Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Damagedcar
    • By Damagedcar 6th Oct 17, 11:32 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Damagedcar
    Wall not aligned correctly?!
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:32 AM
    Wall not aligned correctly?! 6th Oct 17 at 11:32 AM
    imgur.cxm/a/UdcBz

Can anyone shed any light on what on earth is going on here? Both window and door are correctly aligned in the wall so it's the wall above them that isn't straight.

The wall above the door is 2 cm out of alignment and wall above the window by 1 cm which is noticeable and frankly alarming as it's an external load bearing wall.
Page 1
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 6th Oct 17, 11:56 AM
    • 1,464 Posts
    • 1,920 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:56 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:56 AM
    https://imgur.com/a/UdcBz

Is it a new build? My house is old but there's not a true right angle in the place and all the windows are a bit wonky. Doesn't appear to have caused any bother. If it's new then I guess if nothing else it's a bit sloppy which doesn't bode well.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 6th Oct 17, 11:58 AM
    • 13,264 Posts
    • 17,482 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:58 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:58 AM
    There isn't a single wall in my house that is straight.

It been standing for over 300 years.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Damagedcar
    • By Damagedcar 6th Oct 17, 12:00 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Damagedcar
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:00 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:00 PM
    The house was built in 1974 and everything else, from what I can tell, seems very well constructed. There are no issues in the room above for example.

Do you think these issues are cosmetic or could it be something worse like misaligned lintel or subsidence? My surveyor was pretty bad and so I can easily imagine him missing these when we bought the house a few months ago.

If it is cosmetic could a plaster straighten it out?
    • Damagedcar
    • By Damagedcar 6th Oct 17, 12:01 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Damagedcar
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:01 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:01 PM
    Thank you, both that's very reassuring.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 6th Oct 17, 12:06 PM
    • 1,464 Posts
    • 1,920 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:06 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:06 PM
    I really wouldn't worry if it's been like that since 1974. I'm sure you could get something cosmetic done if it really bothers you. I wouldn't think it's got anything to do with movement. Probably always been like that (but just my guess!). I've got used to the slopes in my house - my only gripe is that it looks like the blind I fitted to my living room window is wonky when it's actually the windowsill!
    • teneighty
    • By teneighty 6th Oct 17, 12:42 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    teneighty
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:42 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:42 PM
    Are we looking at a 200mm difference in height between either side of the door? Surely that is a typo....20mm perhaps?

Put a spirit level on the top of the door frame and the ceiling and see which is sloping.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 6th Oct 17, 12:46 PM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,529 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:46 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 12:46 PM
    The house was built in 1974.
    Originally posted by Damagedcar
    Mine was built in 75, I don't have much in the way of wonky walls, but it took me 4 hours to hang each new door due to the door frames being so badly built, literally 2 inches wider at the tops than the bottoms..... The missus thought I was just being lazy until I got her to help me hang a couple of them.

I've now come to the conclusion that everyone in 1975 was stoned off their face
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 6th Oct 17, 2:17 PM
    • 2,910 Posts
    • 1,660 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:17 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 2:17 PM
    Looks to me like the reveal is wonky, not the wall/ceiling line. Not uncommon to find wonky lines and corners in most houses, even new build ones!

If it bothers you that much, the solution is to find a good plasterer who can remove the plaster back to the brick/block, patch it up with plasterboard and bonding plaster to make a nice straight line and patch skim the area for a seamless repair.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 6th Oct 17, 2:38 PM
    • 1,324 Posts
    • 1,254 Thanks
    Grenage
    Ignore it; you'll forget all about it in a week.
    • WobblyDog
    • By WobblyDog 6th Oct 17, 7:03 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    WobblyDog
    As long as it's not moving, and cracks aren't appearing, I wouldn't worry about it.

One of the ceilings in my 1980s house slopes. There are only a few houses like mine on the estate, and I think the builders never got enough practice building that model to get everything right.
    • daivid
    • By daivid 6th Oct 17, 9:15 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    daivid
    Whilst 2cm over a small distance is poor, as others have said if there are no signs of recent movement I see no reason for alarm. My house is of a very similar age, going round with a laser level would be far from a pleasing experience. In fact I could probably get to double figures finding things out of true by eye alone - slightly wavy ceilings, brick courses, internal walls slightly off perpendicular or parallel... There is no evidence however that this is anything other than the way the house has always been, and the house seems entirely solid and secure.
    Last edited by daivid; 06-10-2017 at 9:17 PM. Reason: typo
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 7th Oct 17, 11:19 AM
    • 15,158 Posts
    • 13,585 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    surely it's the ceiling that isn't straight?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 7th Oct 17, 11:55 AM
    • 2,910 Posts
    • 1,660 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    The ceiling and window frame seem parallel to me. The reveal is badly plastered.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 7th Oct 17, 12:02 PM
    • 4,295 Posts
    • 5,518 Thanks
    jack_pott
    My neighbour came knocking at the door a while ago because he'd discovered that the garden wall was about two inches off a line square with the front of the house. It's only about a degree out, and it seemed to satisfy him when I pointed out that the rooms in the house are further out of square than that.

Surely that is a typo....20mm perhaps?
    Originally posted by teneighty
    If it's not a typo, that doorway is about 28' wide and 70' high.

Mine was built in 75, I don't have much in the way of wonky walls, but it took me 4 hours to hang each new door due to the door frames being so badly built, literally 2 inches wider at the tops than the bottoms..... The missus thought I was just being lazy until I got her to help me hang a couple of them.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    The frame of my French window has a double bend in the side opposite the hinge. It's only a few millimetres, but it took all day to plane a matching curve accurately enough to stop it from looking as if I couldn't plane in a straight line. It was the same making the back of the worktop fit the kitchen wall.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

216Posts Today

1,356Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin