. “Morale is high, which leads to better productivity, which leads to better results.”
    Originally posted by trucdev88
    You can be a team player without needing to like everybody you work with. It's about working together to get the job done, it's not a social club. I agree it can make things easier if you like the people you are working with, but acknowledging and appreciating the abilities of others is more important to me.
    • Planet Switzerland
    • By Planet Switzerland 8th Oct 17, 9:18 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    Planet Switzerland
    • 8th Oct 17, 9:18 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 9:18 PM
    Think about it the other way round, if a former colleague you didn't get on with got a job at a company you were already working at would you resign?

I don't think I've worked anywhere where I've liked all of my work colleagues. You never know, these people might leave the company soon anyway.
    • zugzwang
    • By zugzwang 8th Oct 17, 10:33 PM
    • 449 Posts
    • 1,156 Thanks
    zugzwang
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:33 PM
    • 8th Oct 17, 10:33 PM
    If someone was vindictive in the past and in a position to create problems again then Id think twice before taking the job.

But isnt it a fair bet with most people that the past is all water under the bridge?

However you could contact them in a friendly, humble way (linkedin?) after you have the job offer and ask them what it's like to work there. You could then factor in how they react into whether to take the job.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

128Posts Today

1,470Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin